Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Challenge: Intentional Camera Movement (ICM) Jan 25-27, 2021
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 next>>
Jan 24, 2021 19:50:09   #
PAToGraphy Loc: Portland ME area
 
The last week in January ALREADY. Have a great trip, Larry! And thanks to the hosters this past week - RR and Katspangle.

This challenge may be something new for some of you.

Intentional Camera Movement (ICM) is a technique in which the camera is moved as the image is taken: Panning, zooms, rotation of camera, vertical/horizontal movement, belt buckle or hip level, overhead, camera facing down - creativity has no limit. Check out the work of ANDREW GRAY and his YouTube videos - his creations are breath taking. ICM may not be for you but do try it. It’s a fun way to create abstract art with your camera. Many ICM images have an “impressionistic” look.

TIPS
Use a longer shutter speed allowing time to move the camera.
Consider aperture. You will need to use a smaller aperture in daylight (22-32) or an ND filter (which I don’t have) You can also use a “slow shutter” smartphone app, which you’ll see used over the next days.
Look for backgrounds with some color and “light and dark”

So, go ahead - move that camera, rotate it, move it every which way and create something wild and crazy
Rotation at belt buckle level
Rotation at belt buckle level...
(Download)
Played with color - these are trees in snow at a river's edge
Played with color - these are trees in snow at a r...
(Download)
Vertical - landscape
Vertical - landscape...
(Download)
Horizontal - historic building
Horizontal - historic building...
(Download)

| Reply
Jan 24, 2021 21:37:06   #
Photogirl17 Loc: Glenwood, Ark.
 
PAToGraphy wrote:
The last week in January ALREADY. Have a great trip, Larry! And thanks to the hosters this past week - RR and Katspangle.

This challenge may be something new for some of you.

Intentional Camera Movement (ICM) is a technique in which the camera is moved as the image is taken: Panning, zooms, rotation of camera, vertical/horizontal movement, belt buckle or hip level, overhead, camera facing down - creativity has no limit. Check out the work of ANDREW GRAY and his YouTube videos - his creations are breath taking. ICM may not be for you but do try it. It’s a fun way to create abstract art with your camera. Many ICM images have an “impressionistic” look.

TIPS
Use a longer shutter speed allowing time to move the camera.
Consider aperture. You will need to use a smaller aperture in daylight (22-32) or an ND filter (which I don’t have) You can also use a “slow shutter” smartphone app, which you’ll see used over the next days.
Look for backgrounds with some color and “light and dark”

So, go ahead - move that camera, rotate it, move it every which way and create something wild and crazy
The last week in January ALREADY. Have a great tri... (show quote)


Wonderful examples and Lead in Pat..

| Reply
Jan 24, 2021 21:52:07   #
Photogirl17 Loc: Glenwood, Ark.
 
ICM
Horizontal Camera movement, moved the camera the easy way I was on a Train..


(Download)

| Reply
 
 
Jan 24, 2021 23:06:03   #
PAToGraphy Loc: Portland ME area
 
Photogirl17 wrote:
ICM
Horizontal Camera movement, moved the camera the easy way I was on a Train..



| Reply
Jan 24, 2021 23:21:05   #
Photogirl17 Loc: Glenwood, Ark.
 
PAToGraphy wrote:


Just had to throw that one in..lol

| Reply
Jan 25, 2021 05:30:31   #
Bbarn Loc: Ohio
 
Posted before, but it would seem to fit the challenge. She loves to run.



| Reply
Jan 25, 2021 08:03:26   #
cedymock Loc: Irmo, South Carolina
 
PAToGraphy wrote:
The last week in January ALREADY. Have a great trip, Larry! And thanks to the hosters this past week - RR and Katspangle.

This challenge may be something new for some of you.

Intentional Camera Movement (ICM) is a technique in which the camera is moved as the image is taken: Panning, zooms, rotation of camera, vertical/horizontal movement, belt buckle or hip level, overhead, camera facing down - creativity has no limit. Check out the work of ANDREW GRAY and his YouTube videos - his creations are breath taking. ICM may not be for you but do try it. It’s a fun way to create abstract art with your camera. Many ICM images have an “impressionistic” look.

