Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Soft Shutter Release Button?
Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
May 12, 2022 16:18:14   #
RonDavis Loc: Chicago, IL
 
Hi all,
Generally, I do a little research before I post a question about photo equipment to the UHH forum. This is more like a survey, and apologies in advance if this topic seems mundane. So here goes: Does anyone use a soft (shutter) release button? This is that inexpensive accessory that screws into the shutter release button on most cameras. They look nice and personalized, but since they don’t fit flush to the camera body, and have a wee bit of wobble, they raise a concern. I’m curious if these buttons will or can cause any long term damage to the camera mechanism. (Full disclosure; I have one or two, but I’ve never used them since my “well trained” index finger is so familiar with the feel of my camera buttons already...no real need)

Reply
May 12, 2022 16:22:34   #
BebuLamar
 
First of all they fit most old film and manual focus cameras. Even a film AF camera doesn't have the shutter release button that would take a soft release. So they fit basically cameras made in the 80's or earlier. My Nikon Df does have a shutter release button that would take a soft release so yeah there are newer cameras that would take it but rare.
I never use one nor that I want one because I like the feel the shutter release of those old mechanical so much.

Reply
May 12, 2022 16:39:34   #
RonDavis Loc: Chicago, IL
 
BebuLamar wrote:
First of all they fit most old film and manual focus cameras. Even a film AF camera doesn't have the shutter release button that would take a soft release. So they fit basically cameras made in the 80's or earlier. My Nikon Df does have a shutter release button that would take a soft release so yeah there are newer cameras that would take it but rare.
I never use one nor that I want one because I like the feel the shutter release of those old mechanical so much.


Thanks Bebu....good to know, I also like the tactile feel of my buttons. But, this feature is available on all three of my relatively new (Fuji) mirrorless cameras. Back in the day, this feature was marketed as cable release buttons......now we also have remote release.

Reply
 
 
May 12, 2022 17:08:45   #
Cany143 Loc: SE Utah
 
RonDavis wrote:
Hi all,
Generally, I do a little research before I post a question about photo equipment to the UHH forum. This is more like a survey, and apologies in advance if this topic seems mundane. So here goes: Does anyone use a soft (shutter) release button? This is that inexpensive accessory that screws into the shutter release button on most cameras. They look nice and personalized, but since they don’t fit flush to the camera body, and have a wee bit of wobble, they raise a concern. I’m curious if these buttons will or can cause any long term damage to the camera mechanism. (Full disclosure; I have one or two, but I’ve never used them since my “well trained” index finger is so familiar with the feel of my camera buttons already...no real need)
Hi all, br Generally, I do a little research bef... (show quote)


Yep, I use one on my Fuji X-T3. Wouldn't say that it makes anything 'softer' as such, but it does make for an improved tactile touch.

Reply
May 12, 2022 17:20:32   #
RonDavis Loc: Chicago, IL
 
Cany143 wrote:
Yep, I use one on my Fuji X-T3. Wouldn't say that it makes anything 'softer' as such, but it does make for an improved tactile touch.


Thanks Cany....did you use these before you acquired the X-T3....which is relatively new?

Reply
May 12, 2022 17:30:08   #
Cany143 Loc: SE Utah
 
RonDavis wrote:
Thanks Cany....did you use these before you acquired the X-T3....which is relatively new?


Yes, I used one on my previous Fujis (an X-Pro1 and an X-T2), and the use on these was based on having used SRB's on 60's-90's F body (F, F2, F3, etc) film Nikons before Nikon changed the shape of their shutter release buttons to a more 'comfortable' button-like actuator on the F4, various of the N bodies, and whatever of the 'modern' D body Nikons I've used.

Reply
May 12, 2022 17:37:20   #
Cany143 Loc: SE Utah
 
Cany143 wrote:
Duplicate edited post deleted.

Reply
 
 
May 12, 2022 18:06:29   #
Retired CPO Loc: Travel full time in an RV
 
I'm interested in the answers to this question. I have diabetes which affects the nerves in my fingers and the "feeling" in my fingertips. I have noticed recently that I have to "search" with my trigger finger to find the shutter button and most recently I'm having to take my eye from the viewfinder to direct my finger to the shutter button. I can hardly wait for what's to come in my future! I was thinking about supergluing a sharp nub of some kind to the button, but this might be a better way??

