Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Lens filter problem
Page <prev 2 of 7 next> last>>
Aug 1, 2021 09:38:39   #
User ID
 
nikon_jon wrote:
Try to find a rubber band that fits snugly around the filter. Put it right next to the lens so you are exerting the energy on the threaded part of the filter and not the rotating part of the filter. A rubber band that is a little wider than normal works best. When you grip it to rotate the filter off, don't squeeze it too hard. Believe it or not, this can tend to distort the metal threaded ring on the filter, thus binding it tighter against the threads on the lens barrel. Wrap your hand around the lens barrel up near the point where the lens and filter connect. This can warm the barrel with your body heat and cause it to expand a little. When you start twisting on the filter, try to exert only enough pressure to keep the rubber band from slipping.

This has worked for me more than once. Filters really need to be taken off frequently and re-mounted to reduce this problem.
Try to find a rubber band that fits snugly around ... (show quote)


The filter is not stuck. No reason to do all that. Just pull it forward while unscrewing it. That particular filter happens to be ill fitting for that lens.

Reply
Aug 1, 2021 09:46:24   #
User ID
 
trapper1 wrote:
When I bought my Nikon 18-200 lens I also bought a UV filter and a circular polarizer filter for it. The UV stays on the lens all the time for protection. I have used the CP lens several times and at no time had any problems attaching or removing either filter. I mount them with the CP lens first followed by the UV for protection. Today
I removed the UV but the CP lens would not come off. It would not unscrew, it just revolved as if there were no threads. Then I found it would not tighten up either, not in the least. Now it will neither come off nor seat. If anyone has had a similar experience and solved the problem I would appreciate hearing from you.
When I bought my Nikon 18-200 lens I also bought a... (show quote)

You are correct in saying “as if it has no threads”. You have run it in past the threads.

When you bottom out the filter into the lens the threaded areas of both items have gone past each other. Just pull the filter forward as you unscrew it, so as to catch the threads.

The few times you had no problem, there was likely less than about 1/10 turn of threading still engaged, but in normally snugging the filter into place you wore away the fragile bit of plastic. It’s a cheap design, not abuse on your part, thaz at fault.

In sadly typical UHH manner, no one else has read what you plainly wrote. Keep that in mind next time you seek advice from these faux experts. They seldom if ever read what is right in front of them :-(

Reply
Aug 1, 2021 09:51:46   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
User ID wrote:
It’s not stuck. It turns in place. Do NOT use a wrench.

The threads on the PL have “gone behind” the lens threads. The PL is not rotating on its built in adjustment ring. The entire PL, back ring and all, is rotating in place.

The lens has a nonthreaded gap behind the threaded area. The PL has a nonthreaded gap forward of its threaded area. Just gently pull the PL forward while turning it CCW so that the threads of the PL reengage with the lens threads.

That particular PL is not a good choice for that lens. It needs filters with no nonthreaded area. In comparing threads of the PL to the threads of the UV the difference should be evident.

This problem often occurs with lenses that have plastic filter threads. The threads do not continue all the way to the trim ring, leaving a gap.
It’s not stuck. It turns in place. Do NOT use a wr... (show quote)

The problem appears to be that the UV is on the CP, with the top part of the CP rotating, therefore it does not want to unscrew from the CP. The top part of the CP would have to be held so it doesn't rotate while attempting to remove the UV filter.

Reply
 
 
Aug 1, 2021 09:59:09   #
User ID
 
Longshadow wrote:
The problem appears to be that the UV is on the CP, with the top part of the CP rotating, therefore it does not want to unscrew from the CP. The top part of the CP would have to be held so it doesn't rotate while attempting to remove the UV filter.


No. That is NOT what “appears to be”. Read the opening post.

You are inventing stuff. Nearly all PLs have a knurled grip area for attaching and removing the unit by its own base support ring. The rotating front unit is not involved at all.

The OP has encountered a fairly common situation that happens with some filters and it is unrelated to whether the filter is or is not a PL.

Reply
Aug 1, 2021 10:02:04   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
User ID wrote:
No. That is NOT what “appears to be”.

You are inventing stuff. Nearly all PLs have a knurled grip area for attaching and removing the unit by its own base support ring.

The OP has encountered a common situation that happens with some filters and it is unrelated to whether the filter is or is not a PL.


Sorry! I misinterpreted the OP's statement of: "I mount them with the CP lens first followed by the UV for protection."

I guess "followed by the UV" didn't mean that it was added to the CP...... My mistake.

("I" thought it was plainly written.......)

Reply
Aug 1, 2021 10:17:45   #
User ID
 
Longshadow wrote:
Sorry! I misinterpreted the OP's statement of: "I mount them with the CP lens first followed by the UV for protection."

I guess "followed by the UV didn't mean that it was added to the CP...... My mistake.


Either way wouldn’t matter. I think he actually does use the UV to protect the PL. but the problem is cheap short threading on both the lens and PL. If *either* item were fully threaded the problem would not occur.

Easier to replace the PL than the lens so the short threading on the lens is not going away. He needs a PL with *at least* one more turn of threading than is found on the current one. Preferably it should be fully threaded with almost no unthreaded section between the threads and the rest of the mounting ring. The PL currently on hand remains suitable for other lenses that are more fully threaded.

To be exceptional clear for all who read this:
You could dismantle the whole PL and keep just the empty mounting ring. If you attach that bare naked ring to that lens, the problem will still exist. It has nothing to do with this being a rotating filter. It has everything to do with manufacturers cutting corners.

