Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Low light performance: D850 vs. Df
Jun 9, 2021 13:05:30   #
DaveyDitzer Loc: Western PA
 
I searched this and could only find threads dating back several years. My question is if any member has compared the low light performance of the D850 vs. the Df? I originally got the Df because it was described as a great low light camera. Of course with the more recent advent of the D850 would the larger pixel of the Df still mean it would perform better in low light, all other things being equal (ceteris parabis according to my long gone econ prof.)?

Reply
Jun 9, 2021 13:47:57   #
Ysarex
 
DaveyDitzer wrote:
I searched this and could only find threads dating back several years. My question is if any member has compared the low light performance of the D850 vs. the Df? I originally got the Df because it was described as a great low light camera. Of course with the more recent advent of the D850 would the larger pixel of the Df still mean it would perform better in low light, all other things being equal (ceteris parabis according to my long gone econ prof.)?


https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Nikon/Df
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Nikon/D850
https://www.dxomark.com/dxomark-camera-sensor-testing-protocol-and-scores/

Reply
Jun 9, 2021 13:51:56   #
BebuLamar
 
Based on the DxO test, they rated the Df as better performance with high ISO. Now if you take a picture with the Df and then cut out a 16MP portion of an image from the D850 I would think the Df has lower noise. However, if you take the entire frame of the D850 and then resize it down to 16MP the image from the D850 may have less noise.

Reply
 
 
Jun 9, 2021 14:40:20   #
Drbobcameraguy Loc: Eaton Ohio
 
The D3s is low light king between these 3

Reply
Jun 9, 2021 14:50:57   #
SteveR Loc: Dallas
 
Drbobcameraguy wrote:
The D3s is low light king between these 3


Check the Nikon technical specs. The D850 and D3s have the same lowlight capabilities, but the D850 has much better resolution. However, go up to the D5 or D6 and the flagship camera blows all Nikon cameras away in lowlight capability.

Reply
Jun 9, 2021 18:30:12   #
larryepage Loc: North Texas (Dallas area)
 
DaveyDitzer wrote:
I searched this and could only find threads dating back several years. My question is if any member has compared the low light performance of the D850 vs. the Df? I originally got the Df because it was described as a great low light camera. Of course with the more recent advent of the D850 would the larger pixel of the Df still mean it would perform better in low light, all other things being equal (ceteris parabis according to my long gone econ prIof.)?


I have both a D850 and a D810. I do not have a Df. But I can tell you that in real life, what constitutes the "best" low light camera is highly dependent on exactly what kind of low light shooting you want to do with it. And a lot of energy is spent splitting hairs between cameras that are not significantly different from each other.

For what liw light I do (mostly night sky), the D850 looks a tiny bit better on paper than the D810. In real life, it doesn't make any difference, except that the the extra resolution of the D850 delivers some real benefits resolving stars. But I shoot them both exactly the same. There is no way I would use the Df for this in place of either of my cameras. I wouldn't be interested in using a D3s (or its relatives) for that either.

I don't shoot sports in dimly lit stadiums. But it wouldn't surprise me if someone showed that a Df or some other camera was a little better than either of my cameras in that situation. My D500 did fine for me at a stadium graduation last week.

I've played around quite a bit on Photons to Photos and decided that among the best models of recent cameras, the difference in low-light performance is really not worth getting too worked up over. Other differences are much more important.

Reply
Jun 9, 2021 18:44:13   #
User ID
 
Drbobcameraguy wrote:
The D3s is low light king between these 3

LOL. Good one !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stuck a Sony a7S sensor and imaging engine into my Df. Great “night vision”, but in order to fit it cleanly, I hadda add some Sony body parts, like a complete set of them. Folks sometimes mistake it for a real a7S but in my heart of hearts I’ll always *know* it’s really a Df ;-)

Reply
 
 
Jun 9, 2021 19:13:58   #
Strodav Loc: Houston, Tx
 
larryepage wrote:
I have both a D850 and a D810. I do not have a Df. But I can tell you that in real life, what constitutes the "best" low light camera is highly dependent on exactly what kind of low light shooting you want to do with it. And a lot of energy is spent splitting hairs between cameras that are not significantly different from each other.

For what liw light I do (mostly night sky), the D850 looks a tiny bit better on paper than the D810. In real life, it doesn't make any difference, except that the the extra resolution of the D850 delivers some real benefits resolving stars. But I shoot them both exactly the same. There is no way I would use the Df for this in place of either of my cameras. I wouldn't be interested in using a D3s (or its relatives) for that either.

I don't shoot sports in dimly lit stadiums. But it wouldn't surprise me if someone showed that a Df or some other camera was a little better than either of my cameras in that situation. My D500 did fine for me at a stadium graduation last week.

I've played around quite a bit on Photons to Photos and decided that among the best models of recent cameras, the difference in low-light performance is really not worth getting too worked up over. Other differences are much more important.
I have both a D850 and a D810. I do not have a Df.... (show quote)



Reply
Jun 10, 2021 06:12:55   #
cameraf4 Loc: Delaware
 
DaveyDitzer wrote:
I searched this and could only find threads dating back several years. My question is if any member has compared the low light performance of the D850 vs. the Df? I originally got the Df because it was described as a great low light camera. Of course with the more recent advent of the D850 would the larger pixel of the Df still mean it would perform better in low light, all other things being equal (ceteris parabis according to my long gone econ prof.)?


Davey, do these help?
https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/12/04/iso-12800-test-nikon-df-vs-sony-a7-zero-noise-reduction-and-low-light/
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-df/nikon-df-field-test.htm
https://www.dxomark.com/nikon-df-review-new-low-light-champion/

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 09:18:12   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
Here are some articles that might help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Low+light+performance%3A+D850+vs.+Df&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS925US925&oq=Low+light+performance%3A+D850+vs.+Df&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64j69i61.534j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 10:29:44   #
TriX Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
According to the Photons to Photos site (which I trust more than DXOmark), the DF is very slightly better, but less than 1/4 stop - not enough to make a real difference. If low light is your thing and it fits your budget, the D5 is the Nikon King. See the tabulation for low light and DR performance under the chart: https://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.ht

Reply
 
 
Jun 10, 2021 12:19:29   #
cbtsam Loc: Monkton, MD
 
TriX wrote:
According to the Photons to Photos site (which I trust more than DXOmark), the DF is very slightly better, but less than 1/4 stop - not enough to make a real difference. If low light is your thing and it fits your budget, the D5 is the Nikon King. See the tabulation for low light and DR performance under the chart: https://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.ht


Interesting, but I find you link failed. Could you repost it?

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 12:46:10   #
russraman Loc: New York City
 
From The Angry Photographer (D850 vs D500 in Low Light) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JI_1cw6EB8

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 13:31:25   #
TriX Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
cbtsam wrote:
Interesting, but I find you link failed. Could you repost it?


Looks like it missed the last couple of letters in the copy, try this one:https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 22:32:54   #
Ched49 Loc: Pittsburgh, Pa.
 
Eight years ago, the df was the King of low light performance and still a good performer even by today's standers. The df
is supposed to be better in low light than the D850.

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.