Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
Tax Filing Extension
Apr 3, 2021 08:04:25   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
In case you didn't hear, the deadline for filing your tax return is May 17.

From irs.gov -

Tax Deadlines Changed
The deadlines to file and pay most federal income taxes are extended to May 17, 2021. Get details on the new tax deadlines and on coronavirus tax relief and Economic Impact Payments.

Reply
Apr 3, 2021 08:22:18   #
JRiepe Loc: Southern Illinois
 
I filed early because I was anxious to give the IRS the $1,800 I owed them. And guess what? They gave me back $1,400 of it.😆

Reply
Apr 3, 2021 08:24:06   #
kvanhook Loc: Oriental, NC
 
You are correct for the Federal, but watch out for any state taxes which may not comply. Even if the state (NC in my case) will agree to extend the deadline for filing, they may (will in NC) charge interest for the extra month if you don't pay by the April date. The state might change it's mind, but for now I personally need to go ahead and send my amount due to avoid interest charges. Some days you're the bug and some days you're the windshield.

Reply
 
 
Apr 3, 2021 13:27:04   #
TriX Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
kvanhook wrote:
You are correct for the Federal, but watch out for any state taxes which may not comply. Even if the state (NC in my case) will agree to extend the deadline for filing, they may (will in NC) charge interest for the extra month if you don't pay by the April date. The state might change it's mind, but for now I personally need to go ahead and send my amount due to avoid interest charges. Some days you're the bug and some days you're the windshield.


“The North Carolina Department of Revenue (NCDOR) announced today that it will extend the April 15 tax filing and payment deadline to May 17, 2021, for individual income tax to mirror the announced deadline change from the Internal Revenue Service.”

But, as said, that may not be true for your state.

Reply
Apr 3, 2021 13:29:18   #
kvanhook Loc: Oriental, NC
 
TriX wrote:
“The North Carolina Department of Revenue (NCDOR) announced today that it will extend the April 15 tax filing and payment deadline to May 17, 2021, for individual income tax to mirror the announced deadline change from the Internal Revenue Service.”


Glad to hear that. It changes my immediate plans. Now I can leave on a camping trip and not worry about paying the state before the Federal. Thanks for posting.

Reply
Apr 3, 2021 13:39:02   #
TriX Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
kvanhook wrote:
Glad to hear that. It changes my immediate plans. Now I can leave on a camping trip and not worry about paying the state before the Federal. Thanks for posting.


My pleasure, I’m putting mine off also

Reply
Apr 3, 2021 14:03:17   #
ricardo00
 
jerryc41 wrote:
In case you didn't hear, the deadline for filing your tax return is May 17.

From irs.gov -

Tax Deadlines Changed
The deadlines to file and pay most federal income taxes are extended to May 17, 2021. Get details on the new tax deadlines and on coronavirus tax relief and Economic Impact Payments.


Unless I am reading it wrong, this does not apply to Federal Estimated taxes? These are still due in April? And again, could be wrong, but my state of California still requires me to file my taxes in April.

https://www.investopedia.com/irs-tax-payments-delayed-until-may-17-2021-4800123

Reply
 
 
Apr 3, 2021 18:07:49   #
RiJoRi Loc: Sandy Ridge, NC
 
Well, dang! We filed and got our refunds already! But I will admit it's kinda nice to not have that hanging over our heads!

BTW, who chose Apr. 15? That was the day Lincoln was shot, and later, the day the Titanic sank!

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.