Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Post-Processing Digital Images
Making a colorful flower picture.
Dec 19, 2021 20:01:15   #
Jim-Pops Loc: Granbury, Texas
 
This picture started out not having a whole lot in focus. Wanted to see if I could make something out of it.
1) I started out making a duplicate layer.
2)Made a mask for the primary white and red blossom on this duplicate layer.
3)Next I copied the mask, Command V. Now marching ants were indicating the area. Went to Select>Modify>Expand>Expand by 10 pexels. Made sure my base layer was highlighted. Went to Edit>Fill>Content-Aware. Now to blur this background, Filter>Blur>Gauissian Blur> set to a high number till I was satisfied.
4) I felt the red blossom was fighting with the White one. Duplicated the second layer that has the mask. Selected the white flower with the quick selection tool. While the marching ants indicated I had all the white flower I moved over to the mask and filled the area with black on the mask.
5) I made a group layer, clicking the file folder at the bottom of the right panel. Put my red flower layer I previously made inside the group. Just Click the red flower and drag it on to of the Group 1 layer. It automatically puts it inside the group.
6) Make sure you have the red flower highlighted inside Group 1. Now add an Exposure layer. You can find it when you click the half circle at the bottom of the right panel. Move the slider to the left and marked the red flower. I wanted to make the flower fade to dark. To do this I added a white to black diagonal gradient in the white Exposure's white box. I clipped this exposure box to the red flower. Didn't want to darken the whole corner just the red flower. To do that I held my Option key Alt on a PC and dragged my curser on the separating line between the exposure layer and the red flower layer. As you do a down arrow becomes visible then click.
I did a few other minor adjustments but the above describes the main steps.

Let me know if any of this was interesting to you.

Final
Final...
(Download)

Started with this
Started with this...
(Download)

Reply
Dec 19, 2021 22:03:00   #
Curmudgeon Loc: SE Arizona
 
Wonderful Jim. I just don't have the skill or patience to do something like that

Reply
Dec 19, 2021 22:09:11   #
Jim-Pops Loc: Granbury, Texas
 
Curmudgeon wrote:
Wonderful Jim. I just don't have the skill or patience to do something like that


Thanks Jack.
I just sit back on my recliner with my laptop and play around. Usually I get zoned in while time just flies by. Great being retired.😊

Reply
 
 
Dec 19, 2021 22:18:30   #
Curmudgeon Loc: SE Arizona
 
Jim-Pops wrote:
Thanks Jack.
I just sit back on my recliner with my laptop and play around. Usually I get zoned in while time just flies by. Great being retired.😊


Retired: Ain't that the truth

Reply
Dec 20, 2021 08:32:04   #
NJFrank Loc: New Jersey
 
Very nice results. No question on which flower to focus on. The steps you took to get your final results, was it from something you saw or read?

Reply
Dec 20, 2021 09:55:13   #
Jim-Pops Loc: Granbury, Texas
 
NJFrank wrote:
Very nice results. No question on which flower to focus on. The steps you took to get your final results, was it from something you saw or read?


I came up with this on my own. The steps taken are my own. I'm sure there are several ways to the same end, Photoshop is like that.😊

Reply
Dec 20, 2021 09:59:59   #
AzPicLady Loc: Behind the camera!
 
You made a lovely image!

Reply
 
 
Dec 20, 2021 10:10:04   #
Jim-Pops Loc: Granbury, Texas
 
AzPicLady wrote:
You made a lovely image!


Thank you.
From a distance I think it's nice. Close up not to sure what I think because of the minimal focus areas. 🤔

Reply
Dec 20, 2021 10:38:21   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
Very well done and quite educational.

