Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Update firmware for R7 1.2.0
Nov 24, 2022 13:11:35   #
junglejim1949 Loc: Sacramento,CA
 
Has anyone updated the firmware for R7? I was thinking of waiting to make sure it does not have any bugs in it.
Suggestions or comments.

Reply
Nov 24, 2022 14:03:09   #
robertjerl Loc: Corona, California
 
junglejim1949 wrote:
Has anyone updated the firmware for R7? I was thinking of waiting to make sure it does not have any bugs in it.
Suggestions or comments.


I just saw the notice on a photo site, I will download it to a card, but may hold off a week or so to see if anyone has problems.
Come to that, it is time for me to go online and check for any firmware updates for my other cameras.

Reply
Nov 24, 2022 18:49:34   #
junglejim1949 Loc: Sacramento,CA
 
robertjerl wrote:
I just saw the notice on a photo site, I will download it to a card, but may hold off a week or so to see if anyone has problems.
Come to that, it is time for me to go online and check for any firmware updates for my other cameras.


I am with you. It doesn't seem like a big update.

Reply
 
 
Nov 24, 2022 19:37:25   #
robertjerl Loc: Corona, California
 
junglejim1949 wrote:
I am with you. It doesn't seem like a big update.


I read the list and nothing updated that I use much so I can wait.

Reply
Nov 25, 2022 15:15:18   #
PHRubin Loc: Nashville TN USA
 
I found out about the update here.
I'll try it. I can't use the EOS Utility, my PC is too old, so I'm doing it by putting the memory card in the card reader method.
It takes few minutes.
I'll have to download the updated Advanced Users Guide.
OK - So far so good. Update OK. Camera seems OK.

Reply
Nov 25, 2022 16:55:07   #
LeRoy Hart Loc: Monterey California
 
I have an R10 and no problems so far with the update to 1.2.0 😁

Reply
Nov 25, 2022 17:29:17   #
317tman Loc: Indianapolis, In
 
I downloaded the update to my Mac, transferred it to a card and the camera doesn’t find the update on the card. It doesn’t say it was a zip file, but I double clicked on it anyway to see if that was the issue. Nothing happened. I’ll have to call canon support.

Reply
 
 
Nov 25, 2022 17:53:21   #
junglejim1949 Loc: Sacramento,CA
 
PHRubin wrote:
I found out about the update here.
I'll try it. I can't use the EOS Utility, my PC is too old, so I'm doing it by putting the memory card in the card reader method.
It takes few minutes.
I'll have to download the updated Advanced Users Guide.
OK - So far so good. Update OK. Camera seems OK.


Well done and thanks for the update on the update

Reply
Nov 26, 2022 00:40:21   #
PHRubin Loc: Nashville TN USA
 
317tman wrote:
I downloaded the update to my Mac, transferred it to a card and the camera doesn’t find the update on the card. It doesn’t say it was a zip file, but I double clicked on it anyway to see if that was the issue. Nothing happened. I’ll have to call canon support.


You need to unzip the zip file and extract the .FIR file, then put it at the root of the camera memory card. Detailed instructions are in other files inside the .ZIP file.

Reply
Nov 26, 2022 07:50:40   #
LFingar Loc: Claverack, NY
 
317tman wrote:
I downloaded the update to my Mac, transferred it to a card and the camera doesn’t find the update on the card. It doesn’t say it was a zip file, but I double clicked on it anyway to see if that was the issue. Nothing happened. I’ll have to call canon support.


You have to unzip the file. It contains 2 separate files. One is instructions and the other is the update. There are free programs that will unzip it. Google is your friend. Just search for "Free zip file opener". After you unzip put the update file on your card. Do not put it in either of the folders on your card. Your camera will recognize it as soon as you start the firmware update.
Several Canon lenses also have firmware updates available.

Reply
Nov 26, 2022 17:34:33   #
317tman Loc: Indianapolis, In
 
PHRubin wrote:
You need to unzip the zip file and extract the .FIR file, then put it at the root of the camera memory card. Detailed instructions are in other files inside the .ZIP file.


The file does not unzip. I double click on it but nothing happens.

Reply
 
 
Nov 26, 2022 21:19:18   #
LFingar Loc: Claverack, NY
 
317tman wrote:
The file does not unzip. I double click on it but nothing happens.


I don't know anything about Mac, but with Windows you right click and select "Open With", but, you have to have a Zip program on the computer to open it with. I would guess that Mac has something similar to "Open With", but, you will still need a Zip program.

Reply
Nov 27, 2022 14:16:01   #
317tman Loc: Indianapolis, In
 
LFingar wrote:
I don't know anything about Mac, but with Windows you right click and select "Open With", but, you have to have a Zip program on the computer to open it with. I would guess that Mac has something similar to "Open With", but, you will still need a Zip program.


I'm certainly not too knowledgeable about such things, but I googled how to unzip on a mac and the apple support said just double click on the file. I did that and nothing happened. I'll keep looking.

Reply
Nov 27, 2022 20:21:50   #
LFingar Loc: Claverack, NY
 
317tman wrote:
I'm certainly not too knowledgeable about such things, but I googled how to unzip on a mac and the apple support said just double click on the file. I did that and nothing happened. I'll keep looking.


I Googled "Unzipping Files On A Mac" and that brought up a number of free Zip programs. I did read where it said to double-click but that may only apply if you already have a Zip program installed.

Reply
Nov 27, 2022 21:00:56   #
317tman Loc: Indianapolis, In
 
LFingar wrote:
I Googled "Unzipping Files On A Mac" and that brought up a number of free Zip programs. I did read where it said to double-click but that may only apply if you already have a Zip program installed.


Thanks, I’ll look into that.

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.