Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Photo Analysis
Just a Streak
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
Dec 2, 2021 19:11:19   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
A SpaceX Falcon 9 launch this evening at 1812 eastern time from Cape Canaveral. Shot was taken from 42 miles away across the Indian River Estuary. My RX-10 was set on bulb and shutter triggered with a remote release. 24mm (35mm eqiv) ISO 100/F-9/125 sec exposure...What's interesting and my question is why is there a dividing line in the rocket reflection on the water? I would have thought the entire water would have been lit up. Any idea of what I did, if any that would have caused this? A Camera issue? Operator error? I understand focus could be a little better.

Comments, positive and negative critique are welcome. There are a few more night launches in the next week or so, so I'll have another opportunity to get a little more practice.....Cheers Everyone...


(Download)

Reply
Dec 2, 2021 20:17:10   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
Nicely done, Blaster. I'm betting it's something on the ground, higher knoll, etc. that is obstructing the light.
--Bob
Blaster34 wrote:
A SpaceX Falcon 9 launch this evening at 1812 eastern time from Cape Canaveral. Shot was taken from 42 miles away across the Indian River Estuary. My RX-10 was set on bulb and shutter triggered with a remote release. 24mm (35mm eqiv) ISO 100/F-9/125 sec exposure...What's interesting and my question is why is there a dividing line in the rocket reflection on the water? I would have thought the entire water would have been lit up. Any idea of what I did, if any that would have caused this? A Camera issue? Operator error? I understand focus could be a little better.

Comments, positive and negative critique are welcome. There are a few more night launches in the next week or so, so I'll have another opportunity to get a little more practice.....Cheers Everyone...
A SpaceX Falcon 9 launch this evening at 1812 east... (show quote)

Reply
Dec 2, 2021 20:46:20   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
rmalarz wrote:
Nicely done, Blaster. I'm betting it's something on the ground, higher knoll, etc. that is obstructing the light.
--Bob


Thanks Bob, most appreciated.....as for the shadow, its water with a few low-lying spoil islands all the way to the cape with really nothing of altitude between the rocket and me especially once the rocket reaches an altitude of a couple hundred feet...Well, I'll have another chance Sunday morning when an Atlas V is scheduled to launch just hoping for good weather....Cheers

Reply
 
 
Dec 2, 2021 21:19:01   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
I'm looking forward to your posting that launch photograph.
--Bob
Blaster34 wrote:
Thanks Bob, most appreciated.....as for the shadow, its water with a few low-lying spoil islands all the way to the cape with really nothing of altitude between the rocket and me especially once the rocket reaches an altitude of a couple hundred feet...Well, I'll have another chance Sunday morning when an Atlas V is scheduled to launch just hoping for good weather....Cheers

Reply
Dec 2, 2021 21:48:09   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
rmalarz wrote:
I'm looking forward to your posting that launch photograph.
--Bob


I'll give it a whirl....90% of all launches are usually postponed for weather, hopefully it'll be good for that launch. Good thing is I'm not that far away so i can always adjust and not have to travel too far.

Reply
Dec 2, 2021 22:22:22   #
NMGal Loc: NE NM
 
Very nice photo. The different colors in the trajectory are fascinating.

Reply
Dec 3, 2021 05:41:04   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
NMGal wrote:
Very nice photo. The different colors in the trajectory are fascinating.


Thank you NMGal....glad you enjoyed it

Reply
 
 
Dec 3, 2021 06:34:05   #
selmslie Loc: Fernandina Beach, FL, USA
 
rmalarz wrote:
Nicely done, Blaster. I'm betting it's something on the ground, higher knoll, etc. that is obstructing the light.
--Bob

That sounds right. The light on the water probably lasted for only a few seconds at the start of the launch when it was at its brightest. It wasn’t bright enough for the remainder of the exposure to fill in the shadow.

Reply
Dec 3, 2021 06:59:31   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
selmslie wrote:
That sounds right. The light on the water probably lasted for only a few seconds at the start of the launch when it was at its brightest. It wasn’t bright enough for the remainder of the exposure to fill in the shadow.


Good point as when the engines actually started, they're extremely bright maybe blocked by the few trees or spoil islands in between. There's no way to see the rocket or even the Cape from 42 miles and the first indication of launch is the bright explosion of light and then it dissipates as the rocket lifts. There is another night Falcon launch in a week or so, I'll try it again from the same spot...Cheers

Thanks Scotty

Reply
Dec 3, 2021 07:13:18   #
goldstar46 Loc: Tampa, Fl
 
Blaster34 wrote:
A SpaceX Falcon 9 launch this evening at 1812 eastern time from Cape Canaveral. Shot was taken from 42 miles away across the Indian River Estuary. My RX-10 was set on bulb and shutter triggered with a remote release. 24mm (35mm eqiv) ISO 100/F-9/125 sec exposure...What's interesting and my question is why is there a dividing line in the rocket reflection on the water? I would have thought the entire water would have been lit up. Any idea of what I did, if any that would have caused this? A Camera issue? Operator error? I understand focus could be a little better.

