Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Does Anyone (reputable) Sell an Optical Viewfinder for iPhone 12 Pro Max?
Sep 14, 2021 15:08:09   #
stevefrankel
 
I'd like to sell my Sony RX100 VA that I use as a backup camera for my Sony RX10-IV (like-new thanks to the pandemic) and use my iPhone 12 Pro Max as my backup camera. I shoot a lot on ships and on Los Angeles beaches so an optical viewfinder that can frame the field of view on my iPhone is nearly essential. Does anyone have any experience with devices that can do this? A link and the cost of the setup would also be appreciated.

Reply
Sep 14, 2021 15:53:25   #
juan_uy Loc: Uruguay
 
Not sure if such product exists.
But as a cheap (not that good) alternative if nothing appears, you could look into something similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/TFY-Universal-Phone-Shield-iPhone/dp/B01DNRA35S

Reply
Sep 15, 2021 07:40:40   #
sb Loc: Florida's East Coast
 
I assume the problem is daylight on the iPhone screen. There is no possibility of an optical viewfinder - that would require a mirror and prism like in a DSLR. There are various sunshades - just go to Amazon and search for "sunshade for iPhone".

Reply
 
 
Sep 15, 2021 09:38:12   #
Festus Loc: North Dakota
 
stevefrankel wrote:
I'd like to sell my Sony RX100 VA that I use as a backup camera for my Sony RX10-IV (like-new thanks to the pandemic) and use my iPhone 12 Pro Max as my backup camera. I shoot a lot on ships and on Los Angeles beaches so an optical viewfinder that can frame the field of view on my iPhone is nearly essential. Does anyone have any experience with devices that can do this? A link and the cost of the setup would also be appreciated.


I don't know if this will fulfill your needs, but look at the IOS app Mark II Artist's Viewfinder. Can purchase in the App Store.

Reply
Sep 15, 2021 11:18:26   #
Rab-Eye Loc: Indiana
 
juan_uy wrote:
Not sure if such product exists.
But as a cheap (not that good) alternative if nothing appears, you could look into something similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/TFY-Universal-Phone-Shield-iPhone/dp/B01DNRA35S


That looks useful!

Reply
Sep 15, 2021 11:24:53   #
SuperflyTNT Loc: Manassas VA
 
Festus wrote:
I don't know if this will fulfill your needs, but look at the IOS app Mark II Artist's Viewfinder. Can purchase in the App Store.


That doesn’t solve the problem of bright light on the screen. It’s a visualization tool mainly for photographers/film makers to plan a shoot. It mimics different camera and lens combinations so you can check out various angles and lightings.

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.