Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
Attention, be aware , Win10 update
Page 1 of 2 next>
Jun 9, 2021 08:44:07   #
trinhqthuan Loc: gaithersburg
 
Window 10 update came with options, 'Shutdown after update, Sleep after update, Stay on after update'.
Two times I had it updated then sleep.
Both times my Dell computers never woke up in the morning after updated in the evening, then went to sleep. I ended up get a new desktop each time.
So l will never ever have my Win10 update then sleep.

Reply
Jun 9, 2021 08:57:30   #
lamontcranston
 
I've always used "Shutdown After Update". Never had a problem restarting after update.

Reply
Jun 9, 2021 09:50:26   #
gsmith051 Loc: Fairfield Glade, TN
 
lamontcranston wrote:
I've always used "Shutdown After Update". Never had a problem restarting after update.

Same here.

Reply
 
 
Jun 9, 2021 10:18:55   #
PhotogHobbyist Loc: Bradford, PA
 
I always use either "update and shut down" or "update and restart".

Reply
Jun 9, 2021 10:49:01   #
Earnest Botello Loc: Hockley, Texas
 
"Update and restart" I have never had a problem with Win 10, never.

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 05:23:36   #
chrissybabe Loc: New Zealand
 
Update and then restart. That way you know what you are doing tomorrow.

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 07:59:33   #
dpfoto Loc: Cape Coral, FL
 
Is there any way to block ALL of those Windows updates? There's an old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Reply
 
 
Jun 10, 2021 08:32:50   #
sabfish
 
dpfoto wrote:
Is there any way to block ALL of those Windows updates? There's an old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."


You can turn off updates, although I would not recommend doing so. The smartest thing is not to be the first on the block to install an update. Bugs in Microsoft updates are common. You can turn off automatic updates and then install the updates on your own schedule; perhaps a month after they come out, after the bugs have been fixed. Even if you don't want new features, the updates are important since they often include improved security that can help avoid hackers and malware.

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 08:50:58   #
fetzler Loc: North West PA
 
sabfish wrote:
You can turn off updates, although I would not recommend doing so. The smartest thing is not to be the first on the block to install an update. Bugs in Microsoft updates are common. You can turn off automatic updates and then install the updates on your own schedule; perhaps a month after they come out, after the bugs have been fixed. Even if you don't want new features, the updates are important since they often include improved security that can help avoid hackers and malware.


your right, delay your update at least a week or two.

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 10:06:08   #
Mustanger Loc: Grants Pass, Oregon USA
 
So your computers had to be replaced after going to "sleep" after the updates? You seem very calm if that is what happened! LOL...I admire your fortitude & your bank account. Did I misunderstand your post? Thanks, you possibly have my total sympathy!

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 10:12:46   #
DirtFarmer Loc: Way too close to New York City
 
trinhqthuan wrote:
Window 10 update came with options, 'Shutdown after update, Sleep after update, Stay on after update'.
Two times I had it updated then sleep.
Both times my Dell computers never woke up in the morning after updated in the evening, then went to sleep. I ended up get a new desktop each time.
So l will never ever have my Win10 update then sleep.


Not quite sure of your complaint.

Are you expecting a computer that went to sleep to wake up on its own? Not the way it works.

Are you just seeing a rearrangement of your icons on the desktop? If so, you can install a desktop saver that will save the layout of your desktop. If it gets changed for any reason (including you moving/deleting icons) you can easily restore your desired arrangement. There are a lot of them. Just google (or duckduck) "Desktop Restore" (uppercase not necessary).

Reply
 
 
Jun 10, 2021 10:17:05   #
boberic Loc: Quiet Corner, Connecticut. Ex long Islander
 
Some times I have a "wake up" delay. I reboot. No problems

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 10:49:29   #
TriX Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
sabfish wrote:
You can turn off updates, although I would not recommend doing so. The smartest thing is not to be the first on the block to install an update. Bugs in Microsoft updates are common. You can turn off automatic updates and then install the updates on your own schedule; perhaps a month after they come out, after the bugs have been fixed. Even if you don't want new features, the updates are important since they often include improved security that can help avoid hackers and malware.


Unless you own Win 10 Professional, you cannot turn off updates, just delay them - if you’ve found a way, please post it. Regardless, you should be installing updates as they contain new virus definitions for Windows Defender. As for the OP’s issue, surely he doesn’t mean the update “bricked” the machine requiring a HW replacement. Worst case, you could just reload the OS.

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 11:12:21   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
It died in its sleep.

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 11:14:16   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
boberic wrote:
Some times I have a "wake up" delay. I reboot. No problems


Yes, waking up (for people, too) can be a problem. I had a computer that could not find an HDMI connection, so it went back to sleep. The fix was simple - reseat the memory cards. Crazy cause for a problem, but bad memory contacts can cause lots of problems.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.