Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Photo Gallery
Great Egret Feeding Frenzy
Page 1 of 2 next>
May 3, 2021 11:03:02   #
jimvanells Loc: Augusta, GA
 
We made another early morning visit to Lake Lochloosa in Florida last month and shot another 1000 or so pictures. The first thing we saw going out into the lake was a group of about 20 great egrets in trees across the lake (1 mi). We motored over and saw they were feeding on a hatch of young shad that were feeding on a lake fly hatch. The scene was beautiful with the golden light on the birds as they from their roost in the trees to the water. This was the first time we had seen egrets dive into the water like pelicans.

All the images were made with a Canon 5D4 and a Sigma 150-600 Sport version, 1/2000 shutter priority, ISO auto, and the f-stop varied with the light. Topaz DeNoise was used on all images.
Landing to grab some shad ISO 8000
Landing to grab some shad  ISO 8000...
(Download)
ISO 3200
ISO 3200...
(Download)
ISO 6400
ISO 6400...
(Download)
Had enough, time to rest ISO 2500
Had enough, time to rest  ISO 2500...
(Download)

Reply
May 3, 2021 11:13:05   #
Cwilson341 Loc: Central Florida
 
Wow, Jim. These are great action shots with delectable lighting! Very nice.

Reply
May 3, 2021 11:16:26   #
joehel2 Loc: Cherry Hill, NJ
 
Fabulous set, Jim. The downloads are beautiful.

Reply
 
 
May 3, 2021 11:32:37   #
Earnest Botello Loc: Hockley, Texas
 
Great set, Jim.

Reply
May 3, 2021 11:33:49   #
Sinewsworn Loc: Port Orchard, WA
 
jimvanells wrote:
We made another early morning visit to Lake Lochloosa in Florida last month and shot another 1000 or so pictures. The first thing we saw going out into the lake was a group of about 20 great egrets in trees across the lake (1 mi). We motored over and saw they were feeding on a hatch of young shad that were feeding on a lake fly hatch. The scene was beautiful with the golden light on the birds as they from their roost in the trees to the water. This was the first time we had seen egrets dive into the water like pelicans.

All the images were made with a Canon 5D4 and a Sigma 150-600 Sport version, 1/2000 shutter priority, ISO auto, and the f-stop varied with the light. Topaz DeNoise was used on all images.
We made another early morning visit to Lake Lochlo... (show quote)


Great set! You are right! The golden light on the birds is fantastic! Thanx for sharing!

Reply
May 3, 2021 11:34:11   #
kpmac Loc: Ragley, La
 
Very nice. Especially three and four.

Reply
May 3, 2021 11:45:48   #
Ballard Loc: Grass Valley, California
 
jimvanells wrote:
We made another early morning visit to Lake Lochloosa in Florida last month and shot another 1000 or so pictures. The first thing we saw going out into the lake was a group of about 20 great egrets in trees across the lake (1 mi). We motored over and saw they were feeding on a hatch of young shad that were feeding on a lake fly hatch. The scene was beautiful with the golden light on the birds as they from their roost in the trees to the water. This was the first time we had seen egrets dive into the water like pelicans.

All the images were made with a Canon 5D4 and a Sigma 150-600 Sport version, 1/2000 shutter priority, ISO auto, and the f-stop varied with the light. Topaz DeNoise was used on all images.
We made another early morning visit to Lake Lochlo... (show quote)


Great set of shots.

Reply
 
 
May 3, 2021 14:12:26   #
jdtonkinson Loc: Green Valley, AZ
 
Great captures, love the lighting
Beautiful

Reply
May 4, 2021 07:09:28   #
nimbushopper Loc: Tampa, FL
 
Excellent set!

Reply
May 4, 2021 07:11:07   #
J-SPEIGHT Loc: Akron, Ohio
 
jimvanells wrote:
We made another early morning visit to Lake Lochloosa in Florida last month and shot another 1000 or so pictures. The first thing we saw going out into the lake was a group of about 20 great egrets in trees across the lake (1 mi). We motored over and saw they were feeding on a hatch of young shad that were feeding on a lake fly hatch. The scene was beautiful with the golden light on the birds as they from their roost in the trees to the water. This was the first time we had seen egrets dive into the water like pelicans.

All the images were made with a Canon 5D4 and a Sigma 150-600 Sport version, 1/2000 shutter priority, ISO auto, and the f-stop varied with the light. Topaz DeNoise was used on all images.
We made another early morning visit to Lake Lochlo... (show quote)

Nice set Jim

Reply
May 4, 2021 07:40:55   #
JRiepe Loc: Southern Illinois
 
Excellent.

Reply
 
 
May 4, 2021 08:21:27   #
jimvanells Loc: Augusta, GA
 
Cwilson341 wrote:
Wow, Jim. These are great action shots with delectable lighting! Very nice.


Thanks for the kind words.

Reply
May 4, 2021 08:21:50   #
jimvanells Loc: Augusta, GA
 
joehel2 wrote:
Fabulous set, Jim. The downloads are beautiful.


Thanks Joe, we appreciate it.

Reply
May 4, 2021 08:22:15   #
jimvanells Loc: Augusta, GA
 
Earnest Botello wrote:
Great set, Jim.


Thanks Earnest.

Reply
May 4, 2021 08:22:43   #
jimvanells Loc: Augusta, GA
 
Sinewsworn wrote:
Great set! You are right! The golden light on the birds is fantastic! Thanx for sharing!


Thanks for commenting, we had a great time.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Photo Gallery
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.