Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Links and Resources
Dear Valued Photographer...
Aug 21, 2021 09:11:40   #
Basil Loc: Gone
 
That's how the letter explaining the new photography guidelines at Sonoma Raceway starts. Since they say they want ALL photographs within 48-72 hours, I like the suggestion someone made to send them 15,000 unprocessed photos of trashcans and photographers' feet! Thoughts?

https://petapixel.com/2021/08/20/sonoma-raceway-under-fire-for-rights-grabbing-photo-policy/

Reply
Aug 21, 2021 09:32:21   #
47greyfox Loc: Colorado front range
 
The track backpedals in the comments…. 🥴😵‍💫
Must be run by a career politician?

Reply
Aug 21, 2021 10:12:43   #
lamiaceae Loc: San Luis Obispo County, CA
 
Basil wrote:
That's how the letter explaining the new photography guidelines at Sonoma Raceway starts. Since they say they want ALL photographs within 48-72 hours, I like the suggestion someone made to send them 15,000 unprocessed photos of trashcans and photographers' feet! Thoughts?

https://petapixel.com/2021/08/20/sonoma-raceway-under-fire-for-rights-grabbing-photo-policy/


Copyright blackmail and virtual theift. At a NASCAR event possibly. But if Sonoma Raceway at the other track tries this c.r.a.p. the NHRA will probably be skipping Sonoma next year and adding Onterio, CA next season or three races in Pomona!

Reply
 
 
Aug 21, 2021 10:34:00   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
What a way to get free pictures........

Reply
Aug 21, 2021 10:44:13   #
rook2c4 Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
 
Most likely the event organizers meant all images the photographer intends to publish (or considers publishing) - not every junk shot.

Reply
Aug 21, 2021 11:02:18   #
Basil Loc: Gone
 
rook2c4 wrote:
Most likely the event organizers meant all images the photographer intends to publish (or considers publishing) - not every junk shot.


That's not what they said. Even if that's what they meant, it's still a boneheaded policy.

Reply
Aug 21, 2021 11:06:07   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
rook2c4 wrote:
Most likely the event organizers meant all images the photographer intends to publish (or considers publishing) - not every junk shot.

Sorry, it does NOT explicitly state that, you are making an assumption.
Just as assuming that "photos taken" means "all".
Better odds on that being true.
People don't use enough words in their writing anymore, which would help avoid any ambiguity, confusion, or mis-interpretation.

Reply
 
 
Aug 21, 2021 12:12:48   #
JohnSwanda Loc: San Francisco
 
Basil wrote:
That's how the letter explaining the new photography guidelines at Sonoma Raceway starts. Since they say they want ALL photographs within 48-72 hours, I like the suggestion someone made to send them 15,000 unprocessed photos of trashcans and photographers' feet! Thoughts?

https://petapixel.com/2021/08/20/sonoma-raceway-under-fire-for-rights-grabbing-photo-policy/


You have to read the comments on the story to learn that it doesn't apply to NASCAR or the NHRA, but weekly programs like Wednesday Night Drags.

Reply
Aug 21, 2021 12:18:20   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
JohnSwanda wrote:
You have to read the comments on the story to learn that it doesn't apply to NASCAR or the NHRA, but weekly programs like Wednesday Night Drags.

Still.......

House rules are possibly overridden by NASCAR and NHRA.

Reply
Aug 21, 2021 15:35:00   #
rook2c4 Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
 
Longshadow wrote:
Sorry, it does NOT explicitly state that, you are making an assumption.
Just as assuming that "photos taken" means "all".
Better odds on that being true.
People don't use enough words in their writing anymore, which would help avoid any ambiguity, confusion, or mis-interpretation.

But a logical assumption. They don't want tens of thousands of unusable junk images to sift through. Which is exactly what they would get if ALL the attending photographers turned in ALL of their images. Including all the burst mode images, which generally have a per image low rate of usability.

They want the good shots that have potential for publishing.

Reply
Aug 21, 2021 15:42:26   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
rook2c4 wrote:
But a logical assumption. They don't want tens of thousands of unusable junk images to sift through. Which is exactly what they would get if ALL the attending photographers turned in ALL of their images. Including all the burst mode images, which generally have a per image low rate of usability.

They want the good shots that have potential for publishing.


Logical or illogical, still an assumption.
One MAY be closer to being a correct assumption than another.

Reply
 
 
Aug 22, 2021 09:48:27   #
mikeroetex Loc: Lafayette, LA
 
Basil wrote:
That's how the letter explaining the new photography guidelines at Sonoma Raceway starts. Since they say they want ALL photographs within 48-72 hours, I like the suggestion someone made to send them 15,000 unprocessed photos of trashcans and photographers' feet! Thoughts?

https://petapixel.com/2021/08/20/sonoma-raceway-under-fire-for-rights-grabbing-photo-policy/

How would they know if you took 7 photos or 7000?

Reply
Aug 31, 2021 16:55:29   #
DirtFarmer Loc: Way too close to New York City
 
Clarity is important. If you mean ALL (with limitations) you have to state the limitations up front. Otherwise it's time to review the credentials of their PR guy.

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Links and Resources
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.