Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
What is the difference between the Nikon FYZ adapter and the FTZ2?
Jan 13, 2022 08:45:55   #
DaveyDitzer Loc: Western PA
 
I saw the advent of the "2" generation, but did not readily find what advantages it brings, if any.
Sorry about the typo FTZ

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 08:51:43   #
mwsilvers Loc: Central New Jersey
 
DaveyDitzer wrote:
I saw the advent of the "2" generation, but did not readily find what advantages it brings, if any.
Sorry about the typo FTZ


I believe it lacks the built in tripod mount which makes the new one a better fit and choice for some cameras and in some situations. There are probably also other technical improvements. However, I understand it lacks the motor of the previous model which allowed it to be used with very old Nikon glass.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 08:54:51   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
Nikon explains it clearly ...

Featuring a streamlined design with minimal projections, the Nikon FTZ II Mount Adapter offers the same functionality as the original FTZ but with a sleeker design to suit its use on cameras featuring a battery grip. This adapter removes the tripod mount and has a reduced overall size for more comfort when shooting with cameras with a built-in or attached grip or wireless transmitter.

From our buddy Ken Rockwell:

The FTZ and FTZ II are the same, except that the FTZ II has no tripod foot so it's easier to use with the Z9 and it's large grip. Otherwise these are the same adapters and I won't mention any more about one versus the other; they each work exactly the same as the other.

Reply
 
 
Jan 13, 2022 09:31:47   #
BebuLamar
 
Besides many said the original FTZ has to have the tripod socket because it needs room for the aperture control motor. The tripod socket really has no function. If the lens is heavy you don't want to mount it there either but rather with a tripod collar on the lens. If the lens isn't heavy it's better just to use the camera tripod socket.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 09:32:29   #
DaveyDitzer Loc: Western PA
 
Thank you both for the clarification. My oldest lenses are AF D and one old 55mm macro. I can test these for focus motor fit.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 09:33:21   #
BebuLamar
 
mwsilvers wrote:
I believe it lacks the built in tripod mount which makes the new one a better fit and choice for some cameras and in some situations. There are probably also other technical improvements. However, I understand it lacks the motor of the previous model which allowed it to be used with very old Nikon glass.


It doesn't lack any motor as compared to the FTZ. Neither has focus motor and both have aperture control motor.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 10:49:08   #
MT Shooter Loc: Montana
 
DaveyDitzer wrote:
I saw the advent of the "2" generation, but did not readily find what advantages it brings, if any.
Sorry about the typo FTZ


Literally nothing other than the lack of the tripod socket. Lots of internet "experts" claim the FTZ will not work on the new Z9 due to its larger battery compartment, but it works just fine as the pic of my FTZ on my Z9 clearly shows, plenty of clearance room.


(Download)

Reply
 
 
Jan 13, 2022 10:58:00   #
DaveyDitzer Loc: Western PA
 
OP: says thanks to all our you.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 12:11:17   #
mwsilvers Loc: Central New Jersey
 
BebuLamar wrote:
Besides many said the original FTZ has to have the tripod socket because it needs room for the aperture control motor. The tripod socket really has no function. If the lens is heavy you don't want to mount it there either but rather with a tripod collar on the lens. If the lens isn't heavy it's better just to use the camera tripod socket.



Reply
Jan 14, 2022 06:14:13   #
george19
 
DaveyDitzer wrote:
Thank you both for the clarification. My oldest lenses are AF D and one old 55mm macro. I can test these for focus motor fit.


My AF D lenses do NOT autofocus on a Z mount, to the point where, in a moment of GAS weakness, I bought a Z mount lens.

Reply
Jan 14, 2022 09:33:43   #
tcthome Loc: Keansburg , NJ
 
mwsilvers wrote:
I believe it lacks the built in tripod mount which makes the new one a better fit and choice for some cameras and in some situations. There are probably also other technical improvements. However, I understand it lacks the motor of the previous model which allowed it to be used with very old Nikon glass.


Exactly. You couldn't get to some of the buttons because of the tripod foot when using the Z9 in portrait/vertical position with the original/1st ftz adapter.

Reply
 
 
Jan 14, 2022 09:54:39   #
KenProspero
 
BebuLamar wrote:
Besides many said the original FTZ has to have the tripod socket because it needs room for the aperture control motor. The tripod socket really has no function. If the lens is heavy you don't want to mount it there either but rather with a tripod collar on the lens. If the lens isn't heavy it's better just to use the camera tripod socket.


I recently acquired an original FTZ, which I use with a Z-5. If I plan on using a tripod, I use an L-bracket on the body.

The FTZ adapter does not interfere with the L-Bracket -- so, other than a few grams of weight, it's a non-issue. However, this is a one-way street (meaning, I can use the L-Bracket with the FTZ attached, but if I want to use the FTZ tripod socket, I have to remove the L-Bracket).

My zoom lens, the Sigma 100-400, doesn't come with a collar. Because this lens is relatively light, I can safely use the L-Bracket, without damaging my equipment. However, I've found that when using a monopod, I get better overall balance using the Tripod-Socket on the FTZ than I do with the L-bracket.

So, in this situation, I'm finding the Tripod Socket on the FTZ to be useful for me.

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 15:41:29   #
Architect1776 Loc: In my mind
 
BebuLamar wrote:
It doesn't lack any motor as compared to the FTZ. Neither has focus motor and both have aperture control motor.



Reply
Jan 15, 2022 15:42:37   #
Architect1776 Loc: In my mind
 
MT Shooter wrote:
Literally nothing other than the lack of the tripod socket. Lots of internet "experts" claim the FTZ will not work on the new Z9 due to its larger battery compartment, but it works just fine as the pic of my FTZ on my Z9 clearly shows, plenty of clearance room.


Try gripping the grip.
Bet it does not work perfectly then.

Reply
Jan 16, 2022 00:44:51   #
User ID
 
DaveyDitzer wrote:
Thank you both for the clarification. My oldest lenses are AF D and one old 55mm macro. I can test these for focus motor fit.

Just look at the back plate of any AF lens. If it has the “screwdriver” slot you’ll hafta focus it manually on either adapter.

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.