Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Printer reliability
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
Oct 12, 2021 14:16:19   #
gitano48 Loc: Houston
 
From personal experience can any of the many astute Hedgehoggers recommend a good quality color printer that doesn’t break the bank (under $300) with good fidelity and is reliable?
I’m very frustrated with what I’m using now: a Canon iP1800 that has satisfactory color rendition but with feeder problems (4x6 in particular), and an HP Envy 7858 that prints over-saturated colors with extreme contrast….no matter how I try to manipulate hue intensity and saturation. Flesh tones are terrible. The HP is relatively new but I’m not happy with either one.
I appreciate any suggestions offered.

Reply
Oct 12, 2021 15:23:46   #
ChuckMc Loc: Prescott, AZ
 
I'm curious to hear the answers to your question, because I don't print my pictures. It may help to define your question if you say how you use your printed pictures, i. E., what level of quality you need.
Chuck

Reply
Oct 12, 2021 15:52:21   #
RichinSeattle
 
I abandoned HP years ago and have since used only Epson printers, with which I've always been happy. There are several models to choose from, and occasionally you can find a refurbished one on Epson's website, or eBay.

Reply
 
 
Oct 12, 2021 16:02:43   #
gitano48 Loc: Houston
 
ChuckMc wrote:
I'm curious to hear the answers to your question, because I don't print my pictures. It may help to define your question if you say how you use your printed pictures, i. E., what level of quality you need.
Chuck


I do some freelance work and often provide selected complementary prints in addition to the digital files.
The level of quality that I need (want) is reasonably high; depending of course on the quality of the printer and my expectations from that printer. True colors are key, flesh tones in particular. The Canon I mentioned in my query (not a top-of-the-line machine) was quite satisfactory in that regard but now it has feeder problems. How these simple things fail, I don’t understand.

Reply
Oct 12, 2021 16:18:45   #
gitano48 Loc: Houston
 
RichinSeattle wrote:
I abandoned HP years ago and have since used only Epson printers, with which I've always been happy. There are several models to choose from, and occasionally you can find a refurbished one on Epson's website, or eBay.


Thank you for your response, Rich.
I did a little research this morning and looked at the Epson ET2760 which has favorable reviews. A little more than $300 new. Brief specs say nothing about an SD card slot which HP has.

Reply
Oct 12, 2021 16:25:47   #
bsprague Loc: Lacey, WA, USA
 
I have tank printers on my radar for "the next one". Since I print photos, it needs more than the typical three colors. That puts the "Canon PIXMA G620 Wireless MegaTank Photo All-in-One Printer" at $300 high on my list. It is far from a high end photo printer so is probably full of plastic parts. It does get good reviews.

Reply
Oct 13, 2021 06:10:57   #
DAN Phillips Loc: Graysville, GA
 
Please look at HP printers. Excellent quality and their ink program is beyond compare. I have used them for years and never looked back. You will be pleasantly surprise, I promise.

Reply
 
 
Oct 13, 2021 06:41:10   #
LLC Loc: Ontario, Canada
 
gitano48 wrote:
From personal experience can any of the many astute Hedgehoggers recommend a good quality color printer that doesn’t break the bank (under $300) with good fidelity and is reliable?
I’m very frustrated with what I’m using now: a Canon iP1800 that has satisfactory color rendition but with feeder problems (4x6 in particular), and an HP Envy 7858 that prints over-saturated colors with extreme contrast….no matter how I try to manipulate hue intensity and saturation. Flesh tones are terrible. The HP is relatively new but I’m not happy with either one.
I appreciate any suggestions offered.
From personal experience can any of the many astut... (show quote)


Did you try to load printer color management profiles? I think you should get then on CD that came with the printer.

Here is example from "Devices and Printers" screen:



Reply
Oct 13, 2021 07:51:23   #
AGO
 
RichinSeattle wrote:
I abandoned HP years ago and have since used only Epson printers, with which I've always been happy. There are several models to choose from, and occasionally you can find a refurbished one on Epson's website, or eBay.


I have come to the conclusion that there aren't any reliable printers under $300. I also abandoned HP years ago after having two of them fail right after the warranty expiration. I switched to a Canon and was very happy with it. Unfortunately, it was damaged in a move and I was not able to replace it with a similar model. I now have an Epson that I am very unhappy with. I have had numerous problems with it from Day One and Epson's tech support has been less helpful. They also would not honor their warranty.

Reply
Oct 13, 2021 08:02:23   #
sodapop Loc: Belcamp, MD
 
I have used many HP printers and think that they are great for general document printing. For printing photos, however, I think that Epson printers are far superior and reliable

Reply
Oct 13, 2021 08:31:27   #
coolhanduke Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
 
I have been through many printers over the years. All of them Epson which I found reliable with good quality. Not sure you can find what you are looking for for $300.
If you find a refurbished printer you may be able to find a better printer at that price. However I would caution buying any used printer. Insist on a current nozzle check.
Last but not least, do you really have a need to print your own prints? Considering the cost of inks and the fact that the lifespan of cheap printers isn’t very long, consider sending to a lab on-line.
Remember that to keep your printer from getting clogged heads you need to keep it running a lot or do nozzle checks and head cleanings which suck up a lot of inks.

Reply
 
 
Oct 13, 2021 08:48:48   #
burkphoto Loc: High Point, NC
 
Have you been to the printing forum on UHH? https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/s-120-1.html

Look for a printer that has ink TANKS, not cartridges!

You will pay dearly for ink if you buy it in little cartridges.

These look promising: EPSON ET-8500 and ET-8550.

Whatever you buy, know that results depend almost entirely on monitor calibration and using the correct ICC PROFILES for your monitor, printer, ink, and paper combination.

A lack of understanding color management from camera to paper is the #1 reason photographers blame a printer for bad color. The old phrase, RTFM (Read The *Fine* Manual) applies, except you have several manuals to devour thoroughly!

Reply
Oct 13, 2021 08:54:54   #
gvarner Loc: Central Oregon Coast
 
I like my Epson 440 4-in-1. It was cheap but prints really slow. Decent quality for me but I don’t print much. 4 cartridges.

Reply
Oct 13, 2021 09:02:02   #
Bayou
 
coolhanduke wrote:
....Not sure you can find what you are looking for for $300....do you really have a need to print your own prints? Considering the cost of inks and the fact that the lifespan of cheap printers isn’t very long, consider sending to a lab on-line....



Reply
Oct 13, 2021 09:37:57   #
bsprague Loc: Lacey, WA, USA
 
burkphoto wrote:
Have you been to the printing forum on UHH? https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/s-120-1.html

Look for a printer that has ink TANKS, not cartridges!

You will pay dearly for ink if you buy it in little cartridges.

These look promising: EPSON ET-8500 and ET-8550.

Whatever you buy, know that results depend almost entirely on monitor calibration and using the correct ICC PROFILES for your monitor, printer, ink, and paper combination.

A lack of understanding color management from camera to paper is the #1 reason photographers blame a printer for bad color. The old phrase, RTFM (Read The *Fine* Manual) applies, except you have several manuals to devour thoroughly!
Have you been to the printing forum on UHH? https... (show quote)


The EPSON ET-8500 and ET-8550 are significantly higher than the OP's target price!

Reply
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.