Comments, positive and negative critique are welcome. There are a few more night launches in the next week or so, so I'll have another opportunity to get a little more practice.....Cheers Everyone...
A SpaceX Falcon 9 launch this evening at 1812 east... (show quote)

================================================================

Blaster ...

You might wish to visit and read the below article regarding Space X

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/business/spacex-falcon-heavy-launch-faa-air-traffic/

I am sure that your distance of 42 miles, copled with the 'ange' of the shot will have an effect of 'other' aircraft which is found in the area, near/and or around the exact launch time..

In my humble opinion, as someone who used to work at Kennedy Space Center a million years ago, what is being seen is a condensation Trail oh, from a commercial aircraft many, many miles away but at a much more diapers angle.


Cheers
George Veazey
####

Reply
Dec 3, 2021 07:49:06   #
AlanW Loc: Upstate NY
 
Blaster34 wrote:
A SpaceX Falcon 9 launch this evening at 1812 eastern time from Cape Canaveral. Shot was taken from 42 miles away across the Indian River Estuary. My RX-10 was set on bulb and shutter triggered with a remote release. 24mm (35mm eqiv) ISO 100/F-9/125 sec exposure...What's interesting and my question is why is there a dividing line in the rocket reflection on the water? I would have thought the entire water would have been lit up. Any idea of what I did, if any that would have caused this? A Camera issue? Operator error? I understand focus could be a little better.

Comments, positive and negative critique are welcome. There are a few more night launches in the next week or so, so I'll have another opportunity to get a little more practice.....Cheers Everyone...
A SpaceX Falcon 9 launch this evening at 1812 east... (show quote)


I think this is what you should expect. The rocket went up to the right so it spread the reflection to the right. There is nothing in the left side of the sky to reflect in the left side water. Great shot btw...especially from 42 miles away!

Alan

Reply
 
 
Dec 3, 2021 09:21:07   #
Jimmy T Loc: Virginia
 
Blaster34 wrote:
A SpaceX Falcon 9 launch this evening at 1812 eastern time from Cape Canaveral. Shot was taken from 42 miles away across the Indian River Estuary. My RX-10 was set on bulb and shutter triggered with a remote release. 24mm (35mm eqiv) ISO 100/F-9/125 sec exposure...What's interesting and my question is why is there a dividing line in the rocket reflection on the water? I would have thought the entire water would have been lit up. Any idea of what I did, if any that would have caused this? A Camera issue? Operator error? I understand focus could be a little better.

Comments, positive and negative critique are welcome. There are a few more night launches in the next week or so, so I'll have another opportunity to get a little more practice.....Cheers Everyone...
A SpaceX Falcon 9 launch this evening at 1812 east... (show quote)


. . . Would this crop help?
It seems to me that the streak originates from the left and intersects the rocket's (vertical) trail.
Great shot by the way.
Smile,
JimmyT Sends
Bravo Zulu


(Download)

Reply
Dec 3, 2021 09:24:21   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
goldstar46 wrote:
================================================================

Blaster ...

You might wish to visit and read the below article regarding Space X

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/business/spacex-falcon-heavy-launch-faa-air-traffic/

I am sure that your distance of 42 miles, copled with the 'ange' of the shot will have an effect of 'other' aircraft which is found in the area, near/and or around the exact launch time..

In my humble opinion, as someone who used to work at Kennedy Space Center a million years ago, what is being seen is a condensation Trail oh, from a commercial aircraft many, many miles away but at a much more diapers angle.


Cheers
George Veazey
####
==================================================... (show quote)


Thanks George a great article and I’m looking forward to next year’s launch of the falcon heavy again, not to mention a ULA heavy also going up next year also…they just have to work together…and from a Florida resident, we definitely don’t want to made the greenback eating rodent mad by delaying flights to Disney World...😁. Cheers and thanks again for the interesting article

Reply
Dec 3, 2021 09:26:04   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
AlanW wrote:
I think this is what you should expect. The rocket went up to the right so it spread the reflection to the right. There is nothing in the left side of the sky to reflect in the left side water. Great shot btw...especially from 42 miles away!

Alan


Thanks Alan for looking and the comment, that’s most likely the issue

Reply
Dec 3, 2021 09:28:10   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
Jimmy T wrote:
. . . Would this crop help?
It seems to me that the streak originates from the left and intersects the rocket's (vertical) trail.
Great shot by the way.
Smile,
JimmyT Sends
Bravo Zulu


Thanks Jimmy, yes it does….cheers

Reply
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Photo Analysis
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.