Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
Windows Password
Page 1 of 2 next>
Aug 4, 2022 07:02:39   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
After a Windows update a couple of months ago, I had to start using a password to log onto my computer. What's strange is that I don't always need it. I think that it wants a password only when I do a complete Shut Down, rather than just Hibernate. That doesn't sound right, though.

Today, my password would not work. I know I typed it correctly, but it eventually asked if I wanted to change it, so I did. At one time, I didn't need a Windows password, but I can't get back to that state. I really don't like passwords.

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 07:14:25   #
Plieku69 Loc: The Gopher State, south end
 
After the 11 update mine wants a pin number. The finger print scanner no longer works, very annoying.

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 07:18:50   #
Bigmike1 Loc: I am from Gaffney, S.C. but live in Utah.
 
It's all about control, just like with Facebook. I am in Facebook jail right now for saying that Jayne Whats Her Face is a traitor and should be tied to a post and shot. There ain't no First Amendment with Facebook. It is about control.

Reply
 
 
Aug 4, 2022 07:33:26   #
Plieku69 Loc: The Gopher State, south end
 
I agree with Bigmike, but will say no more to stay out of UHH jail.

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 07:34:16   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
Win 11 initially wants a pin, no carriage (CR) return necessary.
I changed it to "allow letters and characters", needs CR now.
Up to so many minutes of non-use, no PIN/PW required.
After X minutes, PW required. (I've no idea of how long that is.)

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 07:48:18   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
Longshadow wrote:
Win 11 initially wants a pin, no carriage (CR) return necessary.
I changed it to "allow letters and characters", needs CR now.
Up to so many minutes of non-use, no PIN/PW required.
After X minutes, PW required. (I've no idea of how long that is.)


I'll go back to a PIN if I can't stop the P/W requests. I really don't need a password to protect my computer in my house.

I followed directions to remove the need for a password, but it didn't take. I'll switch to a PIN.

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 07:54:03   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
jerryc41 wrote:
I'll go back to a PIN if I can't stop the P/W requests. I really don't need a password to protect my computer in my house.

I followed directions to remove the need for a password, but it didn't take. I'll switch to a PIN.

It will still require the PIN after a certain time period of inactivity.

Isn't a PIN simply a four digit PW?

Reply
 
 
Aug 4, 2022 08:18:32   #
Bloke Loc: Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
 
jerryc41 wrote:
After a Windows update a couple of months ago, I had to start using a password to log onto my computer. What's strange is that I don't always need it. I think that it wants a password only when I do a complete Shut Down, rather than just Hibernate. That doesn't sound right, though.

Today, my password would not work. I know I typed it correctly, but it eventually asked if I wanted to change it, so I did. At one time, I didn't need a Windows password, but I can't get back to that state. I really don't like passwords.
After a Windows update a couple of months ago, I h... (show quote)


I hate having to use a password on my PC - I live alone, so if someone has access to my computer, that is the least of my worries! I tried to use my army serial number as a password (8 digits), but it said that wasn't secure enough. Then it offered me the option of using a 4-digit PIN!

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 08:30:45   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
Bloke wrote:
I hate having to use a password on my PC - I live alone, so if someone has access to my computer, that is the least of my worries! I tried to use my army serial number as a password (8 digits), but it said that wasn't secure enough. Then it offered me the option of using a 4-digit PIN!


Reply
Aug 4, 2022 08:31:19   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
Longshadow wrote:
It will still require the PIN after a certain time period of inactivity.

Isn't a PIN simply a four digit PW?


A few months ago, I didn't need any kind of sign-in. Before that, I had a PIN. I just went through a bunch of steps, but now I need a password. The thing is, there's a box to check to require or not require signing in. Even though the box is unchecked, it still asks for a P/W. I'm going to see if I can switch back to the PIN.

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 08:36:16   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
We use PWs on all our computers.
Prevents unauthorized use (nosy guests, grandkids), and if someone steals the laptops, hopefully it will delay them from using it.

Reply
 
 
Aug 4, 2022 10:35:20   #
buckbrush Loc: Texas then Southwest Oregon
 
Bloke wrote:
I hate having to use a password on my PC - I live alone, so if someone has access to my computer, that is the least of my worries! I tried to use my army serial number as a password (8 digits), but it said that wasn't secure enough. Then it offered me the option of using a 4-digit PIN!


Now that's funny!

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 11:57:48   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
When I just started the computer, it didn't ask for a password or a PIN.

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 12:22:31   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
jerryc41 wrote:
When I just started the computer, it didn't ask for a password or a PIN.

My HP win 11 laptop asked me for a PIN when I first used it out of the box.
Maybe it depends on the manufacturer?

Reply
Aug 5, 2022 00:00:51   #
TriX Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
jerryc41 wrote:
After a Windows update a couple of months ago, I had to start using a password to log onto my computer. What's strange is that I don't always need it. I think that it wants a password only when I do a complete Shut Down, rather than just Hibernate. That doesn't sound right, though.

Today, my password would not work. I know I typed it correctly, but it eventually asked if I wanted to change it, so I did. At one time, I didn't need a Windows password, but I can't get back to that state. I really don't like passwords.
After a Windows update a couple of months ago, I h... (show quote)


You can change or remove the password from a startup in: settings/accounts/sign-in options/password and choose “never”. There also may be a password when awakening from the screen saver which can be changed in control panel/display/password protect the screen saver and turn it off.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.