Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
Zucchini Warning
Page 1 of 2 next>
Aug 2, 2022 09:12:38   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
Take heed!



Reply
Aug 2, 2022 09:37:38   #
DeeAndre Loc: Boyertown PA
 
So true!

Reply
Aug 2, 2022 09:47:42   #
burkphoto Loc: High Point, NC
 
jerryc41 wrote:
Take heed!


When it ripens, that is a distinct possibility. We have some good zucchini bread recipes just for that emergency.

Around here, that happens in June and early July. One year, we planted two plants. We should have planted one... The stuff grows like a weed.

Reply
 
 
Aug 2, 2022 09:58:23   #
sb Loc: Florida's East Coast
 
Or leave a large bag of it on your doorstep and run away!

Reply
Aug 2, 2022 10:10:58   #
nimbushopper Loc: Tampa, FL
 
So true! They, like tomatoes, cucumbers, etc, all ripen at once!

Reply
Aug 2, 2022 10:32:52   #
bamfordr Loc: Campbell CA
 
burkphoto wrote:
When it ripens, that is a distinct possibility. We have some good zucchini bread recipes just for that emergency.

Around here, that happens in June and early July. One year, we planted two plants. We should have planted one... The stuff grows like a weed.


And then there’s the one that hides in the shadows in the back.

Reply
Aug 2, 2022 11:06:27   #
gmontjr2350 Loc: Southern NJ
 


George

Reply
 
 
Aug 2, 2022 13:10:38   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
It's too bad that zucchini has become the joke of the vegetable world. It's a nice food.

Reply
Aug 3, 2022 07:14:24   #
rlv567 Loc: Philippines
 
jerryc41 wrote:
Take heed!


If you have any interest in your health, zucchini is one of the very best things you can eat, whether raw (as in salads) or lightly cooked, as also are string beans and broccoli - lightly steamed. I eat one of those every day for dinner, along with some good source of protein - frequently chicken breast, and occasionally salmon filet, again, one of the very best things you can eat - and very tasty, as well. (Cook the salmon with a heavy coating of Badia Lemon Pepper! [scrape mostly off before eating]- and squeeze a fresh lemon over the cooked salmon just before eating.)

A good zucchini bread can be absolutely delicious - desert worthy.

And if you're really interested in your health, a MUST READ is "Food is your Best Medicine", by Doctor Henry Bieler (after 50 years of medical practice and observation). Bieler's Broth is excellent for you - organic, non-GMO zucchini, string beans and possible herbs/spices for added flavor.

Loren - in Beautiful Baguio City

Reply
Aug 3, 2022 07:24:48   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
rlv567 wrote:
A good zucchini bread can be absolutely delicious - desert worthy.

Loren - in Beautiful Baguio City


Yes, I love that, but I'm a bit short of zucchini right now.

Reply
Aug 3, 2022 07:43:16   #
bobmcculloch Loc: NYC, NY
 
I get squash bug almost every year, so never have to much zucchini.

Reply
 
 
Aug 3, 2022 08:15:55   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 

Reply
Aug 3, 2022 08:30:55   #
markngolf Loc: Bridgewater, NJ
 
In a former home in Westfield, NJ, we had an absolutely prolific garden. Of course zucchini were planted. We would let them grow to very large sizes, pick, cut in half (along the length) scoop out the middle, stuff them with cut up vegetables from the garden and then baked them. Delicious!! They grew so fast! Occasionally, someone would ask how to plant zucchini. I would answer, "put the seeds in the ground, water and turn around and run in the opposite direction.

Good one Jerry!!

Mark

Reply
Aug 3, 2022 09:30:13   #
fourlocks Loc: Londonderry, NH
 
jerryc41 wrote:
It's too bad that zucchini has become the joke of the vegetable world. It's a nice food.


I totally agree. While everyone resorts to a myriad of zucchini bread recipes to use them up, I let a few grow into torpedoes. I clean our their seeds and stuff them with just about anything on hand; sausage, tomatoes, cheese, quinoa, mushrooms, rice, etc. It makes a great main meal rather than a side dish or dessert bread.

Reply
Aug 3, 2022 10:49:34   #
rlv567 Loc: Philippines
 
fourlocks wrote:
I totally agree. While everyone resorts to a myriad of zucchini bread recipes to use them up, I let a few grow into torpedoes. I clean our their seeds and stuff them with just about anything on hand; sausage, tomatoes, cheese, quinoa, mushrooms, rice, etc. It makes a great main meal rather than a side dish or dessert bread.


Baked zucchini, stuffed with queso fresco, is delicious!

Loren - in Beautiful Baguio City

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.