Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
$860 Today - Thrilled With My 3.3 mp Camera Purchase
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
Sep 28, 2022 15:20:17   #
dpullum Loc: Tampa Florida
 
I read the ad and could not resist getting this state-of-the-art 3.3 mp camera. Faithful Kodak was the first company to achieve more than 3 mp with 3x optical telephoto reach for only $860 today money with $100 rebate... Shoots both JPEG and TIFF. Features are simply amazing. My astrologer predicted a pixel war would destroy the image quality compared to this camera. How can they get more than 3.3 megapixels, how? Kodak is ahead of the game and others will never catch up to Kodak. Kodak will be King for another 100 years.

3.3 megapixel CCD delivering up to 2160 x 1440 pixel images.

1.8 inch LCD monitor and real image optical viewfinder.

3x zoom, 6.8 to 18.0 mm lens (equivalent to a 28 to 84 mm lens on a 35mm camera).

2x digital telephoto.

Aperture options of f/2.8, f/5.6, and f/8.

Shutter speeds from 16 to 1/1,000 seconds.

Program AE, Aperture Priority and Manual exposure modes.

White balance with Automatic, Daylight, Flash, Tungsten, Fluorescent and Manual modes, plus selectable color temperatures from 2,500 to 10,000 Kelvin.

Selectable ISO equivalents of 100, 200 and 400.

Built-in, popup flash with four operating modes.

Special effects menu with three black and white modes, a sepia mode, neutral color balance and saturated color balance.

Burst photography mode captures up to five frames per second.

Image capture to CompactFlash with JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats.

NTSC or PAL video out.

USB cable is included for quick connection to a computer.

Lithium-ion rechargeable battery pack included and AC adapter for in-camera charging.

Compatible with DPOF (Digital Print Order Format).
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DC4800/D48A.HTM

THE YEAR 2000, THIS CAMERA SERVED ME WELL FOR 3 YEARS. It was $500 in 2000 money inflation 2022 $860
Like Virginia Slims Ciggarette Ad... "We'v Come A Long Way Baby."

Play with the photo, and judge the quality compared to 20+ pixel cameras of today. Was this 3.3 mp good quality?

PHOTO AS TAKEN WITH MY KODAK DC-4800
PHOTO AS TAKEN WITH MY KODAK DC-4800...
(Download)

Reply
Sep 28, 2022 15:40:25   #
ken_stern Loc: Yorba Linda, Ca
 
Certainly, State of the Art --
May Kodak Live long & Prosper!

Reply
Sep 28, 2022 15:46:59   #
WCS
 
...the march of time/technology & imagination met then... and the ball was dropped... because cellulose was so cheap, processing was so profitable and 'they owned the market'... A classic lesson for capitalism! The passion journey is never over!!!

Reply
 
 
Sep 28, 2022 15:51:37   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
The first digital still camera was developed by engineer Steven Sasson working for Eastman Kodak in 1975.
--Bob
dpullum wrote:
I read the ad and could not resist getting this state-of-the-art 3.3 mp camera. Faithful Kodak was the first company to achieve more than 3 mp with 3x optical telephoto reach for only $860 today money with $100 rebate... Shoots both JPEG and TIFF. Features are simply amazing. My astrologer predicted a pixel war would destroy the image quality compared to this camera. How can they get more than 3.3 megapixels, how? Kodak is ahead of the game and others will never catch up to Kodak. Kodak will be King for another 100 years.

3.3 megapixel CCD delivering up to 2160 x 1440 pixel images.

1.8 inch LCD monitor and real image optical viewfinder.

3x zoom, 6.8 to 18.0 mm lens (equivalent to a 28 to 84 mm lens on a 35mm camera).

2x digital telephoto.

Aperture options of f/2.8, f/5.6, and f/8.

Shutter speeds from 16 to 1/1,000 seconds.

Program AE, Aperture Priority and Manual exposure modes.

White balance with Automatic, Daylight, Flash, Tungsten, Fluorescent and Manual modes, plus selectable color temperatures from 2,500 to 10,000 Kelvin.

Selectable ISO equivalents of 100, 200 and 400.

Built-in, popup flash with four operating modes.

Special effects menu with three black and white modes, a sepia mode, neutral color balance and saturated color balance.

Burst photography mode captures up to five frames per second.

Image capture to CompactFlash with JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats.

NTSC or PAL video out.

USB cable is included for quick connection to a computer.

Lithium-ion rechargeable battery pack included and AC adapter for in-camera charging.

Compatible with DPOF (Digital Print Order Format).
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DC4800/D48A.HTM

THE YEAR 2000, THIS CAMERA SERVED ME WELL FOR 3 YEARS. It was $500 in 2000 money inflation 2022 $860
Like Virginia Slims Ciggarette Ad... "We'v Come A Long Way Baby."

