Ugly Hedgehog - Photography
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Not understanding focus bracketing (Canon R5)
Page 1 of 2 next>
Mar 18, 2023 23:03:34   #
Basil Loc: New Mexico
 
Ok, so I wanted to play around with focus bracketing. After watching a few videos and how to do layer alignment and layer blending in PS, my first attempt seemed to come out ok, but my second attempt did not work so well. In the first two images, the first is a single image (R5 with 85mm f/2 @ f5.6) with the focus on the front of the coin. The second image is a composite of several images shot using the built in focus bracketing and the aligned and stacked in PS.

However for the second set of images, I could NOT get the focus point to move off the first bottle using focus bracketing no matter what I did. The resulting image was made by taking a series of images and manually moving the focus point. (Im going to post the images in a reply to this post because I don't want this post moved to gallery).

Any ideas why, in the image of the bottles, I could not get the focus point to move off the first bottle when using focus bracketing?

Reply
Mar 18, 2023 23:03:44   #
Basil Loc: New Mexico
 
Here are the images.

Single image, focus at front of coin
Single image, focus at front of coin...

Several images taken with focus bracketing on the R5, then aligned and blended in PS
Several images taken with focus bracketing on the ...

Line of bottles, single image w/ focus on first bottle
Line of bottles, single image w/ focus on first bo...

Series of 20 images, with focus point manually moved. Focus Bracketing in camera would not work
Series of 20 images, with focus point manually mov...

Reply
Mar 19, 2023 01:04:59   #
Orphoto Loc: Oregon
 
Perhaps lens or body set to manual focus?

Reply
 
 
Mar 19, 2023 06:12:45   #
Jrhoffman75 Loc: Conway, New Hampshire
 
Basil wrote:
Ok, so I wanted to play around with focus bracketing. After watching a few videos and how to do layer alignment and layer blending in PS, my first attempt seemed to come out ok, but my second attempt did not work so well. In the first two images, the first is a single image (R5 with 85mm f/2 @ f5.6) with the focus on the front of the coin. The second image is a composite of several images shot using the built in focus bracketing and the aligned and stacked in PS.

However for the second set of images, I could NOT get the focus point to move off the first bottle using focus bracketing no matter what I did. The resulting image was made by taking a series of images and manually moving the focus point. (Im going to post the images in a reply to this post because I don't want this post moved to gallery).

Any ideas why, in the image of the bottles, I could not get the focus point to move off the first bottle when using focus bracketing?
Ok, so I wanted to play around with focus bracketi... (show quote)


Did you follow the steps on page 240 of your camera manual?

Reply
Mar 19, 2023 08:44:58   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
Orphoto wrote:
Perhaps lens or body set to manual focus?

I'll guess this is how it's done, not AF...

Reply
Mar 19, 2023 08:58:50   #
Basil Loc: New Mexico
 
Orphoto wrote:
Perhaps lens or body set to manual focus?


No it was in AF. I made sure of that.

Reply
Mar 19, 2023 09:28:12   #
Basil Loc: New Mexico
 
Jrhoffman75 wrote:
Did you follow the steps on page 240 of your camera manual?


Yes.

Reply
 
 
Mar 19, 2023 09:53:41   #
Jrhoffman75 Loc: Conway, New Hampshire
 
Basil wrote:
Yes.


Images shot with focus bracketing using the camera tool (not manually focused) may only be editable using Canon DPP4.

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON. You may need to register your camera first.



Reply
Mar 19, 2023 12:22:42   #
Basil Loc: New Mexico
 
Jrhoffman75 wrote:
Images shot with focus bracketing using the camera tool (not manually focused) may only be editable using Canon DPP4.

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON. You may need to register your camera first.


The first set of images (my coin) used the camera's focus bracketing and I aligned the images in Photoshop just fine.

Reply
Mar 19, 2023 12:30:50   #
jayluber Loc: Phoenix, AZ
 
Try a tilt-shift lens. you can do this in one shot.

Reply
Mar 19, 2023 12:33:08   #
Jrhoffman75 Loc: Conway, New Hampshire
 
Basil wrote:
The first set of images (my coin) used the camera's focus bracketing and I aligned the images in Photoshop just fine.


Can you identify what changed between them then? Were all camera settings the same?

Reply
 
 
Mar 19, 2023 14:58:19   #
goldstar46 Loc: Tampa, Fl
 
Basil wrote:
Ok, so I wanted to play around with focus bracketing. After watching a few videos and how to do layer alignment and layer blending in PS, my first attempt seemed to come out ok, but my second attempt did not work so well. In the first two images, the first is a single image (R5 with 85mm f/2 @ f5.6) with the focus on the front of the coin. The second image is a composite of several images shot using the built in focus bracketing and the aligned and stacked in PS.

However for the second set of images, I could NOT get the focus point to move off the first bottle using focus bracketing no matter what I did. The resulting image was made by taking a series of images and manually moving the focus point. (Im going to post the images in a reply to this post because I don't want this post moved to gallery).

Any ideas why, in the image of the bottles, I could not get the focus point to move off the first bottle when using focus bracketing?
Ok, so I wanted to play around with focus bracketi... (show quote)

==============================================================

Basil....

Did you give any thought to the fact that only select lens will work with "focus stacking"

Check the below link... Just a thought

Let me know if this helps

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART177430

Cheers
Goldstar56
George Veazey

####

Reply
Mar 19, 2023 15:08:11   #
Jrhoffman75 Loc: Conway, New Hampshire
 
goldstar46 wrote:
==============================================================

Basil....

Did you give any thought to the fact that only select lens will work with "focus stacking"

Check the below link... Just a thought

Let me know if this helps

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART177430

Cheers
Goldstar56
George Veazey

####


This is later list: https://cam.start.canon/en/H001/supplement_0010.html

OP used 85mm f/2, which is supported.

Reply
Mar 19, 2023 15:16:52   #
goldstar46 Loc: Tampa, Fl
 
Jrhoffman75 wrote:
This is later list: https://cam.start.canon/en/H001/supplement_0010.html

OP used 85mm f/2, which is supported.



Reply
Mar 19, 2023 15:27:20   #
Maxpixel
 
In the menu for focus bracketing you specify the number of exposures and the “spread” between them. This is trial and error, but for something like the coin, the spread would be small. For the bottles the spread would be greater, and if you included something very distant, the spread would be wider. You have to play with these settings.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com
Copyright 2011-2024 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.