Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Taking OTC meds before your covid vaccination
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
Mar 13, 2021 18:25:54   #
Linda From Maine Loc: Yakima, Washington
 
In Rongnongno's topic, "Covid Jab," someone said they took Tyenol prior to their second dose.

Per CDC guidelines: It is not recommended you take over-the-counter medicine, such as ibuprofen, aspirin, or acetaminophen, before vaccination for the purpose of trying to prevent vaccine-related side effects. It is not known how these medications may affect how well the vaccine works.

More info here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/expect.html

.

Mar 13, 2021 18:39:27   #
Curmudgeon Loc: SE Arizona
 
Get my second tomorrow. Thanks for the advice Linda

Mar 13, 2021 19:26:10   #
flip1948 Loc: Hamden, CT
 
Linda From Maine wrote:
In Rongnongno's topic, "Covid Jab," someone said they took Tyenol prior to their second dose.

Per CDC guidelines: It is not recommended you take over-the-counter medicine, such as ibuprofen, aspirin, or acetaminophen, before vaccination for the purpose of trying to prevent vaccine-related side effects. It is not known how these medications may affect how well the vaccine works.

More info here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/expect.html

.

When I got the first shot I was told that Tylenol would be OK after the shot if I experienced side effects such as headache.

What they don't want you to take are the ones you listed as they are anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) that can interfere with the vaccine working properly.

I get my second shot Wednesday and will be picking up some Tylenol ahead of time, just in case. From what I've read side effects are more likely after the second shot. I never felt the first one...had to ask if I had gotten it.

 
 
Mar 14, 2021 07:30:09   #
hippi Loc: Sedalia MO
 
we got our 2nd on 3-3-2021 and only had a sore arm

Mar 14, 2021 07:58:55   #
Dannj
 
I took a couple of Tylenol before going to bed after each shot...Moderna. Had a slightly sore arm after each shot and was tired the day after the second. Obviously, I don’t know if the Tylenol helped or not.

Mar 14, 2021 08:14:55   #
ClarkJohnson Loc: Fort Myers, FL and Cohasset, MA
 
Getting our second shots on Tuesday. We are preparing for the after effects by baking brownies and stocking up on ice cream. Not planning anything important for the next day.

Mar 14, 2021 09:15:59   #
skipwv Loc: Western West Virginia
 
I had practically no reaction to the first Moderna shot. This week, the second one nearly did me in. Don’t take Tylenol BEFORE but keep it handy for AFTER! Good luck!

 
 
Mar 14, 2021 09:32:15   #
47greyfox Loc: Colorado front range
 
When I got my first and second Moderna, the PA advised if I took anything to wait a minimum of 6-8 hrs before doing so.

Mar 14, 2021 09:32:34   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 
My wife and I have had both injections now, with absolutely no side effects whatsoever. As for Tylenol, it has the same effect on me as taking nothing--no relief at all--and it makes my wife ill. Just give us an aspirin any old day.

Mar 14, 2021 09:51:45   #
FrumCA Loc: VA
 
Both shots in the bank for me too. Zero side effects in both cases. Moderna. I'm glad most everyone seems to have done or be doing well.

Mar 14, 2021 09:57:54   #
Linda From Maine Loc: Yakima, Washington
 
Thanks to those who've commented about taking OTC meds after their injections. I didn't take anything after my Pfizer #1 because I wanted to be aware of what, if any, reaction I had. I had very mild symptoms.

For upcoming dose #2 I'm thinking Tylenol and ice cream the day after the shot sounds like a good plan

But, again, the CDC guidelines say don't take anything before you go!

 
 
Mar 14, 2021 09:59:46   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 
Linda From Maine wrote:
Thanks to those who've commented about taking OTC meds after their injections. I didn't take anything after my Pfizer #1 because I wanted to be aware of what, if any, reaction I had. I had very mild symptoms.

For upcoming dose #2 I'm thinking Tylenol and ice cream the day after the shot sounds like a good plan

But, again, the CDC guidelines say don't take anything before you go!


The ice cream sounds good!

Mar 14, 2021 10:06:26   #
keywest305
 
Im not sold on any shot just yet. Too early for me until side effects later are studied
Im sticking with the good old immune system for now. I never had a flu shot and in never get sick in 63 years. Vitamin D3 and my multi has been good so far...

Mar 14, 2021 10:23:18   #
StanMac Loc: Tennessee
 
There is a wide variation among folks as to the post shot reactions apparently. My first Pfizer shot was uneventful (didn’t even feel the injection) and the second one, mild fatigue for a few hours afterward. My significant other’s injection site swelled and looked inflamed and she was sore for days afterward. Go figure....

Stan

Mar 14, 2021 10:33:23   #
scatman Loc: Waterbury, CT
 
keywest305 wrote:
Im not sold on any shot just yet. Too early for me until side effects later are studied
Im sticking with the good old immune system for now. I never had a flu shot and in never get sick in 63 years. Vitamin D3 and my multi has been good so far...


Uh-oh, better get inoculated. Sounds like you just put the "golf commentator's curse" (he hasn't missed a putt inside of 5 feet in 63 holes) on yourself.

Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.