Reply
May 12, 2022 18:11:12   #
User ID
 
I have always found them uncomfortable.
Tried both styles on many cameras over the years. The height feels wrong, and on many cameras they wobble. Seems like a textbook example of "a solution looking for a problem".

Reply
May 12, 2022 18:23:22   #
RonDavis Loc: Chicago, IL
 
Retired CPO wrote:
I'm interested in the answers to this question. I have diabetes which affects the nerves in my fingers and the "feeling" in my fingertips. I have noticed recently that I have to "search" with my trigger finger to find the shutter button and most recently I'm having to take my eye from the viewfinder to direct my finger to the shutter button. I can hardly wait for what's to come in my future! I was thinking about supergluing a sharp nub of some kind to the button, but this might be a better way??
I'm interested in the answers to this question. I ... (show quote)


CPO....thanks for your interest. If your camera has the cable release type shutter button, I think this would be a better solution than super-gluing anything on your camera. Good luck...
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=soft+release+button

Reply
May 12, 2022 21:51:43   #
Retired CPO Loc: Travel full time in an RV
 
RonDavis wrote:
CPO....thanks for your interest. If your camera has the cable release type shutter button, I think this would be a better solution than super-gluing anything on your camera. Good luck...
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=soft+release+button


No. I use a D850 and a D500 neither of which uses the cable release shutter button. But I think I will try to glue, maybe not super glue, one onto the top of the shutter button and see how it works! Thanks for the link!

Reply
 
 
May 12, 2022 22:09:32   #
RonDavis Loc: Chicago, IL
 
Retired CPO wrote:
No. I use a D850 and a D500 neither of which uses the cable release shutter button. But I think I will try to glue, maybe not super glue, one onto the top of the shutter button and see how it works! Thanks for the link!


CPO....those are two beautiful cameras (even though they don't have the conventional cable/shutter release buttons). I'd hate to see you ruin them with a jacked-up solution that'll spoil your shooting capabilities. So, be careful careful my friend....good luck to you and keep shooting.

Reply
May 12, 2022 22:41:52   #
RonDavis Loc: Chicago, IL
 
User ID wrote:
I have always found them uncomfortable.
Tried both styles on many cameras over the years. The height feels wrong, and on many cameras they wobble. Seems like a textbook example of "a solution looking for a problem".


Hey User ID.....I feel you. I reluctantly posed this question because I wanted to hear the pros and cons from other possible users of this simple accessory.
So far, it's a mixed response. I still have the concerns about wobbles and loose fit that may cause long term issues. I would guess the concern is legit. Thanks for your insight and stay tuned. Keep shooting

Reply
May 12, 2022 23:07:44   #
RonDavis Loc: Chicago, IL
 
Cany143 wrote:
Yes, I used one on my previous Fujis (an X-Pro1 and an X-T2), and the use on these was based on having used SRB's on 60's-90's F body (F, F2, F3, etc) film Nikons before Nikon changed the shape of their shutter release buttons to a more 'comfortable' button-like actuator on the F4, various of the N bodies, and whatever of the 'modern' D body Nikons I've used.


Thanks Cany....you're making me rethink of possibilities. Obviously you've never had any issues or fears with these buttons causing damage to the release mechanism (my fear)....and that's a good thing. I appreciate your response.....good luck and keep shooting

Reply
May 13, 2022 01:35:12   #
User ID
 
RonDavis wrote:
Hey User ID.....I feel you. I reluctantly posed this question because I wanted to hear the pros and cons from other possible users of this simple accessory.
So far, it's a mixed response. I still have the concerns about wobbles and loose fit that may cause long term issues. I would guess the concern is legit. Thanks for your insight and stay tuned. Keep shooting

The original version for F-Nikons etc made some sense, as those cameras (without the accessory) trigger when the button is depressed far enough to be level with the surrounding collar. Wearing gloves was tricky, same with numb dingers for lack of gloves. There was no wobble.

The other version (for most cameras) not only wobbled but usually just fell off. It was never a good design and I think it was just "coat tails" marketing based on the degree of success enjoyed by the original F-Nikon version. IOW just useless copy cat trash.

Reply
Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.