Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Links and Resources
Nikon's new S 400mm f4.5 - FINALLY !
Aug 3, 2022 18:49:51   #
imagemeister Loc: Stuart, Florida
 
Now, for the first time in history, Nikon has an AFFORDABLE / CARRYABLE autofocusing 400mm prime ! - https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-z-400mm-f4-5-vr-s-review/

Why is this so IMPORTANT ??

For wildlife and bird shooters, 400mm on APSC = 600mm on full frame. And, 600MM full frame field of view (FOV) is the MINIMUM focal length for successful wildlife/bird photography ! - with the ability to go longer (840mm FOV) with a 1.4X and be hand holdable and still have reasonably good AF and IQ. The f4.5 aperture and mirrorless technologies make this possible.

So, I would urge serious wildlife shooters to consider using the Z50 with this lens and 1.4X as a serious solution for wild life - and I am a Canon/Sony person ! ........Larry ........my seat belt is buckled and I am ready for push-backs
.

Reply
Aug 3, 2022 20:31:37   #
Architect1776 Loc: In my mind
 
imagemeister wrote:
Now, for the first time in history, Nikon has an AFFORDABLE / CARRYABLE autofocusing 400mm prime ! - https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-z-400mm-f4-5-vr-s-review/

Why is this so IMPORTANT ??

For wildlife and bird shooters, 400mm on APSC = 600mm on full frame. And, 600MM full frame field of view (FOV) is the MINIMUM focal length for successful wildlife/bird photography ! - with the ability to go longer (840mm FOV) with a 1.4X and be hand holdable and still have reasonably good AF and IQ. The f4.5 aperture and mirrorless technologies make this possible.

So, I would urge serious wildlife shooters to consider using the Z50 with this lens and 1.4X as a serious solution for wild life - and I am a Canon/Sony person ! ........Larry ........my seat belt is buckled and I am ready for push-backs
.
Now, for the first time in history, Nikon has an A... (show quote)



Reply
Aug 4, 2022 06:48:15   #
ClarkJohnson Loc: Fort Myers, FL and Cohasset, MA
 
This looks like a great lens. However, in my experience, the Z50 AF is pretty poor for wildlife. Still hoping we will see a Z version of the D500!

Reply
 
 
Aug 4, 2022 08:41:26   #
imagemeister Loc: Stuart, Florida
 
ClarkJohnson wrote:
This looks like a great lens. However, in my experience, the Z50 AF is pretty poor for wildlife. Still hoping we will see a Z version of the D500!


Canon DID it - maybe Nikon is taking notice ? !

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 09:03:50   #
nospambob Loc: Edmond, Oklahoma
 
$3200 is affordable? Sure glad I'm just an amateur ....

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 09:08:40   #
imagemeister Loc: Stuart, Florida
 
nospambob wrote:
$3200 is affordable? Sure glad I'm just an amateur ....


Canon's 400 f4 DO II is $6500 ....... and Sony does not have an answer

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 10:39:17   #
imagemeister Loc: Stuart, Florida
 
imagemeister wrote:
Now, for the first time in history, Nikon has an AFFORDABLE / CARRYABLE autofocusing 400mm prime ! - https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-z-400mm-f4-5-vr-s-review/

Why is this so IMPORTANT ??

For wildlife and bird shooters, 400mm on APSC = 600mm on full frame. And, 600MM full frame field of view (FOV) is the MINIMUM focal length for successful wildlife/bird photography ! - with the ability to go longer (840mm FOV) with a 1.4X and be hand holdable and still have reasonably good AF and IQ. The f4.5 aperture and mirrorless technologies make this possible.

So, I would urge serious wildlife shooters to consider using the Z50 with this lens and 1.4X as a serious solution for wild life - and I am a Canon/Sony person ! ........Larry ........my seat belt is buckled and I am ready for push-backs
.
Now, for the first time in history, Nikon has an A... (show quote)


The only problem is they should have made this a F mount lens and use with Z adapter so it could be used on all their DSLRS ALSO ....8-(

Reply
 
 
Aug 4, 2022 11:25:58   #
Architect1776 Loc: In my mind
 
imagemeister wrote:
The only problem is they should have made this a F mount lens and use with Z adapter so it could be used on all their DSLRS ALSO ....8-(



Reply
Aug 4, 2022 12:24:50   #
Fotoartist Loc: Detroit, Michigan
 
nospambob wrote:
$3200 is affordable? Sure glad I'm just an amateur ....


The old Nikon 400 was more than twice as much.

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Links and Resources
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.