Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Will we ever get back to 3-d images and viewing?
Page 1 of 5 next> last>>
Jan 24, 2023 23:13:03   #
OldSchool-WI Loc: Brandon, Wisconsin 53919
 
As a child, I would marvel at the scenes from the world of 1900 on the 3d Stereoptican cards in our three boxes of cards. When home sick in grammar school, I would love to watch the world of "Around the World"--"Italy" (with all the statues) and--"Palestine, the Holy Land", boxes of our Underwood an Underwood cards. When I lived in DC in the late sixties, I bought items at a second hand store, run by a Mr. Kamras who told me he worked for Underwood and Underwood in 1900. I bought a 3d camera from him made by Goertz. Unfortunately it did not have the two Goertz Dagor lenses which he had previously sold. It did have the manual and all. Over the years I have been meaning to buy two identical focal length lenses and make my own cards.

So when will some manufacturer come out with a double lens digital camera and software plus either an electronic viewer or software to turn a double display image with the help of a hand held viewer to repeat history. Those cards were really great!-------------ew

Reply
Jan 24, 2023 23:22:03   #
OldSchool-WI Loc: Brandon, Wisconsin 53919
 
_______________________(reply)
In college, I would visit a man born in the late 1860s who would tell me about the "old days." His own college graduation year was 1892. He went on to farm 600 acres with horses and the first huge gasoline tractors. He lost everything to the bankers following the post WWI boom and bust. Yet he lived a long life.

He told me that every family had many Stereoptican card boxes in their parlors for entertainment.
----------------------ew

Reply
Jan 24, 2023 23:25:50   #
User ID
 
3D has already come back ... yet again.

Its now called VR and with just a bit of attitude adjustment you might love it.

Reply
 
 
Jan 24, 2023 23:31:19   #
Real Nikon Lover Loc: Ventura County, California
 
1892 was the year my Paternal Grandfather was born. That was a long time ago. Sounds like you are nearing the same age as the man you talked to. I mean that with all respect. I was born in the mid-50s and loved talking to older people when I was in my youth. I realize this is a bit off the subject you were asking about, it just strikes me warmly to hear of a young man befriending an older gentleman as I once did with an old gold miner who shared secrets with me about gold in California that still needs to be taken from the spots shared. Alas, I am too old and worn to go after the gold now that I have the time (retired).

Reply
Jan 24, 2023 23:34:28   #
Fotoartist Loc: Detroit, Michigan
 
OldSchool-WI wrote:
_______________________(reply)
In college, I would visit a man born in the late 1860s who would tell me about the "old days." His own college graduation year was 1892. He went on to farm 600 acres with horses and the first huge gasoline tractors. He lost everything to the bankers following the post WWI boom and bust. Yet he lived a long life.

He told me that every family had many Stereoptican card boxes in their parlors for entertainment.
----------------------ew


Stereo dayz come and they go. Stereo was my first love in photography for about 5 years 4 decades ago. Then I concentrated exclusively on 2D photography for the next 35 years. And now I am back to 3D. I needed the challenge. Depth is another dimension. It's like playing 3D chess. The competition is thinner but there are still some pretty big heavyweights in the field.



Reply
Jan 24, 2023 23:37:41   #
OldSchool-WI Loc: Brandon, Wisconsin 53919
 
To User ID who wrote: 3D has already come back ... yet again.
Its now called VR and with just a bit of attitude adjustment you might love it.
_______________________________(reply)

Maybe you do know more about your VR---but how does stitching views become three dimensional? But maybe you have just one eye---User Id?----------------

Reply
Jan 24, 2023 23:41:02   #
OldSchool-WI Loc: Brandon, Wisconsin 53919
 
Fotoartist wrote:
Stereo dayz come and they go. Stereo was my first love in photography for about 5 years 4 decades ago. Then I concentrated exclusively on 2D photography for the next 35 years. And now I am back to 3D. I needed the challenge. Depth is another dimension. It's like playing 3D chess. The competition is thinner but there are still some pretty big heavyweights in the field.

_______________________________(reply)

Obviously 3d has come and gone since the Civil War----but are you saying iti is back and DIGITAL?-----EW

Reply
 
 
Jan 24, 2023 23:49:51   #
OldSchool-WI Loc: Brandon, Wisconsin 53919
 
Hurrah----Maybe this is something actually AI can contribute? AI could synthetically create 3d out of 2d and shoot it into a special digital viewer. Maybe that would make camera companies return to profitability without merely beating dead horses?---------------ew

Reply
Jan 24, 2023 23:56:33   #
Real Nikon Lover Loc: Ventura County, California
 
Perhaps a purchase is in your future?
https://www.gadgetreview.com/best-3d-cameras

Reply
Jan 25, 2023 00:03:25   #
OldSchool-WI Loc: Brandon, Wisconsin 53919
 
Real Nikon Lover wrote:
Perhaps a purchase is in your future?
https://www.gadgetreview.com/best-3d-cameras


______________________-(reply)
Purchase of what? So far one contributor implied that 3d has hit the digital age? But has it? Do you know more about this? Or are we back to film and ViewMaster and other film cameras and viewers?-------------

Reply
Jan 25, 2023 00:06:32   #
User ID
 
OldSchool-WI wrote:
Hurrah----Maybe this is something actually AI can contribute? AI could synthetically create 3d out of 2d and shoot it into a special digital viewer. Maybe that would make camera companies return to profitability without merely beating dead horses?---------------ew


That will work. It does work. But all that is working is between AI and any image at all. The camera companies are out of the picture completely.

Reply
 
 
Jan 25, 2023 00:08:56   #
Real Nikon Lover Loc: Ventura County, California
 
OldSchool-WI wrote:
______________________-(reply)
Purchase of what? So far one contributor implied that 3d has hit the digital age? But has it? Do you know more about this? Or are we back to film and ViewMaster and other film cameras and viewers?-------------


The link previously posted provides a comparison of modern digital 3D cameras that are in the affordable range. Perhaps cheaper than trying to find the old lenses for your antique camera as well as save time and perhaps realize much better quality than years past. I am tempted to buy one of the aforementioned cameras just to try the bugger out.

Reply
Jan 25, 2023 00:09:40   #
OldSchool-WI Loc: Brandon, Wisconsin 53919
 
User ID wrote:
My third eye sees you. And things dont look so good for you. Metol poisioning is not the least of your maladies.


User ID wrote:
My third eye sees you. And things dont look so good for you. Metol poisioning is not the least of your maladies.

_______________________________(reply to User ID)

Are you (userID) incapable of anything but trouble making on all the UHH treads? And after you quip--you don't answer return questions like your claim that VR is 3d?-------But i have already been scolded for calling you what you have made yourself into on UHH. My post was dropped by the adim--probably after User ID---"ran to daddy with my off color depiction of you?"-----------------------

Reply
Jan 25, 2023 00:12:32   #
OldSchool-WI Loc: Brandon, Wisconsin 53919
 
User ID wrote:
That will work. It does work. But all that is working is between AI and any image at all. The camera companies are out of the picture completely.


________________________________(reply)
But there could be a race to realism and dedicated hardware to revive the nearly dead camera inustry.-------------

Reply
Jan 25, 2023 00:23:55   #
Real Nikon Lover Loc: Ventura County, California
 
OldSchool-WI wrote:
________________________________(reply)
But there could be a race to realism and dedicated hardware to revive the nearly dead camera inustry.-------------


Judging by the latest industry report for December, the camera industry is far from dead. In fact, it has made a significant rebound. Seeing the return of in person electronics (including camera) shows speaks well for the demand of products.

Reply
Page 1 of 5 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2023 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.