Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Beware of eBay--they have no customer service support
Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
Aug 4, 2022 00:06:37   #
OldSchool-WI Loc: Brandon, Wisconsin 53919
 
Fortunately most transactions go through as hoped and don't need "customer service support." But in the few instances when their is a problem---don't expect much or any help from eBay. If you use Paypal--you can get your money back.

Recently I purchased a camera body from a Canadian seller who promptly shipped from Toronto. Canadian post took it to customs located in Chicago in just one day. I am located 200 miles N of Chicago. Now the tracking stopped at customs. Next Monday it will have been at customs for two weeks without word or further tracking. The seller sold and shipped in good faith and is not to blame for the delay. Orders from China, Japan and elsewhere don't languish that long. One jumps through many hoops to even get a question answered by eBay and I finally got one saying they would not consider it until the estimated time in customs ends Monday after two weeks. The seller suggested they told him customs would probably be returning the camera to him and that I should lodge a return with eBay and if returned to Toronto--re-order. That certainly makes one question placing orders out of the country. But then I was cheated out of $87. earlier this year by a woman in country, with no help from eBay, but wasted much time. I know that photographers who mostly use used equipment are forced to transact on eBay. Ebay has the online monopoly. And caveat emptor. But don't expect to fulfill your hopes until you have it in your hands and have tried it out.---------

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 00:22:23   #
User ID
 
OldSchool-WI wrote:
Fortunately most transactions go through as hoped and don't need "customer service support." But in the few instances when their is a problem---don't expect much or any help from eBay. If you use Paypal--you can get your money back.

Recently I purchased a camera body from a Canadian seller who promptly shipped from Toronto. Canadian post took it to customs located in Chicago in just one day. I am located 200 miles N of Chicago. Now the tracking stopped at customs. Next Monday it will have been at customs for two weeks without word or further tracking. The seller sold and shipped in good faith and is not to blame for the delay. Orders from China, Japan and elsewhere don't languish that long. One jumps through many hoops to even get a question answered by eBay and I finally got one saying they would not consider it until the estimated time in customs ends Monday after two weeks. The seller suggested they told him customs would probably be returning the camera to him and that I should lodge a return with eBay and if returned to Toronto--re-order. That certainly makes one question placing orders out of the country. But then I was cheated out of $87. earlier this year by a woman in country, with no help from eBay, but wasted much time. I know that photographers who mostly use used equipment are forced to transact on eBay. Ebay has the online monopoly. And caveat emptor. But don't expect to fulfill your hopes until you have it in your hands and have tried it out.---------
Fortunately most transactions go through as hoped ... (show quote)

My own experience of ebay support on international deals is that they are very slow but actually effective.

BTW ebay and paypal are conjoined so that should help if you used paypal but my experiences were both paid by Visa cards, altho I never had to ask Visa to intervene.

Maybe youre a magnet for misfortune ?
Might help to get your genome read ...

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 00:25:26   #
AzYooper Loc: Sun Lakes AZ (Almost Phoenix)
 
Never had a problem with eBay customer service. Yours seems to be a tricky deal that no one can really make happen faster.

eBay certainly does not have close to a monopoly on used camera gear. There are so many other good used camera gear companies, B&H, MPB, KEH, etc. Why bother with eBay, especially out of the country? I think you are just asking for trouble in a scenario such as you are involved in.

Reply
 
 
Aug 4, 2022 00:35:44   #
OldSchool-WI Loc: Brandon, Wisconsin 53919
 
But I just want the camera and NOT two weeks in customs and re-ordering. The seller sent in good faith and I have no reason to suspect the camera is not as advertised. Two weeks for a camera body in customs, sent from Toronto is a disgrace. And then to suggest the camera might be returned to the seller and the entire purchase started over is no help at all. Whenever possible I do use PayPal and I already posted on UHH, that a website selling a lens took my order and the money went into a private account with a woman's name and no order slip was generated. I had the facts along with the offering and Paypal credited me the full amount in five minutes. The fake listing still shows on a google search for that lens. It could be that a problem comes up in only one in fifty purchases on eBay---but one must remember they make it difficult to impossible to get help.-------

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 00:41:37   #
GeneV Loc: Lampasas, Texas
 
AzYooper said it in spades. B&H, MPB, and KEH are great people to deal with and have very competitive prices. If your present deal falls thru, give them a look. I have had several purchases/trades with them and never had a problem.