Play with the photo, and judge the quality compared to 20+ pixel cameras of today. Was this 3.3 mp good quality?
I read the ad and could not resist getting this st... (show quote)

Reply
Sep 28, 2022 16:17:31   #
rehess Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA
 
dpullum wrote:
I read the ad and could not resist getting this state-of-the-art 3.3 mp camera. Faithful Kodak was the first company to achieve more than 3 mp with 3x optical telephoto reach for only $860 today money with $100 rebate... Shoots both JPEG and TIFF. Features are simply amazing. My astrologer predicted a pixel war would destroy the image quality compared to this camera. How can they get more than 3.3 megapixels, how? Kodak is ahead of the game and others will never catch up to Kodak. Kodak will be King for another 100 years.

3.3 megapixel CCD delivering up to 2160 x 1440 pixel images.

1.8 inch LCD monitor and real image optical viewfinder.

3x zoom, 6.8 to 18.0 mm lens (equivalent to a 28 to 84 mm lens on a 35mm camera).

2x digital telephoto.

Aperture options of f/2.8, f/5.6, and f/8.

Shutter speeds from 16 to 1/1,000 seconds.

Program AE, Aperture Priority and Manual exposure modes.

White balance with Automatic, Daylight, Flash, Tungsten, Fluorescent and Manual modes, plus selectable color temperatures from 2,500 to 10,000 Kelvin.

Selectable ISO equivalents of 100, 200 and 400.

Built-in, popup flash with four operating modes.

Special effects menu with three black and white modes, a sepia mode, neutral color balance and saturated color balance.

Burst photography mode captures up to five frames per second.

Image capture to CompactFlash with JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats.

NTSC or PAL video out.

USB cable is included for quick connection to a computer.

Lithium-ion rechargeable battery pack included and AC adapter for in-camera charging.

Compatible with DPOF (Digital Print Order Format).
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DC4800/D48A.HTM

THE YEAR 2000, THIS CAMERA SERVED ME WELL FOR 3 YEARS. It was $500 in 2000 money inflation 2022 $860
Like Virginia Slims Ciggarette Ad... "We'v Come A Long Way Baby."

Play with the photo, and judge the quality compared to 20+ pixel cameras of today. Was this 3.3 mp good quality?
I read the ad and could not resist getting this st... (show quote)

In 2002 I sent some slides to a pro who made some 3000x2000 scans. I found every detail in the scans that I found in the slides, so I decided to hold off going digital until I could afford a digital camera that would produce images with at least 3000 pixels on the long end, which did happen in a few years.

Reply
Sep 28, 2022 22:52:43   #
mr spock Loc: Fairfield CT
 
ken_stern wrote:
Certainly, State of the Art --
May Kodak Live long & Prosper!


I second that emotion!

Reply
Sep 29, 2022 10:01:00   #
dpullum Loc: Tampa Florida
 
The Kodak DC-4800 3.1 mp photo gave a good 8x10 in its day. So the question is, can the 3.1 mp be made new and strong with modern [TOPAZ AI] software?

Using my using deNoise AI, Sharpening AI, and Gigapixel AI generated these from the original image. My error sharpening too much resulting in a harsh chin black line.

Face-recognition was turned on in Gigapixel. I am not experienced at these new AI programs especially the Gigapixel... Gigapixel has many choices under File>Preferences as well as the sliders.

With the new AI processing is the Pixel War coming to a close?

If any of you have the new Topaz Photo-AI that combines all three AI plugin please process and show us. In fact any work on the original or modified is welcome and feel free to upload. Resurrection of the old is new in an AI world.

DeNoise/Sharpen AI 2.1 mb JPEG 1712x1324
DeNoise/Sharpen AI 2.1 mb JPEG 1712x1324...
(Download)

2.1 Image Gigapixel to 10.9 mb 10,272x7,944
2.1 Image Gigapixel to 10.9 mb 10,272x7,944...
(Download)

Reply
 
 
Sep 29, 2022 10:53:38   #
Bridges Loc: Memphis, Charleston SC, now Nazareth PA
 
dpullum wrote:
I read the ad and could not resist getting this state-of-the-art 3.3 mp camera. Faithful Kodak was the first company to achieve more than 3 mp with 3x optical telephoto reach for only $860 today money with $100 rebate... Shoots both JPEG and TIFF. Features are simply amazing. My astrologer predicted a pixel war would destroy the image quality compared to this camera. How can they get more than 3.3 megapixels, how? Kodak is ahead of the game and others will never catch up to Kodak. Kodak will be King for another 100 years.

