Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Links and Resources
Costco Photo Notice
Jan 5, 2023 13:08:30   #
BBurns Loc: South Bay, California
 
Just received this notice from Costco.
Do you use any of their photo related services or have items stored on their site??
Please pay close attention as it will be change soon.

Costco Announcement

Reply
Jan 5, 2023 13:11:36   #
hk584 Loc: Queens, New York
 
Thank you for sharing.

Reply
Jan 5, 2023 13:18:24   #
delder
 
BBurns wrote:
Just received this notice from Costco.
Do you use any of their photo related services or have items stored on their site??
Please pay close attention as it will be change soon.

Costco Announcement


Just renews my lack of trust in
"The Cloud" for photo storage!

Computer Club [ABCUG] years ago kept all of our Archives/Photos
[We did a Photo Calendar] on a Yahoo Group that they did away with.

Reply
 
 
Jan 5, 2023 13:41:03   #
Jimmy T Loc: Virginia
 
BBurns wrote:
Just received this notice from Costco.
Do you use any of their photo related services or have items stored on their site??
Please pay close attention as it will be change soon.

Costco Announcement


I received this notice too, and it is a sad day for me as I depend on their 11.5 X 14" on heavy stock calendars for friends at Christmas.
I just hope that some UHHers will post their sources for similar size and quality calendars.
I just opened the Shutterfly and the largest wall calendar that they offer is 12 X 12".
There is no mention of the Shutterfly calendar paperweight at https://www.shutterfly.com/calendars
I am saddened by this Costco decision, but I understand that this is just a business decision, because photography is becoming entirely digital, sigh . . . . .
Best Wishes,
JimmyT Sends

Reply
Jan 5, 2023 14:07:10   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
I'll guess Costco is getting out of the photo business since they removed all the Photo Kiosks from their stores prior.
So they made (are making) arrangements with Shutterfly for a "Costco Member Discount".

Reply
Jan 5, 2023 14:18:16   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
delder wrote:
Just renews my lack of trust in
"The Cloud" for photo storage!

Computer Club [ABCUG] years ago kept all of our Archives/Photos
[We did a Photo Calendar] on a Yahoo Group that they did away with.


Why? Costco is giving notice to move them. And if one doesn't have copies on their hard drive of what they have at Costco, they have a huge organizational problem. I have the originals, COPIES are at Costco. I have a folder under PHOTOS of what is AT Costco. So if the were to go pouf at Costco, I've no problem,
And one should NOT be archiving images at a photo printing site, ONLY for printing! Nor "club" site, or a social media site. Like saying "I saved all my images on Facebook.". That's not archiving, those are (should be) copies.

Use a dedicated cloud storage site, no problems.
I've absolutely no qualms with using a dedicated cloud provider for backup.

Reply
Jan 5, 2023 16:21:20   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
Bummer, it appears that Shutterfly doesn't print 8x12s.

Reply
 
 
Jan 5, 2023 16:41:16   #
Jimmy T Loc: Virginia
 
Longshadow wrote:
Why? Costco is giving notice to move them. And if one doesn't have copies on their hard drive of what they have at Costco, they have a huge organizational problem. I have the originals, COPIES are at Costco. I have a folder under PHOTOS of what is AT Costco. So if the were to go pouf at Costco, I've no problem,
And one should NOT be archiving images at a photo printing site, ONLY for printing! Nor "club" site, or a social media site. Like saying "I saved all my images on Facebook.". That's not archiving, those are (should be) copies.

Use a dedicated cloud storage site, no problems.
I've absolutely no qualms with using a dedicated cloud provider for backup.
Why? Costco is giving notice to move them. And if ... (show quote)


Concur!
I know that the Costco site periodically deletes your uploaded files.
At least in my experience, they do. So all that I Ever upload are Copies for prints, calendars, etc.
They soon go bye-bye . . .
Best Wishes
JimmyT Sends

Reply
Jan 5, 2023 17:04:48   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
Jimmy T wrote:
Concur!
I know that the Costco site periodically deletes your uploaded files.
At least in my experience, they do. So all that I Ever upload are Copies for prints, calendars, etc.
They soon go bye-bye . . .
Best Wishes
JimmyT Sends

I just checked what I have saved at Costco, there are a couple of images from (in) "2017" and "2019" "albums"...
I've no idea what their purge criteria is. Maybe a bunch vs. a few??
Luckily, what I have at Costco are only copies of what is on my system.

I have a C:\Photos\_Uploads\Costco\ folder on my system.... just so I know what I have there.
I suppose I'll have to change it to Shutterfly, delete the 12 photos, and add a directory (folder) for Bay Photo.
It WAS nice when I could send the images to the Costco near me and go pick them up later.
Oh well, things change.

Reply
Jan 6, 2023 13:06:16   #
jack schade Loc: La Pine Oregon
 
Thanks for the post.

jack

Reply
Jan 6, 2023 13:49:56   #
Jimmy T Loc: Virginia
 
Longshadow wrote:
I just checked what I have saved at Costco, there are a couple of images from (in) "2017" and "2019" "albums"...
I've no idea what their purge criteria is. Maybe a bunch vs. a few??
Luckily, what I have at Costco are only copies of what is on my system.

I have a C:\Photos\_Uploads\Costco\ folder on my system.... just so I know what I have there.
I suppose I'll have to change it to Shutterfly, delete the 12 photos, and add a directory (folder) for Bay Photo.
It WAS nice when I could send the images to the Costco near me and go pick them up later.
Oh well, things change.
I just checked what I have saved at Costco, there ... (show quote)


You said, "It WAS nice when I could send the images to the Costco near me and go pick them up later."
I will miss that option too.
I liked to have photos printed and "dropped shipped", with free shipping, to relatives after attending a family reunion.
There are still some folks that still prefer to hold a pic and place it in their photo album.
I guess this is another change made in the name of progress, sigh . . . .
Best Wishes,
JimmyT Sends

Reply
 
 
Jan 6, 2023 18:42:30   #
PAR4DCR Loc: A Sunny Place
 
Thanks for the post.

Don

Reply
Jan 6, 2023 19:55:37   #
SENSORLOUPE
 
Jimmy T wrote:
You said, "It WAS nice when I could send the images to the Costco near me and go pick them up later."
I will miss that option too.
I liked to have photos printed and "dropped shipped", with free shipping, to relatives after attending a family reunion.
There are still some folks that still prefer to hold a pic and place it in their photo album.
I guess this is another change made in the name of progress, sigh . . . .
Best Wishes,
JimmyT Sends
You said, "It WAS nice when I could send the ... (show quote)


I will miss Costco photo too! Just wondering how long Walmart will keep their Photo printing.

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Links and Resources
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2023 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.