G

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 00:46:56   #
User ID
 
OldSchool-WI wrote:
But I just want the camera and NOT two weeks in customs and re-ordering. The seller sent in good faith and I have no reason to suspect the camera is not as advertised. Two weeks for a camera body in customs, sent from Toronto is a disgrace. And then to suggest the camera might be returned to the seller and the entire purchase started over is no help at all. Whenever possible I do use PayPal and I already posted on UHH, that a website selling a lens took my order and the money went into a private account with a woman's name and no order slip was generated. I had the facts along with the offering and Paypal credited me the full amount in five minutes. The fake listing still shows on a google search for that lens. It could be that a problem comes up in only one in fifty purchases on eBay---but one must remember they make it difficult to impossible to get help.-------
But I just want the camera and NOT two weeks in cu... (show quote)

Okaaaaay ... now things are starting to sound sadly familiar :-(

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 00:52:02   #
OldSchool-WI Loc: Brandon, Wisconsin 53919
 
Your answer expresses that price is not an object with you? I check all the firms you mention and I only buy small insignificant accessory items from B&H. As an example---I recently wanted a Sigma fast EX lens with a range just above my existing Sigma fast Ex lens. Sigma uses an SA mount. Late at night I saw what I wanted, but unfortunately forgot Sigma makes lens with mounts for all major brands. I place my bid on the auction and about a minute late I realized I didn't check the mount as the seller didn't state the mount. I tried to cancel my bid. But no go. I could not fit a reason for my oversight. I asked the lister about the mount and he said he had no idea and to look at his pictures. I compared with other offerings of the same lens--for Nikon, Canon, Sony, and Sigma and could see it was for Sony A. Prices on the lens ranged from this offering to the mid-range of $4-6 hundred--all the way up to a grand. B&H had one for eight hundred. I went through with the auction and was the only bidder so got the lens for Sony A mount at $175. with shipping. I am buying a Sony body to use with my Sigma F:2.8 zoom Ex lens. And that is the order delayed from Canada.----

Reply
 
 
Aug 4, 2022 01:38:46   #
User ID
 
OldSchool-WI wrote:
Your answer expresses that price is not an object with you? I check all the firms you mention and I only buy small insignificant accessory items from B&H. As an example---I recently wanted a Sigma fast EX lens with a range just above my existing Sigma fast Ex lens. Sigma uses an SA mount. Late at night I saw what I wanted, but unfortunately forgot Sigma makes lens with mounts for all major brands. I place my bid on the auction and about a minute late I realized I didn't check the mount as the seller didn't state the mount. I tried to cancel my bid. But no go. I could not fit a reason for my oversight. I asked the lister about the mount and he said he had no idea and to look at his pictures. I compared with other offerings of the same lens--for Nikon, Canon, Sony, and Sigma and could see it was for Sony A. Prices on the lens ranged from this offering to the mid-range of $4-6 hundred--all the way up to a grand. B&H had one for eight hundred. I went through with the auction and was the only bidder so got the lens for Sony A mount at $175. with shipping. I am buying a Sony body to use with my Sigma F:2.8 zoom Ex lens. And that is the order delayed from Canada.----
Your answer expresses that price is not an object ... (show quote)

Seems like US Customs is hardly the primary source of frustration, altho I guess the delay is your "final straw".

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 02:04:17   #
flip1948 Loc: Hamden, CT
 
User ID wrote:
Okaaaaay ... now things are starting to sound sadly familiar :-(

I thought he announced in February that he asked the Admin. to delete his account because the Admin. had deleted 4 of his posts defending Joe McCarthy. He bid all of us snarkies and trolls goodbye. Apparently you can't take anyone at their word these days.

https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-730260-1.html

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 02:50:03   #
Grahame Loc: Fiji
 
Difficult to understand how a delay within the 'customs system' translates to a warning to "Beware of ebay - they have NO customer service support".

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 04:43:26   #
flathead27ford Loc: Colorado, North of Greeley
 
OldSchool-WI wrote:
Fortunately most transactions go through as hoped and don't need "customer service support." But in the few instances when their is a problem---don't expect much or any help from eBay. If you use Paypal--you can get your money back.

