Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Photo Gallery
Wild Horse Race
Page 1 of 2 next>
Jun 22, 2022 18:43:03   #
Flying Three Loc: Berthoud, CO
 
The wild horse race as a part of a rodeo mimics the old roundup days when wild or raw horses were caught, saddled, and "broke" on the spot to begin the roundup of cattle on the plains. The rodeo event usually consists of 8-10 "wild" horses released from chutes with only a halter on. The three men team try to subdue the horse, saddle it, and ride the critter around the arena. Few if any succeed.

Horse is out of the chute and the team tries to get a saddle on the horse
Horse is out of the chute and the team tries to ge...

Objecting to the saddle, this horse starts to fall
Objecting to the saddle, this horse starts to fall...

The horse regains his footing
The horse regains his footing...

Horse suddenly goes down again and delivers a kick to the team member
Horse suddenly goes down again and delivers a kick...

Hat in hand. flying through the air. . . .
Hat in hand. flying through the air. . . ....

Amazingly, he is up and tries to rescue his cherished cowboy hat
Amazingly, he is up and tries to rescue his cheris...

One team member has lost interest, and shortly after this, the horse was released
One team member has lost interest, and shortly aft...

Meanwhile, another team look around for their horse that got away. . . .
Meanwhile, another team look around for their hors...

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 20:56:38   #
flathead27ford Loc: Colorado, North of Greeley
 
👍👍

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 21:35:08   #
spaceytracey Loc: East Glacier Park, MT
 
Flying Three wrote:
The wild horse race as a part of a rodeo mimics the old roundup days when wild or raw horses were caught, saddled, and "broke" on the spot to begin the roundup of cattle on the plains. The rodeo event usually consists of 8-10 "wild" horses released from chutes with only a halter on. The three men team try to subdue the horse, saddle it, and ride the critter around the arena. Few if any succeed.


This is animal abuse. NOT a fan.

Reply
 
 
Jun 22, 2022 22:11:42   #
Reuss Griffiths Loc: Ravenna, Ohio
 
spaceytracey wrote:
This is animal abuse. NOT a fan.


You're absolutely right, In addition to abuse of the horse who is only reacting to natural instincts, it's dangerous for the horse itself who may injure himself but also to the competitors who pale in comparison to the horses weight and strength. These pictures demonstrate everything I just said. Surprised this is offered as entertainment as most horsemen know better.

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 22:47:03   #
Architect1776 Loc: In my mind
 
Flying Three wrote:
The wild horse race as a part of a rodeo mimics the old roundup days when wild or raw horses were caught, saddled, and "broke" on the spot to begin the roundup of cattle on the plains. The rodeo event usually consists of 8-10 "wild" horses released from chutes with only a halter on. The three men team try to subdue the horse, saddle it, and ride the critter around the arena. Few if any succeed.



Reply
Jun 23, 2022 08:15:50   #
yssirk123 Loc: New Jersey
 
Great set - well done!

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 10:47:54   #
Dalek Loc: Detroit, Miami, Goffstown
 
What is the point?

Reply
 
 
Jun 23, 2022 11:15:25   #
BartHx
 
Reuss Griffiths wrote:
You're absolutely right, In addition to abuse of the horse who is only reacting to natural instincts, it's dangerous for the horse itself who may injure himself but also to the competitors who pale in comparison to the horses weight and strength. These pictures demonstrate everything I just said. Surprised this is offered as entertainment as most horsemen know better.


Totally agree. You can easily see the horse's terror in the second photo.

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 12:36:10   #
Barn Owl
 
Might be a necessary part of being a cowboy in the old days. Should not be necessary or sold as entertainment anymore. Does anyone know how the Native American tribes trained "broke" their horses? Did the braves keep their "war horses" hobbled at night and near camp?

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 12:43:57   #
Reuss Griffiths Loc: Ravenna, Ohio
 
BartHx wrote:
Totally agree. You can easily see the horse's terror in the second photo.


The competitors in this "race" are confronting this horse's natural instincts head on and these pictures are the result

For anyone who wants to see how this "mount and ride an unridden horse" can be done by one person without any drama, google Monty Roberts Join Up or do the same on YouTube. He uses, instead of confronting, the same instincts to his advantage to accomplish the same thing. A beautiful and amazing presentation of about 10 minutes.

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 12:58:32   #
spaceytracey Loc: East Glacier Park, MT
 
Barn Owl wrote:
Might be a necessary part of being a cowboy in the old days. Should not be necessary or sold as entertainment anymore. Does anyone know how the Native American tribes trained "broke" their horses? Did the braves keep their "war horses" hobbled at night and near camp?


Natives trained by building a bond of trust w/their horses rather than "breaking" them. That's how they still do it.

Reply
 
 
Jun 23, 2022 13:07:15   #
joecichjr Loc: Chicago S. Suburbs, Illinois, USA
 
Flying Three wrote:
The wild horse race as a part of a rodeo mimics the old roundup days when wild or raw horses were caught, saddled, and "broke" on the spot to begin the roundup of cattle on the plains. The rodeo event usually consists of 8-10 "wild" horses released from chutes with only a halter on. The three men team try to subdue the horse, saddle it, and ride the critter around the arena. Few if any succeed.


Superlative action shots in which you can feel the effort and excitement 🏆🥇🏆🥇🏆

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 13:50:16   #
HRoss Loc: Longmont, CO
 
I'm sure this is going to leave a mark!

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 17:58:09   #
Reuss Griffiths Loc: Ravenna, Ohio
 
spaceytracey wrote:
Natives trained by building a bond of trust w/their horses rather than "breaking" them. That's how they still do it.


Further to your comments, GaWaNi Pony Boy is a Native American who specializes in training horses in the traditional Native American manner as learned from the horse trainers from several plains tribes. He has a website should anyone be interested. Also the Nez Perce tribe in the Pacific Northwest are famous for horse breeding having created the Appaloosa breed in the 19th century and more recently a variation of that breed called the Nez Perce horse.

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 19:46:49   #
RodeoMan Loc: St Joseph, Missouri
 
There very well may be a situation where a horse would need to be secured and subdued, but gratituous cruelty for the unnecessary entertainment of people should never be condoned. There are people who would accept a horse being treated this way, but would not tolerate their pet dog be similarly mistreated. If you think this is acceptable, ask yourself if you would treat your dog this way or allow someone else to do so.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Photo Gallery
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.