Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Need some printing help
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
Jan 12, 2022 17:07:48   #
AzPicLady Loc: Behind the camera!
 
I have a Canon Pro-100 that I've had for several years. I've gotten really good prints from it. But now I notice two issues that are probably totally unrelated.

First: I usually print via the Windows print command from an explorer window. When I print a B&W in standard print mode (using colour), it turns out sepia (and I don't like sepia prints). If I tell it to print in B&W, it turns out with a blueish cast. Don't like that either. What I want is a true black and white. I did try printing from LR the other day and it was better. But I like printing from Windows better. It's a LOT easier and faster.

Second: I've noticed that a lot of the prints that I make and leave sitting on the dining room table or on the piano fade rather quickly. I don't notice the ones that are mounted, matted, and sleeved fading, but they are kept in a box. Now I'm hesitant and offering my printed images for sale. I don't want clients coming back in 6 months complaining their picture has faded! (And YES, I use Canon original inks!)

Any clues on resolving either of these issues would be appreciated.

Reply
Jan 12, 2022 17:24:33   #
Quixdraw Loc: American Free States - Montana
 
If you have the on screen manual, there are a sections on printing black and white and on adjusting tone of those monochromes. Unfortunately i couldn't add a screen capture. You can get it here Link https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART137898
I have a cork board full of prints in direct sun part of every day, Canon inks, and Canon or Costco paper, none have faded - all have been there for months, some more than a year.

Reply
Jan 12, 2022 17:55:57   #
AzPicLady Loc: Behind the camera!
 
Quixdraw wrote:
If you have the on screen manual, there are a sections on printing black and white and on adjusting tone of those monochromes. Unfortunately i couldn't add a screen capture. You can get it here Link https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART137898
I have a cork board full of prints in direct sun part of every day, Canon inks, and Canon or Costco paper, none have faded - all have been there for months, some more than a year.


I'm happy for you that your prints don't fade. Wish I could say the same. I'll try the manual again. Couldn't find the specific issue before.

Reply
 
 
Jan 12, 2022 20:07:55   #
Drbobcameraguy Loc: Eaton Ohio
 
Quixdraw wrote:
If you have the on screen manual, there are a sections on printing black and white and on adjusting tone of those monochromes. Unfortunately i couldn't add a screen capture. You can get it here Link https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART137898
I have a cork board full of prints in direct sun part of every day, Canon inks, and Canon or Costco paper, none have faded - all have been there for months, some more than a year.


We have the same but I had some old cheap paper and that paper faded fast. A few months maybe 5 at the most. My red River prints have not faded in over 2 years

Reply
Jan 12, 2022 21:01:09   #
AzPicLady Loc: Behind the camera!
 
Drbobcameraguy wrote:
We have the same but I had some old cheap paper and that paper faded fast. A few months maybe 5 at the most. My red River prints have not faded in over 2 years


I'm using Canon paper. I do have some Red River samples but no profiles. Thanks.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 06:48:21   #
Jrhoffman75 Loc: Conway, New Hampshire
 
AzPicLady wrote:
I'm using Canon paper. I do have some Red River samples but no profiles. Thanks.


If you go to the Red River site you can download ICC profiles for your printer.

If you right-click an image in Windows and select "Print" I don't think you get the Canon printer driver to open, so you wouldn't be able to select an ICC profile to use third-party papers.

Are you selecting the B&W check box in the printer driver when you print from photo software?





Reply
Jan 13, 2022 07:52:40   #
Mark Williams
 
Canon ink? Cheaper ink...????

Reply
 
 
Jan 13, 2022 09:02:55   #
yssirk123 Loc: New Jersey
 
I have and use a Pro100, and have no problems with color or longevity of prints. Instead of printing from Windows, you might wish to try using the Canon Print driver or Canon's free print software "Print Studio Pro". Alternatively, the printing program I've used for the last 10 years or so is Qimage which does a remarkably good job. An overall printing solution means using a color calibrated monitor, and print profiles for the paper you're using.

Hope this was helpful.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 09:10:48   #
AzPicLady Loc: Behind the camera!
 
Jrhoffman75 wrote:
If you go to the Red River site you can download ICC profiles for your printer.

If you right-click an image in Windows and select "Print" I don't think you get the Canon printer driver to open, so you wouldn't be able to select an ICC profile to use third-party papers.

Are you selecting the B&W check box in the printer driver when you print from photo software?


The Canon drivers do open. (I've never figured out how to use ICC profiles.) And it's when I select B&W that I get a blue print. If I don't, I get a sepia print.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 11:25:26   #
Picture Taker Loc: Michigan Thumb
 
Call Canon Tech Support (800)652-2666
They are great

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 12:18:40   #
rcarol
 
AzPicLady wrote:
I have a Canon Pro-100 that I've had for several years. I've gotten really good prints from it. But now I notice two issues that are probably totally unrelated.

First: I usually print via the Windows print command from an explorer window. When I print a B&W in standard print mode (using colour), it turns out sepia (and I don't like sepia prints). If I tell it to print in B&W, it turns out with a blueish cast. Don't like that either. What I want is a true black and white. I did try printing from LR the other day and it was better. But I like printing from Windows better. It's a LOT easier and faster.

Second: I've noticed that a lot of the prints that I make and leave sitting on the dining room table or on the piano fade rather quickly. I don't notice the ones that are mounted, matted, and sleeved fading, but they are kept in a box. Now I'm hesitant and offering my printed images for sale. I don't want clients coming back in 6 months complaining their picture has faded! (And YES, I use Canon original inks!)

Any clues on resolving either of these issues would be appreciated.
I have a Canon Pro-100 that I've had for several y... (show quote)


I’m sorry but I would be suspicious of the source of your ink supply. I have only ever used OEM Canon inks purchased from B&H in New York. I have framed and unframed prints that have been exposed to strong daylight for more than several years and they exhibit no sign of fading.

Reply
 
 
Jan 13, 2022 12:34:52   #
JFCoupe Loc: Kent, Washington
 
One note about downloading ICC profiles and using them to print from Lightroom is that you need to reboot LR to be able to see the new profile(s) in the print module.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 13:04:11   #
TonyBot
 
rcarol wrote:
I’m sorry but I would be suspicious of the source of your ink supply. I have only ever used OEM Canon inks purchased from B&H in New York. I have framed and unframed prints that have been exposed to strong daylight for more than several years and they exhibit no sign of fading.


B&H is a good source, but for the same price you can buy directly from Canon (frequently with a giveaway packet of paper):

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/pixma-pro-100-inks

But, if you mount and frame a print - even with a dye-type ink such as the Pro-100 - almost any glazing material will cut the UV exposure and hence the fading. UV blocking glass is best, but there are also UV blocking acrylics that are very good, and considered archival.

An unmounted print "laying around on the piano..." is exposed to all sorts of issues that will cause fading, wholly dependent on the environment.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 15:28:00   #
The Watcher
 
Mark Williams wrote:
Canon ink? Cheaper ink...????


The OP told us in his opening statement that he uses OEM ink.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 17:54:00   #
AzPicLady Loc: Behind the camera!
 
Picture Taker wrote:
Call Canon Tech Support (800)652-2666
They are great


You know, I've always been really pleased with Canon's support. But lately, they've let me down - A LOT! But I'll try them. Thanks.

Reply
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.