Reply
Aug 1, 2021 10:23:16   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
User ID wrote:
Either way wouldn’t matter. I think he actually does use the UV to protect the PL. but the problem is cheap short threading on both the lens and PL. If *either* item were fully threaded the problem would not occur.

Easier to replace the PL than the lens so the short threading on the lens is not going away. He needs a PL with *at least* one more turn of threading than is found on the current one. Preferably it should be fully threaded with almost no unthreaded section between the threads and the rest of the mounting ring. The PL currently on hand remains suitable for other lenses that are more fully threaded.

To be exceptional clear for all who read this:
You could dismantle the whole PL and keep just the empty mounting ring. If you attach that bare naked ring to that lens, the problem will still exist. It has nothing to do with this being a rotating filter. It has everything to do with manufacturers cutting corners.
Either way wouldn’t matter. I think he actually do... (show quote)

And isn't your cause suggestion a supposition of what actually occurred?
Could be as simple as my thought..... Could not....
But I'm just flat out wrong, eh?

Reply
 
 
Aug 1, 2021 10:28:06   #
DirtFarmer Loc: Way too close to New York City
 
ClarkJohnson wrote:
...BTW, I don’t like to stack filters for IQ reasons. If I want to use a CP, I take off the UV.

Good luck!


Stacking filters can also cause vignetting.

Reply
Aug 1, 2021 10:43:14   #
User ID
 
Here is a cross section of a filter (yellow) whose threads have gone barely past the threading of the lens barrel (dark green).

With properly made lenses and filters this cannot happen. There would be nearly complete threading, with no empty space beyond an abbreviated threaded section.

A typical modern lens might have only 2 or 3 turns of threading, about half of what you find on older lenses (and better modern ones).

The filter’s threads are trapped behind the lens threads so the filter will not just fall off. You can keep turning it in either direction cuz no threads are engaged. To reengage the threads, pull the filter forward while unscrewing it.


(Download)

Reply
Aug 1, 2021 11:15:34   #
User ID
 
Longshadow wrote:
And isn't your cause suggestion a supposition of what actually occurred?
Could be as simple as my thought..... Could not....
But I'm just flat out wrong, eh?

Just parse the description of the situation in the opening post.

Reply
Aug 1, 2021 11:22:43   #
User ID
 
Hogsters apparently believe that the filter is jammed on, which it is clearly not ....

•OR•

They believe (with no reason) that the OP is unaware of the rotating feature of the PL that he has been using.

Despite the OP’s uncool habit of stacking the UV on the PL, it would be quite a stretch to assume that he’s unaware of the rotating aspect of a PL that he’s been using and has attached and removed multiple times.

Reply
 
 
Aug 1, 2021 15:21:52   #
trapper1 Loc: Southside Virginia
 
First of all, thanks to all who posted advice, it led me to a successful conclusion to my lens problem. Since it was the inner, non-rotating ring on the lens that was the cause, removing it was a bit of a problem as it is so narrow that it is very difficult to grasp. I cut a 3/16" wide strip from an old leather belt, wrapped it around the lens over the narrow inner ring, held it in place a large water hose clamp, tightened the clamp, and the inner ring of the lens came right out when I rotated the clamp with no damage or marks on either the lens or the cameras' lens housing.

Again, thanks to all who responded to my post.

Trapper1

Reply
Aug 1, 2021 16:06:41   #
User ID
 
trapper1 wrote:
First of all, thanks to all who posted advice, it led me to a successful conclusion to my lens problem. Since it was the inner, non-rotating ring on the lens that was the cause, removing it was a bit of a problem as it is so narrow that it is very difficult to grasp. I cut a 3/16" wide strip from an old leather belt, wrapped it around the lens over the narrow inner ring, held it in place a large water hose clamp, tightened the clamp, and the inner ring of the lens came right out when I rotated the clamp with no damage or marks on either the lens or the cameras' lens housing.

Again, thanks to all who responded to my post.

Trapper1
First of all, thanks to all who posted advice, it ... (show quote)

Now that there’s been some slight wear on the lens threading, acoarst you’d avoid using that PL on that lens !

Find a PL that has more turns in its threading compared to your current one.

Oddly nuf, step up rings are usually very thoroughly threaded. I’ve got lenses where filters will engage only 2/3 to 4/3 of a turn, but a stepping ring will engage by at least 2 full turns, often 3 turns.

Wherever possible, I add step up rings to lenses with plastic threads, and never remove them. Acoarst if you’re enamored of reversible hoods, forget about that.

Reply
Aug 2, 2021 05:45:15   #
dpullum Loc: Tampa Florida
 
The glass part of filters is usually held in place with a spring clip. One can remove the clip and then the glass will fall out or can be helped with a vacuum cup. Without the glass and clip, the rest of the filter may unscrew. Worse comes needle nose pliers can twist and shrink the stuck filter ring thereby allowing removal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1mAN14AE_4

Old joke when working on cars..."iffin that don't work... get a bigger hammer."

Reply
Aug 2, 2021 06:17:15   #
ggenova64
 
Chicago312 wrote:
Sounds like your CP filter is stuck. You may buy/try a filter wrench, though I never found them to be very effective. If you can’t pry the filter off, consider taking it to your local camera store for assistance.
Not sure what type of filters you bought, but supposedly brass filters are less likely to get stuck - something to consider after you fix your problem.
I also use a UV filter on all of my lenses for protection. However I attach additional filters (CP or ND) to the UV, not to the lens. The UV stays on 24/7.
Sounds like your CP filter is stuck. You may buy/t... (show quote)


Use a rubber jar opener.

Reply
Page <prev 2 of 7 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.