TIPS
Use a longer shutter speed allowing time to move the camera.
Consider aperture. You will need to use a smaller aperture in daylight (22-32) or an ND filter (which I don’t have) You can also use a “slow shutter” smartphone app, which you’ll see used over the next days.
Look for backgrounds with some color and “light and dark”

So, go ahead - move that camera, rotate it, move it every which way and create something wild and crazy
The last week in January ALREADY. Have a great tri... (show quote)


One I sent to my grandchildren at Christmas; Tree Explosion


(Download)

| Reply
 
 
Jan 25, 2021 08:07:23   #
PAToGraphy Loc: Portland ME area
 
Bbarn wrote:
Posted before, but it would seem to fit the challenge. She loves to run.


p.1 I can tell she's a runner. And a cute one at that. Were you panning?

| Reply
Jan 25, 2021 08:07:59   #
PAToGraphy Loc: Portland ME area
 
cedymock wrote:
One I sent to my grandchildren at Christmas; Tree Explosion


p.1 Those are so fun to do.

| Reply
Jan 25, 2021 08:13:56   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 
I must be missing something, for I have never understood the point behind intentional camera movement. They just look like mistakes to me. Can someone enlighten me?
I’m not knocking the technique at all; I just don’t get it.

| Reply
Jan 25, 2021 08:18:16   #
PAToGraphy Loc: Portland ME area
 
These are Zoom Blurs - created by zooming the barrel in or out while shutter is open. Some editing programs have creative zoom filters to achieve similar effects. Zoom blur can be used when background is cluttered and you want focus to be primarily on one thing.







| Reply
 
 
Jan 25, 2021 08:20:37   #
PAToGraphy Loc: Portland ME area
 
jaymatt wrote:
I must be missing something, for I have never understood the point behind intentional camera movement. They just look like mistakes to me. Can someone enlighten me?
I’m not knocking the technique at all; I just don’t get it.


It's another way of creating a different kind of art with a camera. Please see PM

| Reply
Jan 25, 2021 08:57:49   #
Bbarn Loc: Ohio
 
PAToGraphy wrote:
p.1 I can tell she's a runner. And a cute one at that. Were you panning?


Yes, my original intent was panning in hopes she would be fairly clear. I took several but they all came out pretty much like this. I wanted the background to indicate movement (by panning) but I was hoping she would be sharper. I guess she just had too much movement. I didn't want to go faster on the shutter since I didn't want the background frozen. Oh, and the cocked image was because the camera was tilted, something I wasn't aware of as I tried to capture her.

| Reply
Jan 25, 2021 09:38:01   #
PAToGraphy Loc: Portland ME area
 
Bbarn wrote:
Yes, my original intent was panning in hopes she would be fairly clear. I took several but they all came out pretty much like this. I wanted the background to indicate movement (by panning) but I was hoping she would be sharper. I guess she just had too much movement. I didn't want to go faster on the shutter since I didn't want the background frozen. Oh, and the cocked image was because the camera was tilted, something I wasn't aware of as I tried to capture her.


Panning is very very hard (I think) Don't give up. Were you using AFC (Auto focus continuous) which would keep focusing on her as she moved? (I haven't done well with that, but I keep trying). The background should still blur. I'd use Hi continuous shutter too in hopes that I'd get at least one good shot. If the camera is focused on her the shutter speed should capture her in better focus while leaving the background blurred. Some articles suggest using shutter priority mode and experimenting with different shutter speeds. Maybe someone else has additional tips. I'm betting this little one would be more than happy to run some more for you!

| Reply
Jan 25, 2021 10:17:40   #
Rick from NY Loc: Metro NYC
 
Does subject movement qualify for this contest? Here is one of my personal faves. Koi pond at Selby Gardens in Sarasota FL.



| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.