Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Photo Analysis
Photos Canon R6 vs iPhone Pro Max 13
Page <prev 2 of 3 next>
Sep 21, 2022 22:51:39   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
steveo52 wrote:
Originally I had not set it correctly. I'm not sure whey I did not set it correctly because I've had some great shots with the R6. Two of those shots were done at a zoo and were so good they were suitable for enlarging. Those 2 shots are now hanging in a music room in my home.

Post the original JPEG, not the LR export, and we can probably point to some details in the EXIF that will explain things.

Reply
Sep 22, 2022 05:53:00   #
Blurryeyed Loc: NC Mountains.
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
I know this is going to be harsh, but it's got to be said: If you don't know how to use your camera, use your phone.

Why are you shooting at f/4?
Why are you shooting at 1/2500?
Why are you shooting so fast you drive the ISO to ISO-1250?

When presenting two images for comparison, and using LR, export the two images to the same pixel dimensions.

If you want a camera image that clearly demonstrates the benefits of this expensive luxury technology, use it in a way that justifies this expensive luxury technology.
I know this is going to be harsh, but it's got to ... (show quote)


Good Call! As good as cell phones are these days there is no way that they are better than a camera used with proper settings, I don't really see anything in particularly good focus in the first image, I also know that the tiny lens on the tiny sensor is shooting at a small aperture, bringing everything into focus, not so much on his full frame wide open with that particular lens. I would image that the R6 could handle ISO 1250 pretty well, I know my Canon camera can but he still did not use the proper setting for the shot, another question is why is he shooting through a screened patio?

Not a serious comparison.

Reply
Sep 22, 2022 06:30:05   #
AFPhoto Loc: Jamestown, RI, USA
 
I shoot the R5 and the iPhone 14 ProMax. In my opinion there is no comparison on the quality and flexibility of use except for one area where the iPhone clearly wins out. It is always in my pocket so photo opportunities that come along when I dont have the camera can now be exploited.

Reply
 
 
Sep 22, 2022 09:43:50   #
Jimmy T Loc: Virginia
 
AFPhoto wrote:
I shoot the R5 and the iPhone 14 ProMax. In my opinion there is no comparison on the quality and flexibility of use except for one area where the iPhone clearly wins out. It is always in my pocket so photo opportunities that come along when I dont have the camera can now be exploited.


I concur with your reasoning.
However, I am still reeling from the refreshing, new, and kinder CHG_CANON response, YIKES!?!
Now that makes me . . . .
Smile,
JimmyT Sends

Reply
Sep 22, 2022 09:56:46   #
abc1234 Loc: Elk Grove Village, Illinois
 
A lot here to digest. If you like the phone result and do not want to process raw files, then keep the phone and sell the camera. I could easily make that raw look like the camera picture in about sixty seconds. The phone may be using something like AI to get that nice, dark sky. You can achieve the same thing with a raw.

However, that misses the point that your camera is superior to the phone in all ways but two: convenience and print quality. If all you want to do is to view your pictures on a screen, then you do not need a camera.

Reply
Sep 22, 2022 13:44:49   #
genocolo Loc: Vail and Gasparilla Island
 
Does it strike anyone else as ironic that we considering how to make a high end dslr photo as good as an iPhone photo?

Reply
Sep 22, 2022 13:57:49   #
Blurryeyed Loc: NC Mountains.
 
genocolo wrote:
Does it strike anyone else as ironic that we considering how to make a high end dslr photo as good as an iPhone photo?


Cell phones have come a long way, I recognized this years ago, but I don't think that they come close to a DSLR or Mirrorless if you know how to properly use your camera and do post.

Reply
 
 
Sep 22, 2022 17:41:45   #
Fotoartist Loc: Detroit, Michigan
 
steveo52 wrote:
I’m including 2 photos from a vacation we are on in a rental home. They are both of the same palm tree. I like the photo better from the Iphone 13 and am not really happy with the straight out of the Canon r6. If I ran the Canon photo thru Lightroom I know I can improve it. Would you do anything different with the settings?

Here’s the settings for the Canon r6 24-105, RF lens, 50mm ISO 250, f/4, 1/2500. I used landscape as the picture style in AV.

For the iPhone 13 Pro Max 37mm, iso 50, f/1.5, 1/1412.

The Canon is the first photo the second the iPhone.
I’m including 2 photos from a vacation we are on i... (show quote)


I would think more seriously about making a better apples to apples test than you did.

