Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Shall I update my camera?
Page 1 of 7 next> last>>
Jun 21, 2022 13:35:21   #
Urnst Loc: Brownsville, Texas
 
I have a 16mp camera and am considering buying an updated version with 20mp. The new camera would cost $700. Is it worth it? I mostly look at my images on my computer but sometimes make prints.

Reply
Jun 21, 2022 13:39:53   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
G.A.S.?

I get nice prints (up to 11x14 so far) from my <old> 15Mp camera.

Reply
Jun 21, 2022 13:48:30   #
PHRubin Loc: Nashville TN USA
 
If you are happy with the old one, stay with it.
I doubt the 20 MP will give much better images, but a new camera will probably have new improved features. Only you can decide after reviewing the camera description if it is worth the money. Good luck either way.

Reply
 
 
Jun 21, 2022 13:54:11   #
BebuLamar
 
It's really up to you and you didn't give sufficient information. If the only gain is the 20MP then the improvment is very small.

Reply
Jun 21, 2022 14:03:44   #
bnsf
 
Rent the camera instead of purchasing it first, then compare the photos and see which one is better. Then decide from there. It will be money well spent to rent first than decide.

Reply
Jun 21, 2022 14:14:27   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
Wouldn't it be a more relevant question to identify both cameras by model and brand? Going from one great 16MP camera, say a Nikon D4, to another camera with just more resolution, say a Nikon D7500, who in their right mind would agree with this proposal when these details are present?

Beyond these necessary relevant details, be sure to identify whether the new camera has a mirror.

Reply
Jun 21, 2022 14:24:35   #
Urnst Loc: Brownsville, Texas
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
Wouldn't it be a more relevant question to identify both cameras by model and brand? Going from one great 16MP camera, say a Nikon D4, to another camera with just more resolution, say a Nikon D7500, who in their right mind would agree with this proposal when these details are present?

Beyond these necessary relevant details, be sure to identify whether the new camera has a mirror.


My present camera is an Olympus OMD Mark one and the new one would be an OMD Mark Two. I'm only conderned about image quality and not additional features other image quality.

Reply
 
 
Jun 21, 2022 14:25:24   #
Urnst Loc: Brownsville, Texas
 
PHRubin wrote:
If you are happy with the old one, stay with it.
I doubt the 20 MP will give much better images, but a new camera will probably have new improved features. Only you can decide after reviewing the camera description if it is worth the money. Good luck either way.


Thanks for your reply!

Reply
Jun 21, 2022 14:26:05   #
Urnst Loc: Brownsville, Texas
 
Longshadow wrote:
G.A.S.?

I get nice prints (up to 11x14 so far) from my <old> 15Mp camera.


Thanks for your reply!

Reply
Jun 21, 2022 14:26:38   #
burkphoto Loc: High Point, NC
 
Urnst wrote:
I have a 16mp camera and am considering buying an updated version with 20mp. The new camera would cost $700. Is it worth it? I mostly look at my images on my computer but sometimes make prints.


Scroll through the specs of the 20MP camera and determine which features you will really use, which features might improve your captures, and which features will let you photograph things that are difficult to capture adequately with your present camera.

I have a 16MP Lumix GH4. My son has a 20MP Lumix GH5. The GH5 does a lot of things the GH4 didn't, but I can still make great images and video with the GH4. Now, the GH6 is out, with a 25MP sensor (all new) AND a lot of features the GH4 and all three of the GH5 models combined don't have. It has also been seven years since I bought an eight year old design. So there is enough there to entice me to get one. It will make very significant improvements in ease of use, plus still image quality, video quality, audio quality, and flexibility.

In most cases, I try to think GLASS (lenses) before body upgrades. But when there will be a dramatic improvement in things I value, I get a new body. And if a new SYSTEM comes along with features my current system does not have, and I also happen to NEED those features, I'll switch systems.

Reply
Jun 21, 2022 14:26:49   #
Urnst Loc: Brownsville, Texas
 
BebuLamar wrote:
It's really up to you and you didn't give sufficient information. If the only gain is the 20MP then the improvment is very small.


Thanks for your reply.

Reply
 
 
Jun 21, 2022 14:28:04   #
Urnst Loc: Brownsville, Texas
 
burkphoto wrote:
Scroll through the specs of the 20MP camera and determine which features you will really use, which features might improve your captures, and which features will let you photograph things that are difficult to capture adequately with your present camera.

I have a 16MP Lumix GH4. My son has a 20MP Lumix GH5. The GH5 does a lot of things the GH4 didn't, but I can still make great images and video with the GH4. Now, the GH6 is out, with a 25MP sensor (all new) AND a lot of features the GH4 and all three of the GH5 models combined don't have. It has also been seven years since I bought an eight year old design. So there is enough there to entice me to get one. It will make very significant improvements in ease of use, plus still image quality, video quality, audio quality, and flexibility.

In most cases, I try to think GLASS (lenses) before body upgrades. But when there will be a dramatic improvement in things I value, I get a new body. And if a new SYSTEM comes along with features my current system does not have, and I also happen to NEED those features, I'll switch systems.
Scroll through the specs of the 20MP camera and de... (show quote)


Thanks for your reply!

Reply
Jun 21, 2022 14:28:51   #
Urnst Loc: Brownsville, Texas
 
bnsf wrote:
Rent the camera instead of purchasing it first, then compare the photos and see which one is better. Then decide from there. It will be money well spent to rent first than decide.


Thanks for your reply.

Reply
Jun 21, 2022 14:34:04   #
User ID
 
Urnst wrote:
I have a 16mp camera and am considering buying an updated version with 20mp. The new camera would cost $700. Is it worth it? I mostly look at my images on my computer but sometimes make prints.

If the *only* difference is the pixel count just forget about it.

16 vs 20MP strongly hints at m4/3. In nearly all instances the 20MP camera includes many other useful upgrades. If theres no value for *you* in the other feature upgrades then theres no reason at all to spend that $700.

Reply
Jun 21, 2022 14:34:28   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
Urnst wrote:
My present camera is an Olympus OMD Mark one and the new one would be an OMD Mark Two. I'm only conderned about image quality and not additional features other image quality.


Most camera manufacturers update the sensor design and the digital processor in model to model updates. One would expect to see relatively minor improvements, not revolutionary differences in cameras just one generation apart.

If you're not satisfied with your current images, consider starting a new thread posting example images being sure to store original unedited JPEGs and ask for help and ideas specific to those images. This free action will prove to be much more effective than trying to buy better images from another camera model.

Reply
Page 1 of 7 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.