Ugly Hedgehog - Photography
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
DSLR, Point & Shoot, iPhone or nothing?
Page 1 of 5 next> last>>
Mar 24, 2023 11:02:16   #
fourlocks Loc: Londonderry, NH
 
My daughter, son-in-law (and grandchild) are taking my wife and me to Disney World, next month. I'm going largely to please my wife and kids but it's been 30 years since I took my kids there and a whole lot has changed since then. Gone are the days of walking up to the ticket booth and buying a ticket; everything's electronic and reserved ahead of time. Luckily, my kids have taken care of lodging, park tickets, rides and restaurants.

My question is what camera to take, if any? I have a Nikon D5600 (heavy & bulky), a Sony HX400V (lightweight and a little bulky) and, of course, an iPhone (no weight & no bulk). I'm not looking at this as a photography adventure and my wife can just as easily take snapshots to document our vacation as I can.

So I'm asking anyone who's been there: Is having a camera slung across your shoulder worth it? Or is a camera problematic when going on rides, walking around the various theme parks, etc.?

Reply
Mar 24, 2023 11:09:37   #
bsprague Loc: Lacey, WA, USA
 
Seems to me that the real question should be how to get good, memorable photos of the cute, charming and adorable grandkid....unless the grandkid isn't!

Reply
Mar 24, 2023 11:12:25   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
Last time I went to one of those parks I took my T1i with an 18-200.
Wide neck strap, carried cross-shoulder.
But I never know what I might want to shoot.
(Got some good ones from Hogsmead and Diagon Alley at Universal.)
Of course I always have my phone.

Reply
 
 
Mar 24, 2023 11:29:51   #
b top gun
 
I took our only grandchild to Disneyland in 2019, I had a Nikon D850 with me and a cell phone. Went to Disney World January 2022, had a Nikon D7100 with 18-200 DX VR lens and a Samsung cell phone. You will not see many real cameras at either theme park. A lot of the shots you might want to take, you will have to deal with everyone else and their "devices" wanting similar shots and videos. It can be a real hassle regardless!!! Obviously the real camera will produce larger image files that can be edited and cropped and still give enough data for enlargements. For sure real cameras are a hassle when you want to go on certain rides like Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and such. Based on my most recent experience (2022), be prepared for rude and inconsiderate, sadly it is everywhere at Disney FL especially. Make the best of the experience with the grandchild. Absolutely make sure someone can navigate the parks using the Disney apps, I let my granddaughter and her mom do all that for me, I simply tagged along, paid for most everything and did get some very nice shots with the D7100. I am very much old fashioned that way.

Reply
Mar 24, 2023 11:42:51   #
JD750 Loc: SoCal
 
Family photos and events are exactly the things that cell phone cameras are designed for and they provide great pics. Leave the boat anchor behind. Use your cell phone camera and focus on having fun with your kids and grandkids.

Reply
Mar 24, 2023 11:59:11   #
Fredrick Loc: Former NYC, now San Francisco Bay Area
 
fourlocks wrote:
My daughter, son-in-law (and grandchild) are taking my wife and me to Disney World, next month. I'm going largely to please my wife and kids but it's been 30 years since I took my kids there and a whole lot has changed since then. Gone are the days of walking up to the ticket booth and buying a ticket; everything's electronic and reserved ahead of time. Luckily, my kids have taken care of lodging, park tickets, rides and restaurants.

My question is what camera to take, if any? I have a Nikon D5600 (heavy & bulky), a Sony HX400V (lightweight and a little bulky) and, of course, an iPhone (no weight & no bulk). I'm not looking at this as a photography adventure and my wife can just as easily take snapshots to document our vacation as I can.

So I'm asking anyone who's been there: Is having a camera slung across your shoulder worth it? Or is a camera problematic when going on rides, walking around the various theme parks, etc.?
My daughter, son-in-law (and grandchild) are takin... (show quote)

Do you really need to ask this question? Haven’t you ever been to an amusement park? Only you know what your photography goals are for this trip. You do say “I’m not looking at this as a photography adventure.”
If that’s the case, then you’ve really answered your own question.

Reply
Mar 24, 2023 12:00:30   #
kenArchi Loc: Seal Beach, CA
 
Cell phone

Reply
 
 
Mar 24, 2023 12:01:41   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
Fredrick wrote:
Do you really need to ask this question? Haven’t you ever been to an amusement park? Only you know what your photography goals are for this trip. You do say “I’m not looking at this as a photography adventure.”
If that’s the case, then you’ve really answered your own question.


Reply
Mar 24, 2023 12:08:15   #
bittermelon
 
"My daughter, son-in-law (and grandchild) are taking my wife and me to Disney World,..."

