Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Biltmore Stream and Gatlinburg Shops
Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
Apr 6, 2021 15:23:47   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
The other day I posted a image of the footbridge and spillway located on the Biltmore Mansion Estate property. This is a post of that stream a bit further down the road. I got wet feet taking this one and at least I didn't fall in.

Part of the trip was a visit to Gatlinburg which I'm sure many of those here have been to. There is a string of shops with something there for everyone. This quaint alleyway caught my eye so I could not resist seeing it through the lens of my camera to bring back as a memory of an enjoyable time.


(Download)


(Download)

Apr 6, 2021 15:31:00   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 

Apr 6, 2021 15:46:15   #
TonyBot
 
Sippy - you make the big subjects look as good as your tiny ones!

(By the way, the new issue of NatGeo has a photo-theme featuring insects. They're good, so he must have learned his technique from you!)

 
 
Apr 6, 2021 15:51:49   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
I'm with Longshadow on these.
--Bob
sippyjug104 wrote:
The other day I posted a image of the footbridge and spillway located on the Biltmore Mansion Estate property. This is a post of that stream a bit further down the road. I got wet feet taking this one and at least I didn't fall in.

Part of the trip was a visit to Gatlinburg which I'm sure many of those here have been to. There is a string of shops with something there for everyone. This quaint alleyway caught my eye so I could not resist seeing it through the lens of my camera to bring back as a memory of an enjoyable time.
The other day I posted a image of the footbridge a... (show quote)

Apr 6, 2021 16:00:54   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
Longshadow wrote:


Thanks ever so much, Longshadow.

Apr 6, 2021 16:02:46   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
TonyBot wrote:
Sippy - you make the big subjects look as good as your tiny ones!

(By the way, the new issue of NatGeo has a photo-theme featuring insects. They're good, so he must have learned his technique from you!)


Thanks for viewing and thanks for the heads-up on the NatGeo insect feature. I'm going to take a look at it for sure.

Apr 6, 2021 16:03:12   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
rmalarz wrote:
I'm with Longshadow on these.
--Bob


Thanks for viewing and for the feedback.

 
 
Apr 6, 2021 16:07:10   #
UTMike Loc: South Jordan, UT
 
Very nice work, Gary! You really do well even without your bugs (LOL)

Apr 6, 2021 16:10:20   #
tradio Loc: Oxford, Ohio
 
Both are very nice.
I heard they were going to start selling t-shirts in Gatlinburg..

Apr 6, 2021 16:23:12   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
UTMike wrote:
Very nice work, Gary! You really do well even without your bugs (LOL)


Thanks, UTMike. I've learned a few things over the countless number of shots that I have taken and instead of a Recycle Bin...I needed a Recycle Dumpster.

One is to shoot with the lowest ISO and to open the lens up to in the range of f/5.6 or f/8. Shutter speeds will vary however about 250 second feels about right most often and I shoot in RAW.

Yes...the images will look dark and that's what I'm looking for because it holds info in the shadows and does not lose info in the lights. Once it's gone there is no getting it back.

I post I move the exposure slider and the images start to pop. Push shadows open a bit and there's the detail I'm looking for. Set the black points and the white points to their low thresholds and that's about it.

Apr 6, 2021 16:26:44   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
tradio wrote:
Both are very nice.
I heard they were going to start selling t-shirts in Gatlinburg..


Thanks, pretty soon they'll start selling coffee mugs and keychains with Gatlinburg on them to go along with those t-shirts. When they do...I want to be first in line!

 
 
Apr 6, 2021 16:53:12   #
kpmac Loc: Ragley, La
 
Great job, sippy. They may not be stacks but they sure are good. It's fun to get out of our usual genres.

Apr 6, 2021 17:26:28   #
l-fox Loc: West Virginia
 
sippyjug104 wrote:
The other day I posted a image of the footbridge and spillway located on the Biltmore Mansion Estate property. This is a post of that stream a bit further down the road. I got wet feet taking this one and at least I didn't fall in.

Part of the trip was a visit to Gatlinburg which I'm sure many of those here have been to. There is a string of shops with something there for everyone. This quaint alleyway caught my eye so I could not resist seeing it through the lens of my camera to bring back as a memory of an enjoyable time.
The other day I posted a image of the footbridge a... (show quote)


-- like the shine.

Apr 6, 2021 17:32:48   #
Cwilson341 Loc: Central Florida
 
Lovely shots! The second is really appealing.

Apr 6, 2021 22:19:10   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
Cwilson341 wrote:
Lovely shots! The second is really appealing.


Thanks, it was the glaze of the red bricks that jumped out at me. Most often bricks are dull however these were glazed slick as snot and they provided a great play of light. The sky was overcast enough that the shop windows did not glare and I was able to see the artwork that they were selling. It took a bit for the visitors to clear so I would not get all of the people in the shot. There were a few down the alley however they did not interfere with what I wanted to see through the lens.

Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.