Reply
Dec 20, 2021 13:35:11   #
srg
 
Jim-Pops wrote:
This picture started out not having a whole lot in focus. Wanted to see if I could make something out of it.
1) I started out making a duplicate layer.
2)Made a mask for the primary white and red blossom on this duplicate layer.
3)Next I copied the mask, Command V. Now marching ants were indicating the area. Went to Select>Modify>Expand>Expand by 10 pexels. Made sure my base layer was highlighted. Went to Edit>Fill>Content-Aware. Now to blur this background, Filter>Blur>Gauissian Blur> set to a high number till I was satisfied.
4) I felt the red blossom was fighting with the White one. Duplicated the second layer that has the mask. Selected the white flower with the quick selection tool. While the marching ants indicated I had all the white flower I moved over to the mask and filled the area with black on the mask.
5) I made a group layer, clicking the file folder at the bottom of the right panel. Put my red flower layer I previously made inside the group. Just Click the red flower and drag it on to of the Group 1 layer. It automatically puts it inside the group.
6) Make sure you have the red flower highlighted inside Group 1. Now add an Exposure layer. You can find it when you click the half circle at the bottom of the right panel. Move the slider to the left and marked the red flower. I wanted to make the flower fade to dark. To do this I added a white to black diagonal gradient in the white Exposure's white box. I clipped this exposure box to the red flower. Didn't want to darken the whole corner just the red flower. To do that I held my Option key Alt on a PC and dragged my curser on the separating line between the exposure layer and the red flower layer. As you do a down arrow becomes visible then click.
I did a few other minor adjustments but the above describes the main steps.

Let me know if any of this was interesting to you.
This picture started out not having a whole lot in... (show quote)


Yes. Very interesting.

Reply
Dec 20, 2021 16:23:06   #
joecichjr Loc: Chicago S. Suburbs, Illinois, USA
 
Jim-Pops wrote:
This picture started out not having a whole lot in focus. Wanted to see if I could make something out of it.
1) I started out making a duplicate layer.
2)Made a mask for the primary white and red blossom on this duplicate layer.
3)Next I copied the mask, Command V. Now marching ants were indicating the area. Went to Select>Modify>Expand>Expand by 10 pexels. Made sure my base layer was highlighted. Went to Edit>Fill>Content-Aware. Now to blur this background, Filter>Blur>Gauissian Blur> set to a high number till I was satisfied.
4) I felt the red blossom was fighting with the White one. Duplicated the second layer that has the mask. Selected the white flower with the quick selection tool. While the marching ants indicated I had all the white flower I moved over to the mask and filled the area with black on the mask.
5) I made a group layer, clicking the file folder at the bottom of the right panel. Put my red flower layer I previously made inside the group. Just Click the red flower and drag it on to of the Group 1 layer. It automatically puts it inside the group.
6) Make sure you have the red flower highlighted inside Group 1. Now add an Exposure layer. You can find it when you click the half circle at the bottom of the right panel. Move the slider to the left and marked the red flower. I wanted to make the flower fade to dark. To do this I added a white to black diagonal gradient in the white Exposure's white box. I clipped this exposure box to the red flower. Didn't want to darken the whole corner just the red flower. To do that I held my Option key Alt on a PC and dragged my curser on the separating line between the exposure layer and the red flower layer. As you do a down arrow becomes visible then click.
I did a few other minor adjustments but the above describes the main steps.

Let me know if any of this was interesting to you.
This picture started out not having a whole lot in... (show quote)


A fabulous result 💞❤️💛❤️💞

Reply
 
 
Dec 21, 2021 09:16:38   #
Jim-Pops Loc: Granbury, Texas
 
sippyjug104 wrote:
Very well done and quite educational.


Thank you Sippy. I hope it helps people understand the value of layers a little better.

Reply
Dec 21, 2021 09:18:07   #
Jim-Pops Loc: Granbury, Texas
 
srg wrote:
Yes. Very interesting.


I hope it gives you another way to get the results you might want.

Reply
Dec 21, 2021 09:18:25   #
Jim-Pops Loc: Granbury, Texas
 
joecichjr wrote:
A fabulous result 💞❤️💛❤️💞


Thanks so much Joe.😊

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Post-Processing Digital Images
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.