Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
Another toy
Page <prev 2 of 4 next> last>>
Sep 22, 2022 15:30:40   #
Manglesphoto Loc: 70 miles south of St.Louis
 
UTMike wrote:
The only difference between men and boys is the size and cost of their toys, Frank.


Lol
Cost $100 cost to Me 0000 nothing.

Reply
Sep 22, 2022 23:29:11   #
bikinkawboy Loc: north central Missouri
 
That’s a big old hoss! If it ever needs a new home, let me know.

Reply
Sep 23, 2022 06:31:54   #
junglejim1949 Loc: Sacramento,CA
 
Manglesphoto wrote:
A tool I really needed to make small screws
Okay something I probably won't use very often, but the price was right. My son-in-law bought it for $100 to keep it out of the scrap pile and didn't really have a place for it, he knew I was looking for a
lathe with quick change and ask if I had room for it. It is a little bigger (okay a lot) than what I was looking for but it will do especially for making those special 5-40 machine screws I need
First order of business : Clean it up its been sitting for years and not well protected from the weather however it is not all rusty, just dirty and gummy.
Second: Rewire the motor hopefully for 220v
Third: Repair or make a lock for the Backgear Lever.
OH Crap I need to move my Thermometer.
A tool I really needed to make small screws img ... (show quote)


You will have this working in no time...

Reply
 
 
Sep 23, 2022 06:48:32   #
Manglesphoto Loc: 70 miles south of St.Louis
 
bikinkawboy wrote:
That’s a big old hoss! If it ever needs a new home, let me know.


At this time it has a problems with the Backgear #1-the B/G has no lock to hold in neutral or engaged,#2 when engaged it locks up when the gears are fully engaged, it makes about a half turn on the driven pulley then feels like there is something in the gear teeth, if your not holding the handle it will kick out, but it does run if the gears are in mesh half way. #1 is not a big problem But #2 bothers me I won't use B/G much but I am anal on gears that aren't fully meshed.
There is play in the head stock front bearing, I will probably check today and see if has ball bearings and I can find bearing numbers without taking it apart, if they are bronze ,Oh well As far as it ever needing a new home that would be my Son-in-laws callouts just mine to use.
about 50 years ago I used an 18" Southbend lathe that had bronze headstock bearings, they were worn, and with a bar you could raise the shaft approx, .025" we ordered a piece of oil-lite bronze to make new bearings, corporate purchasing wouldn't approve it, the chuck was so heavy the lathe remained accurate to .001" if you didn't take super heavy cuts so we just lived with it.

Reply
Sep 23, 2022 06:49:29   #
Manglesphoto Loc: 70 miles south of St.Louis
 
junglejim1949 wrote:
You will have this working in no time...


LOL we'll see

Reply
Sep 23, 2022 08:14:40   #
alberio Loc: Colorado
 
Manglesphoto wrote:
A tool I really needed to make small screws
Okay something I probably won't use very often, but the price was right. My son-in-law bought it for $100 to keep it out of the scrap pile and didn't really have a place for it, he knew I was looking for a
lathe with quick change and ask if I had room for it. It is a little bigger (okay a lot) than what I was looking for but it will do especially for making those special 5-40 machine screws I need
First order of business : Clean it up its been sitting for years and not well protected from the weather however it is not all rusty, just dirty and gummy.
Second: Rewire the motor hopefully for 220v
Third: Repair or make a lock for the Backgear Lever.
OH Crap I need to move my Thermometer.
A tool I really needed to make small screws img ... (show quote)


5-40? Hahaha, a bit of overkill.

Reply
Sep 23, 2022 08:50:01   #
DougS Loc: Central Arkansas
 
I presume you have a milling machine to go with it? Nice machine!

Reply
 
 
Sep 23, 2022 08:57:19   #
Manglesphoto Loc: 70 miles south of St.Louis
 
alberio wrote:
5-40? Hahaha, a bit of overkill.


do ya think so?

Reply
Sep 23, 2022 08:58:07   #
Manglesphoto Loc: 70 miles south of St.Louis
 
DougS wrote:
I presume you have a milling machine to go with it? Nice machine!


Sitting right next to it, but not as big!!

Reply
Sep 23, 2022 09:20:48   #
Canisdirus
 
With all that chip and sawdust...I hope you garden...nice.

I try to stick to tools that can only take a few fingers off at a time...I know my limits...err...digits.

Reply
Sep 23, 2022 09:38:49   #
Manglesphoto Loc: 70 miles south of St.Louis
 
Canisdirus wrote:
With all that chip and sawdust...I hope you garden...nice.

I try to stick to tools that can only take a few fingers off at a time...I know my limits...err...digits.


There will be nothing you would put in your garden coming off these machines

Reply
 
 
Sep 23, 2022 10:19:03   #
Canisdirus
 
Ahhh...gotcha...milling. I'm thinking wood lathe.

My finger rule still applies.

Reply
Sep 23, 2022 10:48:22   #
bwana Loc: Bergen, Alberta, Canada
 
Manglesphoto wrote:
A tool I really needed to make small screws
Okay something I probably won't use very often, but the price was right. My son-in-law bought it for $100 to keep it out of the scrap pile and didn't really have a place for it, he knew I was looking for a
lathe with quick change and ask if I had room for it. It is a little bigger (okay a lot) than what I was looking for but it will do especially for making those special 5-40 machine screws I need
First order of business : Clean it up its been sitting for years and not well protected from the weather however it is not all rusty, just dirty and gummy.
Second: Rewire the motor hopefully for 220v
Third: Repair or make a lock for the Backgear Lever.
OH Crap I need to move my Thermometer.
A tool I really needed to make small screws img ... (show quote)

'Small screws'... yup, I can see it now!

bwa

Reply
Sep 23, 2022 12:30:00   #
Tdearing Loc: Rockport, TX
 
They made them to last, no doubt its found a good home.

Reply
Sep 23, 2022 13:18:03   #
Manglesphoto Loc: 70 miles south of St.Louis
 
bwana wrote:
'Small screws'... yup, I can see it now!

bwa


LOL J/K, I do have a smaller lathe, but I can't cut threads on it. I need a 5-40 screw with a 3/8 dia. head for the hammer on my flintlock.
But I do have dies, so one of these days I may get it made.

Reply
Page <prev 2 of 4 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2023 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.