Unless your flight is in October or later, I don't think waiting will do much good. I'm in Nevada between Dixie and Caldor. I expect smoke for the rest of the month--as an optimistic hope.
Sorry, I also agree with architect, there's noting that will clear the smoke to the level here. Where you're going, Dehaze might help.
I think visiting friends and taking nice portraits to keep the photo bug at bay, might define this trip better.