Read as, "My daughter, son-in-law (and grandchild) are getting some babysitting service at Disney World,..."

Cellphone, maybe with a selfie stick so you can annoy as many others as possible (are selfie sticks allowed in the Park?).

Reply
Mar 24, 2023 12:17:16   #
Bfree2 Loc: Grants Pass, Or
 
Just before Covid I visited my son who lives in So.Cal who had an unlimited yearly pass. So he took me to the original park a few times during my visit. That being said, my first day there I lugged my d7200 around and yes it did get in the way a bit. The next visit I carried my Sony a6000 with a 30mm sigma, and the kit 16-50 mini tele. I kept the kit lens on all day because wearing cargo shorts I was able simply “pocket” the a6000 when not using. The last time we were heading home from an early dinner, and my sons wife said “let’s stop at the park” and then I only had my iPhone12. What an amazing little camera I thought. It had so many features and I appreciated the fact that it was with me. Since then I now have the 14 pro max, and have been utilizing even more of the features. I would suggest to watch YouTube ‘iPhone travel photography’ with Scott Kelby. My iPhone is now my “backup” when I’m out with my Sony a9.

Reply
Mar 24, 2023 12:21:26   #
Mike D. Loc: Crowley County, CO.
 
I think that Fredrick said it best and what we've done is really a moot issue.

Personally, I have always had a phone cam as have any adult in the party but I have always had another camera on my person.

Go and have fun, spend time with the family and DO NOT whine about how expensive things are. My wife and I have been listening to that nonsense for 25 years. It's not fair to give the little ones a complex because it costs money to go to such places. we know this going in...

Reply
 
 
Mar 24, 2023 12:24:59   #
Bfree2 Loc: Grants Pass, Or
 
Just before Covid I visited my son who lives in So.Cal who had an unlimited yearly pass. So he took me to the original park a few times during my visit. That being said, my first day there I lugged my d7200 around and yes it did get in the way a bit. The next visit I carried my Sony a6000 with a 30mm sigma, and the kit 16-50 mini tele. I kept the kit lens on all day because wearing cargo shorts I was able simply “pocket” the a6000 when not using. The last time we were heading home from an early dinner, and my sons wife said “let’s stop at the park” and then I only had my iPhone12. What an amazing little camera I thought. It had so many features and I appreciated the fact that it was with me. Since then I now have the 14 pro max, and have been utilizing even more of the features. I would suggest to watch YouTube ‘iPhone travel photography’ with Scott Kelby. My iPhone is now my “backup” when I’m out with my Sony a9.

Reply
Mar 24, 2023 15:38:57   #
insman1132 Loc: Southwest Florida
 
If you are looking at doing just "snapshots" I would take just your smartphone. You didn't say which iPhone you have, but I bet it will serve you well.

And, why not take a look at the Smartphone Camera Section of this great site to see what some others are getting out of their Smartphones. I think you will be impressed.

Reply
Mar 24, 2023 16:31:16   #
JD750 Loc: SoCal
 
insman1132 wrote:
If you are looking at doing just "snapshots" I would take just your smartphone. You didn't say which iPhone you have, but I bet it will serve you well.

And, why not take a look at the Smartphone Camera Section of this great site to see what some others are getting out of their Smartphones. I think you will be impressed.

He says it is an iPhone in the title of this post.

Reply
Mar 24, 2023 22:20:28   #
Blurryeyed Loc: NC Mountains.
 
fourlocks wrote:
My daughter, son-in-law (and grandchild) are taking my wife and me to Disney World, next month. I'm going largely to please my wife and kids but it's been 30 years since I took my kids there and a whole lot has changed since then. Gone are the days of walking up to the ticket booth and buying a ticket; everything's electronic and reserved ahead of time. Luckily, my kids have taken care of lodging, park tickets, rides and restaurants.

My question is what camera to take, if any? I have a Nikon D5600 (heavy & bulky), a Sony HX400V (lightweight and a little bulky) and, of course, an iPhone (no weight & no bulk). I'm not looking at this as a photography adventure and my wife can just as easily take snapshots to document our vacation as I can.

So I'm asking anyone who's been there: Is having a camera slung across your shoulder worth it? Or is a camera problematic when going on rides, walking around the various theme parks, etc.?
My daughter, son-in-law (and grandchild) are takin... (show quote)


Don't know what iPhone you have but it is probably the best choice, small, easy to operate, takes great videos, panoramas........ You might want to check your memory on the phone if that is the route you choose before you go.

Reply
Page 1 of 5 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com
Copyright 2011-2024 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.