Ugly Hedgehog - Photography
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
should I swap out my lens
Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
Mar 27, 2023 12:04:28   #
hdfilmnoir Loc: New Mexico
 
Well Hedgehogs, I know you get a lot of request about which lens to use and I always felt someone has the answer here or will a least point me in the right direction. I have an upcoming trip to Alaska and I was thinking of swapping out my Canon prime 400 mm lens for a Sigma 105-600. I love the canon but I was wondering if I will get the reach I'm looking for. Think Beers and moose is what I'm looking for. I would mount this on my Canon r5.

Thank All!
hd

Reply
Mar 27, 2023 12:13:11   #
bsprague Loc: Lacey, WA, USA
 
Do it!

I drove to Alaska and back last summer. I use a Lumix M4/3 camera and a lens that has the view angle equivalent to a full frame 200-800 lens. It was in the long end a lot!

Reply
Mar 27, 2023 12:21:46   #
charles tabb Loc: Richmond VA.
 
hdfilmnoir wrote:
Well Hedgehogs, I know you get a lot of request about which lens to use and I always felt someone has the answer here or will a least point me in the right direction. I have an upcoming trip to Alaska and I was thinking of swapping out my Canon prime 400 mm lens for a Sigma 105-600. I love the canon but I was wondering if I will get the reach I'm looking for. Think Beers and moose is what I'm looking for. I would mount this on my Canon r5.

Thank All!
hd


I think that Beers always beat any lens. (GRIN)

Reply
 
 
Mar 27, 2023 12:56:24   #
PHRubin Loc: Nashville TN USA
 
I know of 3 150-600 lenses. I think you would be happy with the change. which of the Sigma are you contemplating? I chose the Tamron G2.

Reply
Mar 27, 2023 13:16:50   #
Retired CPO Loc: Travel full time in an RV
 
hdfilmnoir wrote:
Well Hedgehogs, I know you get a lot of request about which lens to use and I always felt someone has the answer here or will a least point me in the right direction. I have an upcoming trip to Alaska and I was thinking of swapping out my Canon prime 400 mm lens for a Sigma 105-600. I love the canon but I was wondering if I will get the reach I'm looking for. Think Beers and moose is what I'm looking for. I would mount this on my Canon r5.

Thank All!
hd


Don't know about the Beers, but the Moose and the Bears will need more than 400mm. And the Caribou. And the Bison if you're driving. The Woodland Bison in the Yukon are about 1.5 times as large as the Bison in Yellowstone!! They are HUGE! And the Stone Sheep. And the Mountain Goats. And the Wolves! I think you see where I'm going with this!
I LOVE Alaska!!

Reply
Mar 27, 2023 13:26:33   #
Retired CPO Loc: Travel full time in an RV
 
PHRubin wrote:
I know of 3 150-600 lenses. I think you would be happy with the change. which of the Sigma are you contemplating? I chose the Tamron G2.


Just my opinion, but run far and fast if the only thing on offer is a Tamron big zoom!! I don't have a problem with short Tamron's, but I've owned two Tamron big zooms and they were both awful at the long end!! And, let's face it, that's what you are buying with a big zoom. If it's not sharp beyond 400mm, then what's the point??

Reply
Mar 27, 2023 14:37:57   #
kb6kgx Loc: Simi Valley, CA
 
hdfilmnoir wrote:
Think Beers and moose is what I'm looking for. I would mount this on my Canon r5.

Thank All!
hd


Pretty sure you can get shots of “beers” with a nifty fifty! 😆

Reply
 
 
Mar 27, 2023 15:46:50   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
Your EOS R5 can handle the 400 f/5.6L with either the 1.4x or 2x EF extenders and retain AF. These would be better and cheaper choices. You're also shooting with 45MP where 400mm may be long enough to just crop from the results.

Reply
Mar 28, 2023 06:59:26   #
ELNikkor
 
What CHG_CANON said. (I wouldn't even bother with something so huge as a 600, which can still be short for up there. The M4/3 800 eqv. would be a much better companion, but that is a different system. Could get the Canon 800 f11 and up the ISO.)

Reply
Mar 28, 2023 07:23:04   #
spaceylb Loc: Long Beach, N.Y.
 
charles tabb wrote:
I think that Beers always beat any lens. (GRIN)



Reply
Mar 28, 2023 07:27:08   #
Clapperboard
 
Retired CPO wrote:
Just my opinion, but run far and fast if the only thing on offer is a Tamron big zoom!! I don't have a problem with short Tamron's, but I've owned two Tamron big zooms and they were both awful at the long end!! And, let's face it, that's what you are buying with a big zoom. If it's not sharp beyond 400mm, then what's the point??


I don't know what happened with your use of a 'Tamron big zoom' but I use the G2 150/600 as recommended by P.H. Rubin and love it. A number of my friends have bought the same spec lens and all have been delighted by the performance.

Reply
 
 
Mar 28, 2023 07:33:33   #
recb
 
Two options which are a great match with the R5: the RF800F11 or the RF100-500 with a 1.4 extender.

Reply
Mar 28, 2023 08:35:16   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
hdfilmnoir wrote:
Well Hedgehogs, I know you get a lot of request about which lens to use and I always felt someone has the answer here or will a least point me in the right direction. I have an upcoming trip to Alaska and I was thinking of swapping out my Canon prime 400 mm lens for a Sigma 105-600. I love the canon but I was wondering if I will get the reach I'm looking for. Think Beers and moose is what I'm looking for. I would mount this on my Canon r5.

Thank All!
hd


I always prefer a zoom to a fixed tele. Will 400mm be too short or too long? Yes, it will. A 105-600mm lens will give you much more leeway in framing a shot.

"Think Beers and moose is what I'm looking for." You'll probably find moose, but I doubt you'll find many beers in the Alaskan wilderness.

Reply
Mar 28, 2023 08:50:46   #
starlifter Loc: Towson, MD
 
I also shoot my Tamron 150-600 G2 at the long end frequently with great results. Any thing from butterflies to eagles and herons. I woul show examples but don't have access to my pics at the moment. Even shots taken wid open are good. Many people will be of different options but this works for me.

Reply
Mar 28, 2023 08:54:57   #
mikegreenwald Loc: Illinois
 
Retired CPO wrote:
Don't know about the Beers, but the Moose and the Bears will need more than 400mm. And the Caribou. And the Bison if you're driving. The Woodland Bison in the Yukon are about 1.5 times as large as the Bison in Yellowstone!! They are HUGE! And the Stone Sheep. And the Mountain Goats. And the Wolves! I think you see where I'm going with this!
I LOVE Alaska!!
Don't know about the Beers, but the Moose and the ... (show quote)


The longer lens will be very useful for Sheep and Goats if you're able to find them. Bison, not so much. I've never seen a Wolf in Alaska, and the 300 will work for Moose most of the time. Caribou are the reverse problem; I have driven right up to them in the middle of the road, and they wouldn't get out of the way! I finally lost patience, got out of the car, and shouted at them to move. They just looked at me. I finally threw a small rock at one of them, and then they slowly sauntered off the road.
Weight of the 150-600 is a big problem for quick handling, and if you have a high megapixel camera and are comfortable with post-processing, the 300 may be enough.

Reply
Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com
Copyright 2011-2024 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.