Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Links and Resources
A buck a frame if you shoot film?
Page 1 of 2 next>
Oct 14, 2021 09:17:15   #
therwol Loc: USA
 
I will provide a link in a second post so this doesn't get moved to the Links and Resources section. (Always happens if you include a link in your initial post.)

Reply
Oct 14, 2021 09:19:13   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
That's my own cost estimate as well, independent of your pending linked discusion.

Reply
Oct 14, 2021 09:23:50   #
therwol Loc: USA
 
therwol wrote:
I will provide a link in a second post so this doesn't get moved to the Links and Resources section. (Always happens if you include a link in your initial post.)


The author figures that shooting 35mm film is costing him a buck a frame. If prices keep skyrocketing, that could be the end of it.

https://fstoppers.com/film/how-film-manufacturers-are-making-sure-it-doesnt-make-comeback-582344

Before there were camcorders, there was Super 8 movie film. The last of it had a sound stripe that was recorded in the camera. I always thought that the picture quality was superior to the early VHS camcorders, which admittedly had some advantages that are the same as with digital pictures over film. Instant gratification. Limitless "filming" for very little cost. I held out until the film plus processing hit 20 bucks for a 2 1/2 minute roll of Super 8 sound film. Then it disappeared. Will this happen to 35mm film? Perhaps it won't happen as suddenly, here today and gone tomorrow, but I see that it could happen.

Reply
 
 
Oct 14, 2021 09:33:43   #
BebuLamar
 
That's about what it cost me for shooting 35mm slides. I remember that what it cost me back in the 80's and 90's shooting Polaroid.

Reply
Oct 14, 2021 10:10:57   #
TriX Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
If you process your own film (easy) and scan, you can reduce that cost substantially. I haven’t calculated the cost of chemicals/roll for B&W, but if you do multiple rolls simultaneously (I have 1,2 and 4roll tanks), I’d be surprised if it was over a dollar/roll. Color is obviously more. I will certainly agree that the cost of film has gone up dramatically. If you buy in 50 or 100’ rolls and load your own cartridges,you can cut that cost substantially as well. It all depends on how committed you are to the process. But if you buy by the cartridge and pay to have it developed, I’d guess a dollar a frame is about right. It causes you to think carefully about every shot you expose, rather than “spray and pray”

Reply
Oct 14, 2021 10:18:37   #
olemikey Loc: 6 mile creek, Spacecoast Florida
 
I don't (well rarely now) shoot much film these days.....I am not of the "spray and pray" mentality, plan my shots: however, being a retired man who enjoys some hobbies including photography - (nothing fancy or pricey or overthought for this example) if you bought a digital camera, a computer just for PP and a printer (and recording media, etc.) for say $2,500 total......

Shot/Post Processed/Printed 500 pics a year (random number) for 5 yrs. you'd be spending $1.00 per print. Of course, you can change the numbers to fit your situation, but there is cost to everything, and hobbies are the hardest to justify to those who don't.....

Point being, if shooting film provides you with happiness and a finished product you enjoy....it is worthwhile to you, perhaps even priceless. To each their own, enjoy what you can and don't worry over the small stuff, be glad you've made it this far in life.

If you shoot to make money, different game/different rules.

Enjoy living, enjoy your hobbies, and keep on keepin on!

Reply
Oct 14, 2021 10:40:44   #
burkphoto Loc: High Point, NC
 
therwol wrote:
The author figures that shooting 35mm film is costing him a buck a frame. If prices keep skyrocketing, that could be the end of it.

https://fstoppers.com/film/how-film-manufacturers-are-making-sure-it-doesnt-make-comeback-582344

Before there were camcorders, there was Super 8 movie film. The last of it had a sound stripe that was recorded in the camera. I always thought that the picture quality was superior to the early VHS camcorders, which admittedly had some advantages that are the same as with digital pictures over film. Instant gratification. Limitless "filming" for very little cost. I held out until the film plus processing hit 20 bucks for a 2 1/2 minute roll of Super 8 sound film. Then it disappeared. Will this happen to 35mm film? Perhaps it won't happen as suddenly, here today and gone tomorrow, but I see that it could happen.
The author figures that shooting 35mm film is cost... (show quote)


Cost is getting up there, certainly, but the reason for digital imaging's appeal is that you can share image files instantly, print them 30 ways from Sunday, and make infinite changes to raw data with no losses.

Film cameras are reasonably priced on the used market. The marginal cost of film photography is incurred when you buy film and processing (and printing and/or scanning).

The marginal cost of digital imaging is [mostly] only there if you print. But the equipment cost (for camera, lenses, memory cards, computer, software, Internet connection, monitor, calibration kit, digital printer, etc.) is higher up front. This is partially offset by the fact that a computer and a smartphone are multi-purpose tools. A film camera does one thing, but a digital camera records video and stills.