Reply
Sep 23, 2022 07:04:10   #
steveo52 Loc: Rhode Island and Ocala Florida
 
Thanks for all the thoughtful and helpful replies. This was a failed experiment on my part YEA USER ERROR! A couple of things worth mentioning. I was just playing around while sitting having coffee on the vacation home pool deck when I took those shots so the subject wasn’t good to begin with. I also had a DUH moment. I used Canon Camera Connect to transfer the file from the R6 to the iPhone. Here’s the DUH part, it only transferred a 1mb jpeg to the phone which I then uploaded to UHH. The iPhone photo is 12mp. Normally I would have exported the photo to LR as a RAW file. I have had success in the past with the R6 with quality output and normally process thru LR. Two of those photos from the past of a visit from the zoo are now hanging on a wall in my home. Those wood panels are 20x30. With that said I’ll write it again it was failed experiment on my part.

Reply
Sep 27, 2022 17:19:39   #
10MPlayer Loc: California
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
I know this is going to be harsh, but it's got to be said: If you don't know how to use your camera, use your phone.

Why are you shooting at f/4?
Why are you shooting at 1/2500?
Why are you shooting so fast you drive the ISO to ISO-1250?

When presenting two images for comparison, and using LR, export the two images to the same pixel dimensions.

If you want a camera image that clearly demonstrates the benefits of this expensive luxury technology, use it in a way that justifies this expensive luxury technology.
I know this is going to be harsh, but it's got to ... (show quote)


+1

Setting the camera on some random settings and expecting great results isn't going to work. The biggest problem I see is the posterization around the boat in teh camera image. The phone image looks good.

Reply
Sep 27, 2022 17:29:07   #
steveo52 Loc: Rhode Island and Ocala Florida
 
10MPlayer wrote:
+1

Setting the camera on some random settings and expecting great results isn't going to work. The biggest problem I see is the posterization around the boat in teh camera image. The phone image looks good.


Thanks, 10M player I know what what wrong now.

Reply
 
 
Oct 8, 2022 17:02:31   #
salawrence1 Loc: California
 
Is the photo out of the canon a raw photo and the one from the Iphone a jpeg that has been processed ? If so, its not a equal comparison. I am not very experienced so I could be totally wrong.

Reply
Oct 8, 2022 17:13:10   #
steveo52 Loc: Rhode Island and Ocala Florida
 
salawrence1 wrote:
Is the photo out of the canon a raw photo and the one from the Iphone a jpeg that has been processed ? If so, its not a equal comparison. I am not very experienced so I could be totally wrong.


No the photo was a jpeg right out of the camera. My experiment was not a good one.

Reply
Oct 11, 2022 07:46:27   #
foathog Loc: Greensboro, NC
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
I know this is going to be harsh, but it's got to be said: If you don't know how to use your camera, use your phone.

Why are you shooting at f/4?
Why are you shooting at 1/2500?
Why are you shooting so fast you drive the ISO to ISO-1250?

When presenting two images for comparison, and using LR, export the two images to the same pixel dimensions.

If you want a camera image that clearly demonstrates the benefits of this expensive luxury technology, use it in a way that justifies this expensive luxury technology.
I know this is going to be harsh, but it's got to ... (show quote)


Well put, Paul

Reply
Oct 14, 2022 13:42:17   #
10MPlayer Loc: California
 
Blurryeyed wrote:
Good Call! As good as cell phones are these days there is no way that they are better than a camera used with proper settings, I don't really see anything in particularly good focus in the first image, I also know that the tiny lens on the tiny sensor is shooting at a small aperture, bringing everything into focus, not so much on his full frame wide open with that particular lens. I would image that the R6 could handle ISO 1250 pretty well, I know my Canon camera can but he still did not use the proper setting for the shot, another question is why is he shooting through a screened patio?

Not a serious comparison.
Good Call! As good as cell phones are these days t... (show quote)


My wife and daughter questioned why I brought my "big camera" to a kid's birthday party. The phones do a great job at what they do. In fact for photos with a big dynamic range they can do a better job in that the iPhone uses HDR technology to get the best possible image in difficult situations.

What they can't do is capture the look on my 2 year old grandson's face when he's 30 or 40 feet away and playing with his new toys.

Reply
Page <prev 2 of 3 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Photo Analysis
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2023 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.