Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
Windows Search Bar - Graphic
Page 1 of 2 next>
May 28, 2022 08:42:14   #
bobbyjohn Loc: Dallas, TX
 
I use Windows 10. Within the last month, down in the bottom left search bar, there now appears some small graphics in the search bar, just to the right edge. This graphic changes randomly without my doing anything. Has anyone else seen this newfangled thing? Was it part of some Windows update? Is there an ON and OFF switch to see the graphic or not? It's not a major concern, but just thought I'd ask.



Reply
May 28, 2022 08:47:09   #
theaverlo Loc: Iowa
 
To remove it, right-click on the task bar, click on 'Search', and then uncheck 'Show search highlights'. It was bugging me too until I discovered how to get rid of it.

Reply
May 28, 2022 08:49:14   #
13
 
It came with windows updating. Move your mouse over the "Icon" and do a right click. There you have a choice to shut it...or take it off. Good luck.

Reply
 
 
May 28, 2022 08:53:21   #
rwm283main Loc: Terryville, CT
 
More eye candy some software engineer thought everyone would like. Windows is notorious for this sort of stuff.

Reply
May 28, 2022 08:57:59   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
rwm283main wrote:
More eye candy some software engineer thought everyone would like. Windows is notorious for this sort of stuff.

Gee-whiz-bag sells to a lot of people.

Reply
May 28, 2022 08:59:11   #
lamiaceae Loc: San Luis Obispo County, CA
 
bobbyjohn wrote:
I use Windows 10. Within the last month, down in the bottom left search bar, there now appears some small graphics in the search bar, just to the right edge. This graphic changes randomly without my doing anything. Has anyone else seen this newfangled thing? Was it part of some Windows update? Is there an ON and OFF switch to see the graphic or not? It's not a major concern, but just thought I'd ask.


yes, I have the same thing happening. Just something to ignore I guess.

Update: Now I see others say we can remove it. I'll try that too. It is all for kids, not us seniors that know what we want to do.

Reply
May 28, 2022 09:11:21   #
alexol
 
Sorta copying Google, I think.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, there's a new graphic (sometimes just a pictures, sometimes and animation, sometimes a deeper series of links) everyday, on the Google search page.

Reply
 
 
May 28, 2022 09:13:50   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
alexol wrote:
Sorta copying Google, I think.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, there's a new graphic (sometimes just a pictures, sometimes and animation, sometimes a deeper series of links) everyday, on the Google search page.

Maybe Google wants to make the landing page more "exciting"........

Reply
May 28, 2022 09:44:10   #
kpmac Loc: Ragley, La
 
I noticed it. I got rid of it by right-clicking and going to search and then unchecking search highlights. It really bothers me knowing they are still being sneaky about tracking me.

Reply
May 28, 2022 09:46:51   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
kpmac wrote:
I noticed it. I got rid of it by right-clicking and going to search and then unchecking search highlights. It really bothers me knowing they are still being sneaky about tracking me.

It's all about metrics.

Reply
May 28, 2022 13:29:57   #
bobbyjohn Loc: Dallas, TX
 
Thanks to all who responded ... and with that information, I was able to quickly turn that graphic off.

Reply
 
 
May 29, 2022 05:48:03   #
Ctrclckws
 
Yes, a bright idea from some designers. If they didn't push it down and turn it on, you may never know it existed.

They did something similar with a "People" app, and some kind of time and weather display.

Figuring out how to turn it off is not always easy, but at least they give you the option to do so.

Reply
May 29, 2022 07:05:17   #
bobmcculloch Loc: NYC, NY
 
theaverlo wrote:
To remove it, right-click on the task bar, click on 'Search', and then uncheck 'Show search highlights'. It was bugging me too until I discovered how to get rid of it.


Thanks, worked on WIN 10 too.

Reply
May 29, 2022 08:51:31   #
rdemarco52 Loc: Wantagh, NY
 
theaverlo wrote:
To remove it, right-click on the task bar, click on 'Search', and then uncheck 'Show search highlights'. It was bugging me too until I discovered how to get rid of it.


Thank you! It was a minor annoyance.

Reply
May 29, 2022 09:39:15   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
theaverlo wrote:
To remove it, right-click on the task bar, click on 'Search', and then uncheck 'Show search highlights'. It was bugging me too until I discovered how to get rid of it.


Thanks for that!!!

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.