Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Challenge: "Evens" March 18 - 20, 2021
Page 1 of 39 next> last>>
Mar 17, 2021 20:27:42   #
PAToGraphy Loc: Portland ME area
 
The purpose of this challenge is to focus on compositions with the main subjects being "EVEN" in number. The "rule" we hear repeatedly is: ODD number compositions produce a more balanced, natural feeling while EVEN number compositions can create an impression of tension. Challenge yourself to creatively shoot EVEN number compositions for this challenge (2,4,6,8 etc.) I looked through archives - most are odd number compositions. This will challenge your thinking (I sometimes forgot I was supposed to be shooting EVENS and reverted to odds) and can lead to some very interesting compositions.
2 wind surfers, 2 wind kites = a composition of 2 or 4
2 wind surfers, 2 wind kites = a composition of 2 ...
(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

Mar 17, 2021 22:03:50   #
elenita Loc: Elmhurst NYC Copake NY
 
In the kayakers the 2 men and one kayak are in a group and the 2nd kayak is isolated. Even the right hand person has their back to the right side kayak, and a line from the lighthouse down to the shore would further separate the kayak.
What would it be to have one of the men move over to the kayak on the right?
In the second shot of the sugaring pails, the 2 pails in the center look like one object.especially since they seem to be held by the trees.
The 3 shot of toes n bum brings a smile. its a triangle


It seems you still managed to follow the rule of odds.

Mar 18, 2021 00:01:29   #
Photogirl17 Loc: Glenwood, Ark.
 
PAToGraphy wrote:
The purpose of this challenge is to focus on compositions with the main subjects being "EVEN" in number. The "rule" we hear repeatedly is: ODD number compositions produce a more balanced, natural feeling while EVEN number compositions can create an impression of tension. Challenge yourself to creatively shoot EVEN number compositions for this challenge (2,4,6,8 etc.) I looked through archives - most are odd number compositions. This will challenge your thinking (I sometimes forgot I was supposed to be shooting EVENS and reverted to odds) and can lead to some very interesting compositions.
The purpose of this challenge is to focus on compo... (show quote)


Wonderful kick off Pat, thanks for Hosting.

 
 
Mar 18, 2021 05:45:00   #
cmc4214 Loc: S.W. Pennsylvania
 
Never heard of the "rule of odds" until very recently, but in looking through my archives I found very few evens. Here are a couple.


(Download)


(Download)

Mar 18, 2021 07:34:06   #
roxiemarty Loc: Florida
 
You are so right about very few images with "evens!" I never consciously knew about this.....I don't think. But I did find a few that I think fit the topic. I definitely will be looking at things to photograph for the next couple of days. I don't think we've done any challenges like this topic; good one!


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

Mar 18, 2021 07:53:19   #
PAToGraphy Loc: Portland ME area
 
elenita wrote:
In the kayakers the 2 men and one kayak are in a group and the 2nd kayak is isolated. Even the right hand person has their back to the right side kayak, and a line from the lighthouse down to the shore would further separate the kayak.
What would it be to have one of the men move over to the kayak on the right?
In the second shot of the sugaring pails, the 2 pails in the center look like one object.especially since they seem to be held by the trees.
The 3 shot of toes n bum brings a smile. its a triangle


It seems you still managed to follow the rule of odds.
In the kayakers the 2 men and one kayak are in a ... (show quote)


Thanks for your response. You are correct in that the "even" subjects are placed in an over all composition of "odds" (like the triangle). The overriding composition seems to make the evens more natural and pleasing.

Mar 18, 2021 07:54:25   #
PAToGraphy Loc: Portland ME area
 
roxiemarty wrote:
You are so right about very few images with "evens!" I never consciously knew about this.....I don't think. But I did find a few that I think fit the topic. I definitely will be looking at things to photograph for the next couple of days. I don't think we've done any challenges like this topic; good one!


p.1 These are beautiful, Roxie.

 
 
Mar 18, 2021 08:17:24   #
roxiemarty Loc: Florida
 
PAToGraphy wrote:
p.1 These are beautiful, Roxie.


Thank you, I have a few more to add for this morning.......then off to an appointment.


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

Mar 18, 2021 09:46:20   #
Steve DeMott Loc: St. Louis, Missouri (Oakville area)
 
Even # of Grapes, Even # leaves (at least what I counted). Add them together comes out even.
Only one bunch, odd isn't it.


(Download)

Mar 18, 2021 10:23:12   #
PAToGraphy Loc: Portland ME area
 
cmc4214 wrote:
Never heard of the "rule of odds" until very recently, but in looking through my archives I found very few evens. Here are a couple.


p.1 Some wonderful "evens", cmc.

Mar 18, 2021 10:25:18   #
PAToGraphy Loc: Portland ME area
 
roxiemarty wrote:
Thank you, I have a few more to add for this morning.......then off to an appointment.


Twin roasted chickens go well with the 4 oranges and the 6 cakes . Nice meal, Roxie.

 
 
Mar 18, 2021 10:26:05   #
PAToGraphy Loc: Portland ME area
 
Steve DeMott wrote:
Even # of Grapes, Even # leaves (at least what I counted). Add them together comes out even.
Only one bunch, odd isn't it.


p1. Yes, Steve it is odd but also very interesting - the composition within composition.

Mar 18, 2021 11:02:03   #
photophile Loc: Lakewood, Ohio, USA
 
PAToGraphy wrote:
The purpose of this challenge is to focus on compositions with the main subjects being "EVEN" in number. The "rule" we hear repeatedly is: ODD number compositions produce a more balanced, natural feeling while EVEN number compositions can create an impression of tension. Challenge yourself to creatively shoot EVEN number compositions for this challenge (2,4,6,8 etc.) I looked through archives - most are odd number compositions. This will challenge your thinking (I sometimes forgot I was supposed to be shooting EVENS and reverted to odds) and can lead to some very interesting compositions.
The purpose of this challenge is to focus on compo... (show quote)


I like the maple buckets most.

Mar 18, 2021 11:05:13   #
photophile Loc: Lakewood, Ohio, USA
 
Some evens:


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

Mar 18, 2021 11:20:29   #
photophile Loc: Lakewood, Ohio, USA
 
roxiemarty wrote:
You are so right about very few images with "evens!" I never consciously knew about this.....I don't think. But I did find a few that I think fit the topic. I definitely will be looking at things to photograph for the next couple of days. I don't think we've done any challenges like this topic; good one!


Love the two cats and two blooms.

Page 1 of 39 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.