Recently I purchased a camera body from a Canadian seller who promptly shipped from Toronto. Canadian post took it to customs located in Chicago in just one day. I am located 200 miles N of Chicago. Now the tracking stopped at customs. Next Monday it will have been at customs for two weeks without word or further tracking. The seller sold and shipped in good faith and is not to blame for the delay. Orders from China, Japan and elsewhere don't languish that long. One jumps through many hoops to even get a question answered by eBay and I finally got one saying they would not consider it until the estimated time in customs ends Monday after two weeks. The seller suggested they told him customs would probably be returning the camera to him and that I should lodge a return with eBay and if returned to Toronto--re-order. That certainly makes one question placing orders out of the country. But then I was cheated out of $87. earlier this year by a woman in country, with no help from eBay, but wasted much time. I know that photographers who mostly use used equipment are forced to transact on eBay. Ebay has the online monopoly. And caveat emptor. But don't expect to fulfill your hopes until you have it in your hands and have tried it out.---------
Fortunately most transactions go through as hoped ... (show quote)


This is exactly why I will not buy or sell to Canada. Things get hung up in customs for WAY to long.

Reply
 
 
Aug 4, 2022 05:23:45   #
camerapapi Loc: Miami, Fl.
 
I see no reasons for buying a used camera in a foreign country when we have excellent, reputable used camera stores in this country. Buy from Adorama, B&H. Hunt, Robert's Camera, MPB among others and you will not only have the camera in a few days but also it will come from most of them with a 6 months warranty.

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 07:09:10   #
billnikon Loc: Pennsylvania/Ohio/Florida/Maui/Oregon/Vermont
 
OldSchool-WI wrote:
Fortunately most transactions go through as hoped and don't need "customer service support." But in the few instances when their is a problem---don't expect much or any help from eBay. If you use Paypal--you can get your money back.

Recently I purchased a camera body from a Canadian seller who promptly shipped from Toronto. Canadian post took it to customs located in Chicago in just one day. I am located 200 miles N of Chicago. Now the tracking stopped at customs. Next Monday it will have been at customs for two weeks without word or further tracking. The seller sold and shipped in good faith and is not to blame for the delay. Orders from China, Japan and elsewhere don't languish that long. One jumps through many hoops to even get a question answered by eBay and I finally got one saying they would not consider it until the estimated time in customs ends Monday after two weeks. The seller suggested they told him customs would probably be returning the camera to him and that I should lodge a return with eBay and if returned to Toronto--re-order. That certainly makes one question placing orders out of the country. But then I was cheated out of $87. earlier this year by a woman in country, with no help from eBay, but wasted much time. I know that photographers who mostly use used equipment are forced to transact on eBay. Ebay has the online monopoly. And caveat emptor. But don't expect to fulfill your hopes until you have it in your hands and have tried it out.---------
Fortunately most transactions go through as hoped ... (show quote)


I beg to differ. As a seller with over 2000 sales on ebay, I can tell you that I will not sell anything to anyone in Canada. Canadian post is the worst. My daughter lives in Montreal, we sent her a Christmas box Priority Mail on November 1 for Christmas, she got it March of the following year.
As a 100% seller on Ebay I have a list of countries that I block from shipment, Canada is #1 on that list.
I have found Ebay to be more on the side of the buyer than the seller.
I shipped a fishing rod out to a buyer, I have sent out over 200 fishing poles without an issue, this buyer did not notify me that the rod, he said, arrived broken, he filed a claim on me without notifying me first, ebay refunded him out of my account, then notified me that they refunded the buyer. I asked for the rod to be returned or I would put in a claim, the buyer refused.
So, I beg to differ with you, ebay as always tended to protect the buyer rather than the seller.
So, your lesson learned should be, do not do business with Canadian Post, they are the WORST.

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 09:12:06   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
Why are you back? With all the same gripes and victimhood?

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 09:24:49   #
User ID
 
Grahame wrote:
Difficult to understand how a delay within the 'customs system' translates to a warning to "Beware of ebay - they have NO customer service support".

Consider the source.

Reply
Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.