Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
A dead end with no outlet....
Page: 1 2 next>>
Feb 21, 2021 09:51:49   #
Rongnongno Loc: FL
 
I really would like to know why we advertise a road as dead end when there is no corpse and warn that there is no outlet at the end of the same road.

| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 09:59:10   #
bbradford Loc: Wake Forest NC
 
Good point. Why do they call it rust hour when your stopped in traffic?

| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 10:01:23   #
anotherview Loc: California
 
You may suffer from literalism. The English language contains many figures of speech along with idiosyncrasies. A native speaker of English will pick up the meanings of these expressions as a natural process of learning the ins-and-outs of the language. English 101.
Rongnongno wrote:
I really would like to know why we advertise a road as dead end when there is no corpse and warn that there is no outlet at the end of the same road.

| Reply
 
 
Feb 21, 2021 10:03:31   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
A new road came through and cut off one side of a road to a church (with a cemetery) I used to go to.
Sign at the remaining access road now reads "No Outlet"......

| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 10:42:49   #
PixelStan77 Loc: Vermont/Chicago
 
Longshadow wrote:
A new road came through and cut off one side of a road to a church (with a cemetery) I used to go to.
Sign at the remaining access road now reads "No Outlet"......


And I have the vision of someone with an extension cord standing by the sign, No outlet?

| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 11:50:44   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
PixelStan77 wrote:
And I have the vision of someone with an extension cord standing by the sign, No outlet?

Ironic that the church and cemetery were at the end of the road, and the sign used to say "Dead End".

| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 12:27:53   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
bbradford wrote:
Good point. Why do they call it rust hour when your stopped in traffic?

Same reason we park in the driveway and drive on the parkway...

| Reply
 
 
Feb 21, 2021 13:29:33   #
Muddyvalley Loc: McMinnville, Oregon
 
bbradford wrote:
Good point. Why do they call it rust hour when your stopped in traffic?


Because that's what happens with your car?

| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 14:21:38   #
robertjerl Loc: Corona, California
 
Rongnongno wrote:
I really would like to know why we advertise a road as dead end when there is no corpse and warn that there is no outlet at the end of the same road.


The guy who designs and makes the signs for the road department gets paid by the letter?

| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 14:31:00   #
DirtFarmer Loc: Way too close to New York City
 
If you're into strict grammar, deal with this:

"Today is the tomorrow which yesterday you spent money like there was no".

| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 17:08:06   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
DirtFarmer wrote:
If you're into strict grammar, deal with this:

"Today is the tomorrow which yesterday you spent money like there was no".


| Reply
 
 
Feb 21, 2021 18:31:05   #
Bill_de Loc: US
 
Longshadow wrote:
Same reason we park in the driveway and drive on the parkway...


There actually are good reasons for both of these. Houses usually have a walkway to the front door and a driveway for the car.

Parkways were originally designed to take people to parks, they were the "way to the park". On Long Island, where I grew up, the parkways do lead to parks, although today that is often overlooked. All state parks should be reachable by a parkway. I believe the State parks in NJ can also be reached by parkways.

When I worked in Queens NY I came across a one way, dead end street. I was a through street until a carwash went in on the cross street. Residents complained about all the traffic it created. The city blocked the entrance to the street by putting a sidewalk across it, but never made it a 2 way street. Like the song says, New York, New York ... it's a hell of a town!

---

| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 18:56:31   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
Bill_de wrote:
There actually are good reasons for both of these. Houses usually have a walkway to the front door and a driveway for the car.

Parkways were originally designed to take people to parks, they were the "way to the park". On Long Island, where I grew up, the parkways do lead to parks, although today that is often overlooked. All state parks should be reachable by a parkway. I believe the State parks in NJ can also be reached by parkways.

When I worked in Queens NY I came across a one way, dead end street. I was a through street until a carwash went in on the cross street. Residents complained about all the traffic it created. The city blocked the entrance to the street by putting a sidewalk across it, but never made it a 2 way street. Like the song says, New York, New York ... it's a hell of a town!

---
There actually are good reasons for both of these.... (show quote)

What a way to ruin a good joke.....
Details.

(Thanks for the info.)

| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 19:06:51   #
Bill_de Loc: US
 
Longshadow wrote:
What a way to ruin a good joke.....
Details.

(Thanks for the info.)


You gotta admit, as a joke it was getting pretty long in the tooth.

---

| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 19:11:49   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
Bill_de wrote:
You gotta admit, as a joke it was getting pretty long in the tooth.

---

Good old standbys.
You know, the ones we heard so long ago we fell off out dinosaurs.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.