Ugly Hedgehog - Photography
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
New Canon R6, focusing problems
Jun 24, 2021 18:18:30   #
flashdaddy Loc: Berlin PA
 
I'm having problems trying to use auto-focus. My lens is set to AF, but when I hit the shutter it doesn't snap into focus. I went online and was using videos by Roberto Valenzula to set up the menus but I must have missed something or did something wrong.
Any Ideas?

Reply
Jun 24, 2021 18:22:03   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
flashdaddy wrote:
I'm having problems trying to use auto-focus. My lens is set to AF, but when I hit the shutter it doesn't snap into focus. I went online and was using videos by Roberto Valenzula to set up the menus but I must have missed something or did something wrong.
Any Ideas?


What lens, specifically? Is the problem just this lens or all lenses on the camera?

Reply
Jun 24, 2021 23:08:50   #
flashdaddy Loc: Berlin PA
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
What lens, specifically? Is the problem just this lens or all lenses on the camera?


I got a package, the 24-105 f4 lens was included. B&H is still out of the lens adapters.

Reply
 
 
Jun 24, 2021 23:17:11   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
flashdaddy wrote:
I got a package, the 24-105 f4 lens was included. B&H is still out of the lens adapters.


There shouldn't be a problem. If you don't have a camera shop / experienced friend to help investigate there together, try Canon technical support at (800) 652-2666.

Reply
Jun 25, 2021 06:46:23   #
IHH61 Loc: Homestead Fl
 
Did you set up back button focus? If so the shutter button will not activate auto focus. Try pressing the focus lock button with your thumb and see what happens.

Hugh

Reply
Jun 25, 2021 07:32:07   #
scubadoc Loc: Sarasota, FL
 
IHH61 wrote:
Did you set up back button focus? If so the shutter button will not activate auto focus. Try pressing the focus lock button with your thumb and see what happens.

Hugh


By default, even if you set BBF, unless you change the shutter button to exposure only, you should still have accurate focus with half press of the shutter button. My setup is to change the AF On button to eye focus. When you half press the shutter button you get AF with whatever zone you have set. You can keep your finger on the shutter button, thumb press the AF On button and get instantaneous Eye focus. If the OP is not getting focus with a half press of the shutter button, he should go to the menu that lets him change the default of the shutter button and see what it is set to. On the R5, this would be the Customize Menu, Tab 3. The R6 is likely the same.

Reply
Jun 25, 2021 07:56:19   #
Jimmy T Loc: Virginia
 
flashdaddy wrote:
I'm having problems trying to use auto-focus. My lens is set to AF, but when I hit the shutter it doesn't snap into focus. I went online and was using videos by Roberto Valenzula to set up the menus but I must have missed something or did something wrong.
Any Ideas?


It is possible to make this happen because I have made so many conflicting settings to my Canon camera that it was inoperable.
The fix: Go to the manual, find the reset procedure for your R6 camera, then reset it to the factory settings like it was when you received it.
Then if it doesn't focus make the call to Canon just like CHG_CANON suggested.
Please follow up and let us know what happens
Smile,
JimmyT Sends

Reply
 
 
Jun 25, 2021 08:17:56   #
ncribble Loc: Albuquerque, NM
 
Flashdaddy, I've encountered the same problems on the 'R' and the 'RP' and found the focus square had wandered from the center of the viewing screen. By hitting the delete button it re-centered the focus square to the center of the view screen and then the camera would focus just fine. Quick, easy and it works.

Reply
Jun 25, 2021 10:15:19   #
47greyfox Loc: on the edge of the Colorado front range
 
ncribble wrote:
Flashdaddy, I've encountered the same problems on the 'R' and the 'RP' and found the focus square had wandered from the center of the viewing screen. By hitting the delete button it re-centered the focus square to the center of the view screen and then the camera would focus just fine. Quick, easy and it works.


I turned the touch screen off for that very reason. I blamed the “wandering” square on my nose.

Reply
Jun 25, 2021 10:33:18   #
SuperflyTNT Loc: Manassas VA
 
47greyfox wrote:
I turned the touch screen off for that very reason. I blamed the “wandering” square on my nose.


Same problem with my Sony RX10MIV. It drive me crazy trying to figure out where the focus point was every time I put my camera to my eye. Finally figured out it was my nose on the touchscreen that kept moving it.

Reply
Jun 25, 2021 11:06:57   #
kcooke Loc: Alabama
 
47greyfox wrote:
I turned the touch screen off for that very reason. I blamed the “wandering” square on my nose.


Same thing on my Canon M5

Reply
 
 
Jun 25, 2021 18:39:38   #
flashdaddy Loc: Berlin PA
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
There shouldn't be a problem. If you don't have a camera shop / experienced friend to help investigate there together, try Canon technical support at (800) 652-2666.


After more than a 1/2 hour I finally got to talk to someone at Canon. It ends up I had the Customize buttons set to Metering Start and should have been on Metering & AF Start. (Orange Menu #3 page). So now I can focus, but still a lot of learning to do. Thanks

Reply
Jun 25, 2021 21:02:21   #
IHH61 Loc: Homestead Fl
 
scubadoc wrote:
By default, even if you set BBF, unless you change the shutter button to exposure only, you should still have accurate focus with half press of the shutter button.


If you don’t change the shutter button you don’t have back button focus!

Hugh

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com
Copyright 2011-2024 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.