Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
From Nikon Rumors:Sigma and Tamron discontinuing 40 DSLR lenses, and Nikon discontinues 35 F DSLR lenses. Does it matter in the marketplace?
Page <prev 2 of 8 next> last>>
Sep 28, 2022 10:13:29   #
User ID
 
gwilliams6 wrote:
From Nikon Rumors: Sigma and Tamron discontinuing 40 DSLR lenses, and Nikon discontinues 35 F DLSR lenses. Does it matter in the marketplace?

https://nikonrumors.com/2022/09/26/sigma-has-discontinued-18-dslr-lenses-tamron-has-discontinued-22-dslr-lenses.aspx/

Cheers and best to you.


(Download)

Reply
Sep 28, 2022 10:19:05   #
sxrich
 
On the Nikon USA website, there are NINETY, 90, big Nine-Zero DSLR lenses still for sale. The marketing approach, although effective, is like scaring people about climate change. NOT ONE RUMOR has come true. Nikon can force us eventually if they want just like the US government can force us to buy Tesla's. That said, in 2010, 12 years ago, Sony brings out a mirrorless with interchangeable lens. That year, I meet a photographer doing a location family photoshoot using the Sony mirrorless. We talk after he finishes - he tells me that mirrorless will take over soon and time to "upgrade" ???? So, Nikon still has a d6, D850, D500 and other DSLR's. They have 90 DSLR lenses. R E L A X!!!! Got GAS? Rolaids! LOL!! P.S, I basically shoot a wedding with 4 lenses - that's all I need.

Reply
Sep 28, 2022 10:23:18   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
Imagine there were no mirrors
It's easy if you try
No DSLRs to slow us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the photographers happy everyday

Reply
 
 
Sep 28, 2022 11:26:08   #
wapiti Loc: round rock, texas
 
kb6kgx wrote:
No, it matters not one bit (to me, anyway). As much as I'd like a few more "new" lenses in my arsenal, I'd rather go with refurbished or used but well-cared for lenses to save the bucks. As for servicing, I have never, in 50 years of photography, needed a lens serviced. So "support" or availability of parts has never been an issue. I suspect that the older lenses are likely built better than the newer ones, anyway, and will probably last longer. I'm speaking about Nikon/Nikkor lenses and not the "third-party" brands, which ARE made better today than they have been in the past.
No, it matters not one bit (to me, anyway). As muc... (show quote)



Reply
Sep 28, 2022 11:59:59   #
User ID
 
sxrich wrote:
On the Nikon USA website, there are NINETY, 90, big Nine-Zero DSLR lenses still for sale. The marketing approach, although effective, is like scaring people about climate change. NOT ONE RUMOR has come true. Nikon can force us eventually if they want just like the US government can force us to buy Tesla's. That said, in 2010, 12 years ago, Sony brings out a mirrorless with interchangeable lens. That year, I meet a photographer doing a location family photoshoot using the Sony mirrorless. We talk after he finishes - he tells me that mirrorless will take over soon and time to "upgrade" ???? So, Nikon still has a d6, D850, D500 and other DSLR's. They have 90 DSLR lenses. R E L A X!!!! Got GAS? Rolaids! LOL!! P.S, I basically shoot a wedding with 4 lenses - that's all I need.
On the Nikon USA website, there are NINETY, 90, bi... (show quote)

The past aint what it used to be. Serious problem is ever increasing over crowding.
The past aint what it used to be. Serious problem ...
(Download)

Reply
Sep 28, 2022 12:05:14   #
SuperflyTNT Loc: Manassas VA
 
One way it might affect the market place is better availability of new lenses. They stop making the old ones they can increase capacity for the new ones.

Reply
Sep 28, 2022 12:09:04   #
User ID
 
SuperflyTNT wrote:
One way it might affect the market place is better availability of new lenses. They stop making the old ones they can increase capacity for the new ones.

Yup. An obvious trend. Dinosaurs tend to see progress as a conspiracy. Thaz how dinos become fossils.

Reply
 
 
Sep 28, 2022 12:28:44   #
chrisg-optical Loc: New York, NY
 
gwilliams6 wrote:
From Nikon Rumors: Sigma and Tamron discontinuing 40 DSLR lenses, and Nikon discontinues 35 F DLSR lenses. Does it matter in the marketplace?

https://nikonrumors.com/2022/09/26/sigma-has-discontinued-18-dslr-lenses-tamron-has-discontinued-22-dslr-lenses.aspx/

Cheers and best to you.


Makes sense - the DSLR lines will just drag down the finances of the company...better to concentrate on mirrorless innovations/R&D. Heck, folks are still buying film era equipment on ebay and the same will continue for used DSLR equipment.

Reply
Sep 28, 2022 12:30:37   #
chrisg-optical Loc: New York, NY
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
Imagine there were no mirrors
It's easy if you try
No DSLRs to slow us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the photographers happy everyday


John Lennon is smiling on the other side.... :)

Reply
Sep 28, 2022 12:58:18   #
tdozier3 Loc: Northern Illinois
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
The age of the DSLR is over. The time of the MILC has come!



Reply
Sep 28, 2022 13:00:00   #
tdozier3 Loc: Northern Illinois
 
sxrich wrote:
On the Nikon USA website, there are NINETY, 90, big Nine-Zero DSLR lenses still for sale. The marketing approach, although effective, is like scaring people about climate change. NOT ONE RUMOR has come true. Nikon can force us eventually if they want just like the US government can force us to buy Tesla's. That said, in 2010, 12 years ago, Sony brings out a mirrorless with interchangeable lens. That year, I meet a photographer doing a location family photoshoot using the Sony mirrorless. We talk after he finishes - he tells me that mirrorless will take over soon and time to "upgrade" ???? So, Nikon still has a d6, D850, D500 and other DSLR's. They have 90 DSLR lenses. R E L A X!!!! Got GAS? Rolaids! LOL!! P.S, I basically shoot a wedding with 4 lenses - that's all I need.
On the Nikon USA website, there are NINETY, 90, bi... (show quote)



Reply
 
 
Sep 28, 2022 13:07:17   #
Aloysius Loc: Tampa, FL
 
This sounds like Leica M11 ad copy. . . .

Reply
Sep 28, 2022 15:24:04   #
Tony G.
 
No! The Future is not what is use to be.

Reply
Sep 28, 2022 16:40:13   #
rehess Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA
 
chrisg-optical wrote:
Makes sense - the DSLR lines will just drag down the finances of the company...better to concentrate on mirrorless innovations/R&D. Heck, folks are still buying film era equipment on ebay and the same will continue for used DSLR equipment.

Some K-mount, F-mount, EF-mount lenses are film-era equipment.

Reply
Sep 28, 2022 16:51:18   #
chrisg-optical Loc: New York, NY
 
rehess wrote:
Some K-mount, F-mount, EF-mount lenses are film-era equipment.


Yes, of course, but the film camera market is totally distinct from the digital market, and has had a 10+ year jump on the DSLR fade.

Reply
Page <prev 2 of 8 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2023 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.