Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Successful (FINALLY) SSD install and clone - Ready to buy Topaz AI
Page 1 of 2 next>
Nov 24, 2022 17:08:25   #
KillroyII Loc: Middle Georgia
 
Previously asked questions about cloning… got some useful feedback on the UHH.

Received the Crucial 4TB M.2 PCIe and put it in the M.2 slot on the motherboard… then the PC would not boot… said there was no bootable media present.

Several hours of read/research figured it out. My motherboard has 6 SCSI data plugs; however, 2 of them are shared (with exclusive or use) with the M.2 slot/interface… and of course the kid I paid to build this PC, 8 years ago, plugged a SCSI HDD into one of the “shared” data ports… didn’t matter till I tried to use the M.2 slot. In defense of the kid, that plug was easier to get to… and everything worked… at the time.

After moving the offending HDD plug to an unused slot… booted fine.

After a bonehead move on my part, which I figured out immediately, Acronis did the Clone beautifully.

Didn’t notice till I had bought the SSD but it is PCIe 4 and my motherboard (8 years old) only supports 1, 2, & 3. Luckily, SSD is backward compatible to 3. That means the SSD is delivering half of its possible speed throughput… but it is so blazing fast I am fine with that. Plan to build a new PC, that is WinDOZE 11 compatible in 2025 and probably will use this SSD in it.

Reply
Nov 24, 2022 17:10:41   #
gmontjr2350 Loc: Southern NJ
 


George

Reply
Nov 25, 2022 07:55:41   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
I can sympathize. I just went through something similar with two computers.

Reply
 
 
Nov 25, 2022 08:53:31   #
Wasabi
 

Reply
Nov 25, 2022 09:48:29   #
Jimmy T Loc: Virginia
 
KillroyII wrote:
Previously asked questions about cloning… got some useful feedback on the UHH.

Received the Crucial 4TB M.2 PCIe and put it in the M.2 slot on the motherboard… then the PC would not boot… said there was no bootable media present.

Several hours of read/research figured it out. My motherboard has 6 SCSI data plugs; however, 2 of them are shared (with exclusive or use) with the M.2 slot/interface… and of course the kid I paid to build this PC, 8 years ago, plugged a SCSI HDD into one of the “shared” data ports… didn’t matter till I tried to use the M.2 slot. In defense of the kid, that plug was easier to get to… and everything worked… at the time.

After moving the offending HDD plug to an unused slot… booted fine.

After a bonehead move on my part, which I figured out immediately, Acronis did the Clone beautifully.

Didn’t notice till I had bought the SSD but it is PCIe 4 and my motherboard (8 years old) only supports 1, 2, & 3. Luckily, SSD is backward compatible to 3. That means the SSD is delivering half of its possible speed throughput… but it is so blazing fast I am fine with that. Plan to build a new PC, that is WinDOZE 11 compatible in 2025 and probably will use this SSD in it.
Previously asked questions about cloning… got some... (show quote)


Thanks for sharing your solutions with us.
Best Wishes,
JimmyT Sends

Reply
Nov 25, 2022 10:51:29   #
TriX Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
KillroyII wrote:
Previously asked questions about cloning… got some useful feedback on the UHH.

Received the Crucial 4TB M.2 PCIe and put it in the M.2 slot on the motherboard… then the PC would not boot… said there was no bootable media present.

Several hours of read/research figured it out. My motherboard has 6 SCSI data plugs; however, 2 of them are shared (with exclusive or use) with the M.2 slot/interface… and of course the kid I paid to build this PC, 8 years ago, plugged a SCSI HDD into one of the “shared” data ports… didn’t matter till I tried to use the M.2 slot. In defense of the kid, that plug was easier to get to… and everything worked… at the time.

After moving the offending HDD plug to an unused slot… booted fine.

After a bonehead move on my part, which I figured out immediately, Acronis did the Clone beautifully.

Didn’t notice till I had bought the SSD but it is PCIe 4 and my motherboard (8 years old) only supports 1, 2, & 3. Luckily, SSD is backward compatible to 3. That means the SSD is delivering half of its possible speed throughput… but it is so blazing fast I am fine with that. Plan to build a new PC, that is WinDOZE 11 compatible in 2025 and probably will use this SSD in it.
Previously asked questions about cloning… got some... (show quote)


Do you mean SCSI or SATA ports?

Reply
Nov 25, 2022 11:03:55   #
BebuLamar
 
TriX wrote:
Do you mean SCSI or SATA ports?


My last computer with SCSI was the SCSL Ultra 320. They don't have SCSI after that. My current (but old) computer has SATA/SAS interface.

Reply
 
 
Nov 25, 2022 14:02:25   #
KillroyII Loc: Middle Georgia
 
TriX wrote:
Do you mean SCSI or SATA ports?


Good catch… SATA… my old brain is filled with terms from the past… and they just leak into what I am typing

Reply
Nov 25, 2022 14:03:21   #
KillroyII Loc: Middle Georgia
 
Jimmy T wrote:
Thanks for sharing your solutions with us.
Best Wishes,
JimmyT Sends



Reply
Nov 25, 2022 14:03:49   #
KillroyII Loc: Middle Georgia
 
BebuLamar wrote:
My last computer with SCSI was the SCSL Ultra 320. They don't have SCSI after that. My current (but old) computer has SATA/SAS interface.



Reply
Nov 25, 2022 14:07:06   #
KillroyII Loc: Middle Georgia
 
jerryc41 wrote:
I can sympathize. I just went through something similar with two computers.




By the way, I have been tracking the temperature of the SSD since install and so far it has been no higher than my spinning drives… but haven’t done any large/long time writes yet

Reply
 
 
Nov 25, 2022 14:18:05   #
dpullum Loc: Tampa Florida
 
Yes, the Topaz Trio + Photo AI is on sale at topaz for $150. Studio 2 free if you have Studio 1 and $75 otherwise.

Reply
Nov 25, 2022 14:20:18   #
CTTonymm Loc: Connecticut
 
Good job - wish you continued success. BTW: if considering Topaz AI - you might want to first look at ON1 2023 with AI, Super Select and lots of other bonuses in addition to leading No-Noise and AI sharpening functions ? Just a thought, price may not be much different and lots of other goodies thrown in.....

Reply
Nov 25, 2022 14:52:34   #
KillroyII Loc: Middle Georgia
 
CTTonymm wrote:
Good job - wish you continued success. BTW: if considering Topaz AI - you might want to first look at ON1 2023 with AI, Super Select and lots of other bonuses in addition to leading No-Noise and AI sharpening functions ? Just a thought, price may not be much different and lots of other goodies thrown in.....


Looking at it now. Does the program move your picture files into its library (without the user agreeing to do so) or just view them in the directories where they now exist? I am not a fan of the way something like Lightroom takes over file storage.

Also not a fan of subscriptions and the buy it outright is cheaper (only $69) than 1st year subscription… how can that be? Am I misunderstanding something? Trying to figure out if the $69 on1 does everything that the $159 Topaz bundle.

Reply
Nov 25, 2022 15:10:09   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
KillroyII wrote:


By the way, I have been tracking the temperature of the SSD since install and so far it has been no higher than my spinning drives… but haven’t done any large/long time writes yet


My M.2 is 68°F, and it's been running all day. The HDD is 98°.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.