3.3 megapixel CCD delivering up to 2160 x 1440 pixel images.

1.8 inch LCD monitor and real image optical viewfinder.

3x zoom, 6.8 to 18.0 mm lens (equivalent to a 28 to 84 mm lens on a 35mm camera).

2x digital telephoto.

Aperture options of f/2.8, f/5.6, and f/8.

Shutter speeds from 16 to 1/1,000 seconds.

Program AE, Aperture Priority and Manual exposure modes.

White balance with Automatic, Daylight, Flash, Tungsten, Fluorescent and Manual modes, plus selectable color temperatures from 2,500 to 10,000 Kelvin.

Selectable ISO equivalents of 100, 200 and 400.

Built-in, popup flash with four operating modes.

Special effects menu with three black and white modes, a sepia mode, neutral color balance and saturated color balance.

Burst photography mode captures up to five frames per second.

Image capture to CompactFlash with JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats.

NTSC or PAL video out.

USB cable is included for quick connection to a computer.

Lithium-ion rechargeable battery pack included and AC adapter for in-camera charging.

Compatible with DPOF (Digital Print Order Format).
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DC4800/D48A.HTM

THE YEAR 2000, THIS CAMERA SERVED ME WELL FOR 3 YEARS. It was $500 in 2000 money inflation 2022 $860
Like Virginia Slims Ciggarette Ad... "We'v Come A Long Way Baby."

Play with the photo, and judge the quality compared to 20+ pixel cameras of today. Was this 3.3 mp good quality?
I read the ad and could not resist getting this st... (show quote)


I don't know how much crop you applied to this photo, but if a straight shot, the latest phone cameras do a better job!

Reply
Sep 29, 2022 10:57:35   #
rehess Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA
 
Bridges wrote:
I don't know how much crop you applied to this photo, but if a straight shot, the latest phone cameras do a better job!

They also cost more.

Reply
Sep 29, 2022 11:30:22   #
Bultaco Loc: Aiken, SC
 
Bridges wrote:
I don't know how much crop you applied to this photo, but if a straight shot, the latest phone cameras do a better job!


At 3.2 mp's?

Reply
Sep 29, 2022 11:38:57   #
Saycheeze Loc: Ct
 
I had a DC-4800. If I remember correctly it was one of, if not, the best at the time. My very first digital camera.

Reply
 
 
Sep 29, 2022 11:42:37   #
dpullum Loc: Tampa Florida
 
Yes Bultaco in 1960 the most advanced digital was 3.1mp by Kodak... their expensive!! DC-4800. They were selling like Sweeney Tod's meat pies.

Can the old images from 1960s be saved by modern software? I think yes. Below is a side by side of the SOOC image and the same image cleaned and sharpened by Topaz deNoise AI and Sharpen AI.

Crop to face SOOC, 0.283 Mb vs Clean & Sharpened by AI, 2.1 Mb. Gigapixel gave 5.3 Mb

SOOC vs TOPAZ deNoise AI & Sharpen AI
SOOC vs TOPAZ deNoise AI & Sharpen AI...

Reply
Sep 29, 2022 11:43:23   #
rehess Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA
 
Bultaco wrote:
At 3.2 mp's?

People tend to look at size of the sensor in inches and cost in dollars, not size in MP

Reply
Sep 29, 2022 11:52:50   #
rehess Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA
 
dpullum wrote:
Yes Bultaco in 1960 the most advanced digital was 3.1mp by Kodak... their expensive!! DC-4800. They were selling like Sweeney Tod's meat pies.

Can the old images from 1960s be saved by modern software. Below is a side by side of the SOOC image and the same image cleaned and sharpened by Topaz deNoise AI and Sharpen AI.

I refused to go digital until I could get 6MP at about $700 - about what I was getting from film

Reply
Sep 29, 2022 12:20:08   #
dpullum Loc: Tampa Florida
 
rehess wrote:
People tend to look at size of the sensor in inches and cost in dollars, not size in MP


In 1960 I did not know beans about sensor size or type. The DC 4800 had a 1/1.8" CCD sensor just a bit bigger than small sensor cameras used now. John Q. Public looks at camera physical size, pixels, what their friend have, ad hype and cost... sensor size... what's that? is what they would ask. Now they only know iPhone ... Rehess, what is the sensor size in your phone... would you know without looking it up? Too often UHH people mistakenly go for the higher price cameras, and filters etc. without searching for reviews and specifications.

Shame that Kodak Management refused to see the obvious future in digital cameras... Shame GM did not see the future in EV-1 in 1996. Kodak said "We make film." and GM said "We make ICE gasoline cars."

Reply
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.