Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Me vs. Topaz II
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
Nov 23, 2022 17:51:44   #
TheShoe Loc: Lacey, WA
 
After much discussion with Topaz, I have received an e-mail telling me that the problem of having to run Topaz as an Administrator in order to load images is apparently pervasive. There are frequent reports of the problem, and several people at Topaz working to identify and solve it.

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 18:07:21   #
TriX Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
TheShoe wrote:
After much discussion with Topaz, I have received an e-mail telling me that the problem of having to run Topaz as an Administrator in order to load images is apparently pervasive. There are frequent reports of the problem, and several people at Topaz working to identify and solve it.


Hmmm. I wonder what it is about a specific installation that requires that (mine doesn’t), but every computer/OS configuration is different.

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 18:13:13   #
KillroyII Loc: Middle Georgia
 
TheShoe wrote:
After much discussion with Topaz, I have received an e-mail telling me that the problem of having to run Topaz as an Administrator in order to load images is apparently pervasive. There are frequent reports of the problem, and several people at Topaz working to identify and solve it.


Many installation programs ask if the “current user” or “all users” should have access/use of the program being installed. I wonder if selecting “all users” would prevent the problem you have.

Do you remember if you were logged on as Administrator when you installed… and selected “current user”

Reply
 
 
Nov 23, 2022 18:23:51   #
TheShoe Loc: Lacey, WA
 
KillroyII wrote:
Many installation programs ask if the “current user” or “all users” should have access/use of the program being installed. I wonder if selecting “all users” would prevent the problem you have.

Do you remember if you were logged on as Administrator when you installed… and selected “current user”


I was an administrator when I installed Topaz, and that question was not asked.

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 18:36:03   #
TheShoe Loc: Lacey, WA
 
TriX wrote:
Hmmm. I wonder what it is about a specific installation that requires that (mine doesn’t), but every computer/OS configuration is different.


I have no answer, but maybe Topaz will find one. If they do, I will post it to the Hog. Nothing else that I have ever installed on any of my PCs has run afoul of this particular gremlin.

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 18:42:03   #
KillroyII Loc: Middle Georgia
 
TheShoe wrote:
I was an administrator when I installed Topaz, and that question was not asked.


Just guessing here…

1. Are you using Topaz now as a different UserID as when you installed… or…

2. Do the picture files, or the directory they are in belong to the Administrator… if so you may need to change some permissions, of the directory/files, on your computer

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 20:50:08   #
bsprague Loc: Lacey, WA, USA
 
I'm on Windows 11 and not having that issue.

Reply
 
 
Nov 24, 2022 05:19:53   #
dpullum Loc: Tampa Florida
 
Window 10 current, and installing was no issue. Faint memory, I believe that in setup, I am the Administrator.

Perhaps this may help it tells how to become the Administrator.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-20de74e0-ac7f-3502-a866-32915af2a34d

Reply
Nov 24, 2022 06:30:56   #
Jimmy T Loc: Virginia
 
TheShoe wrote:
After much discussion with Topaz, I have received an e-mail telling me that the problem of having to run Topaz as an Administrator in order to load images is apparently pervasive. There are frequent reports of the problem, and several people at Topaz working to identify and solve it.


I am assuming that you are talking about Topaz Studio II.
As far as I can recall once I set up an account, and paid for the program(s) everything was pretty automatic, even the updates.
I'm sorry, but I can't remember any problems . . . .
Best Wishes,
JimmyT Sends

Edit: I'm on Win 10

Reply
Nov 24, 2022 09:39:22   #
Joexx
 
TheShoe wrote:
After much discussion with Topaz, I have received an e-mail telling me that the problem of having to run Topaz as an Administrator in order to load images is apparently pervasive. There are frequent reports of the problem, and several people at Topaz working to identify and solve it.


I would like to confirm that the Topaz people definitely said it was a Topaz issue and not a Windows issue? I am knowledgeable about the Windows O/S. It really sounds like a windows issue to me. It is not unusual for a Microsoft update to mess up access rights. I suggest doing a search to see if there are any suggested fixes. Here is an example link of some possible fixes, but most will require you to be comfortable with changing windows System information, so I am not sure how useful it is. https://superuser.com/questions/171917/force-a-program-to-run-without-administrator-privileges-or-uac. If it is a Topaz issue, they really should be able to tell you why. It may be easier to just create another userid that has admin access rights and log on with that ID when you want to use Topaz.

Reply
Nov 24, 2022 12:28:11   #
frankraney Loc: Clovis, Ca.
 
TheShoe wrote:
After much discussion with Topaz, I have received an e-mail telling me that the problem of having to run Topaz as an Administrator in order to load images is apparently pervasive. There are frequent reports of the problem, and several people at Topaz working to identify and solve it.


I have the admin account, that I never use. It is set up automatically, I think, in windows. I tooa am an admin, so everything I install is installed by an admin, for all users, and never had a problem.

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled? Good luck.

Reply
 
 
Nov 24, 2022 16:11:44   #
TheShoe Loc: Lacey, WA
 
KillroyII wrote:
Just guessing here…

1. Are you using Topaz now as a different UserID as when you installed… or…

2. Do the picture files, or the directory they are in belong to the Administrator… if so you may need to change some permissions, of the directory/files, on your computer


1. No
2. There is only 1 id in use.

Reply
Nov 24, 2022 16:17:22   #
TheShoe Loc: Lacey, WA
 
Jimmy T wrote:
I am assuming that you are talking about Topaz Studio II.
As far as I can recall once I set up an account, and paid for the program(s) everything was pretty automatic, even the updates.
I'm sorry, but I can't remember any problems . . . .
Best Wishes,
JimmyT Sends

Edit: I'm on Win 10


No, just Photo AI.
After being deluged with reports of this problem, Topaz is taking it seriously as a problem that they own.

Reply
Nov 24, 2022 16:17:54   #
KillroyII Loc: Middle Georgia
 
TheShoe wrote:
1. No
2. There is only 1 id in use.


Hope the Topaz folks can help you. I plan on purchasing Topaz AI bundle this week.

Reply
Nov 24, 2022 16:44:47   #
TheShoe Loc: Lacey, WA
 
Joexx wrote:
I would like to confirm that the Topaz people definitely said it was a Topaz issue and not a Windows issue? I am knowledgeable about the Windows O/S. It really sounds like a windows issue to me. It is not unusual for a Microsoft update to mess up access rights. I suggest doing a search to see if there are any suggested fixes. Here is an example link of some possible fixes, but most will require you to be comfortable with changing windows System information, so I am not sure how useful it is. https://superuser.com/questions/171917/force-a-program-to-run-without-administrator-privileges-or-uac. If it is a Topaz issue, they really should be able to tell you why. It may be easier to just create another userid that has admin access rights and log on with that ID when you want to use Topaz.
I would like to confirm that the Topaz people defi... (show quote)

That link does not appear to be relevant as it is about forcing a program to run without having admin privileges, not about needing those rights to run.

It may well be that it is something done to Topaz by Windows 10; however, Topaz needs to know that so that they can document it and include instructions for fixing or preventing it in the setup procedure.

My id, the only one available, has admin privileges.

Topaz just goes into an unending wait when the permission conflict occurs. The only reason that it is known that there is a conflict is because someone, probably many of us, tried running Topaz as an administrator.

Reply
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.