Reply
 
 
Oct 14, 2021 12:02:32   #
Retired CPO Loc: Travel full time in an RV
 
When I was shooting medium format (6x4.5 cm) film I was spending more than that per shot considering film and processing and shipping cost. And I was well aware of it with each shot I took! And then the turn around time with each roll of film was there too. I'll go with digital, even though the get up and running costs are greater. And the rejects cost nothing.

Reply
Oct 14, 2021 12:44:08   #
JD750 Loc: SoCal
 
Costs are higher now because of world wide supply shortages. Film may come down in cost as the shortages ease up, TBD, or the rampant inflation we are experiencing in the US may offset lower costs as supply returns.

However film has always been more expensive than digital. That’s why people who shoot film generally think more about the image before pressing the shutter button.

Some people feel that the additional thinking before shooting film, results in a higher keeper rate. It works that way for me. (You can apply this same thinking to digital but few do that).

If you have a spray and pray style of shooting then digital is certainly cheaper, and probably better for you than film.

One more thing, given inflation, a dollar is considerably deflated now compared to what its was value back in the film days.

Reply
Oct 14, 2021 12:47:29   #
therwol Loc: USA
 
olemikey wrote:

Point being, if shooting film provides you with happiness and a finished product you enjoy....it is worthwhile to you, perhaps even priceless. To each their own, enjoy what you can and don't worry over the small stuff, be glad you've made it this far in life.


I completely agree with that. The potential problem is that the increasing cost of shooting film will result in fewer and fewer people doing it, and in the end, the companies who manufacture film will stop selling it, or they may sell it as a low volume, very high priced product. Then what? This is exactly what happened to me with Sound Super 8 film, which I loved. The price skyrocketed. Then they pulled it.

Reply
Oct 14, 2021 13:02:11   #
burkphoto Loc: High Point, NC
 
therwol wrote:
I completely agree with that. The potential problem is that the increasing cost of shooting film will result in fewer and fewer people doing it, and in the end, the companies who manufacture film will stop selling it, or they may sell it as a low volume, very high priced product. Then what? This is exactly what happened to me with Sound Super 8 film, which I loved. The price skyrocketed. Then they pulled it.


I had Super 8, 3/4-U, Betamax, VHS, Hi-8, Digital 8, and Mini-DV, and I say good riddance to them all. They were good for what they were, but all pale before 4K video from today’s equipment. Time and tech march on.

Reply
 
 
Oct 14, 2021 13:55:48   #
olemikey Loc: 6 mile creek, Spacecoast Florida
 
burkphoto wrote:
I had Super 8, 3/4-U, Betamax, VHS, Hi-8, Digital 8, and Mini-DV, and I say good riddance to them all. They were good for what they were, but all pale before 4K video from today’s equipment. Time and tech march on.


Yes there is a hella-difference, agree completely. I still have some of that media that I haven't looked at in years...guess I should see about conversion to digital for the 8mm/Super 8, VHS and Hi-8 stuff with family and friends on it (before my equipment expires). I enjoyed film....still not sure I actually miss it though. Since I'm old school and plan each shot...and print what suits me....digital is way better for me now...for those who enjoy film and the chemistry, do just that, enjoy it and don't look back......... I am waiting for the Holodeck, maybe someday!!!!

Reply
Oct 14, 2021 14:02:33   #
therwol Loc: USA
 
burkphoto wrote:
I had Super 8, 3/4-U, Betamax, VHS, Hi-8, Digital 8, and Mini-DV, and I say good riddance to them all. They were good for what they were, but all pale before 4K video from today’s equipment. Time and tech march on.


Yes, tech moves on. The question is how this will affect film photographers. The price of film and processing is spiraling upward. The choices in film pale in comparison with the days before digital. You could argue that film can produce an image that rivals digital, but what if people stop using it? Then you have no choice but to give it up. Your Nikon F(x), and a whole long list of excellent film cameras will just become mantle pieces.

Reply
Oct 15, 2021 00:12:11   #
burkphoto Loc: High Point, NC
 
therwol wrote:
Yes, tech moves on. The question is how this will affect film photographers. The price of film and processing is spiraling upward. The choices in film pale in comparison with the days before digital. You could argue that film can produce an image that rivals digital, but what if people stop using it? Then you have no choice but to give it up. Your Nikon F(x), and a whole long list of excellent film cameras will just become mantle pieces.


Become? Mine are already in a glass case.

Reply
Oct 15, 2021 10:25:39   #
sgt hop
 
burkphoto wrote:
Become? Mine are already in a glass case.


mine also........

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Links and Resources
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.