Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Crestview Florida.....???
Page: 1 2 next>>
Jan 12, 2021 13:35:53   #
Tom DePuy Loc: Waxhaw, NC...Just east of Charlotte
 
I'am going to have to travel to Crestview Fla. this week for a family emergency.
Actually driving my wife's cousin down to see her son who is deathly ill, and she is to upset to drive herself so I'am doing the driving for her.
Only going to be a few days, I was just wondering if anyone knew what that area was like.
Also, I well be taking my camera with me, "as it always is with me anyway".
Looking at maps, I know it is not far from Destin, which I understand is beautiful.
Hoping to maybe get out for a little bit to maybe to get a few photographs while I'm in town, but it is not the purpose of the trip tho.

Tom

| Reply
Jan 12, 2021 13:53:46   #
PixelStan77 Loc: Vermont/Chicago
 
Tom DePuy wrote:
I'am going to have to travel to Crestview Fla. this week for a family emergency.
Actually driving my wife's cousin down to see her son who is deathly ill, and she is to upset to drive herself so I'am doing the driving for her.
Only going to be a few days, I was just wondering if anyone knew what that area was like.
Also, I well be taking my camera with me, "as it always is with me anyway".
Looking at maps, I know it is not far from Destin, which I understand is beautiful.
Hoping to maybe get out for a little bit to maybe to get a few photographs while I'm in town, but it is not the purpose of the trip tho.

Tom
I'am going to have to travel to Crestview Fla. thi... (show quote)


Safe travels.

| Reply
Jan 12, 2021 13:53:55   #
Mac Loc: Hernando County Florida
 
Tom DePuy wrote:
I'am going to have to travel to Crestview Fla. this week for a family emergency.
Actually driving my wife's cousin down to see her son who is deathly ill, and she is to upset to drive herself so I'am doing the driving for her.
Only going to be a few days, I was just wondering if anyone knew what that area was like.
Also, I well be taking my camera with me, "as it always is with me anyway".
Looking at maps, I know it is not far from Destin, which I understand is beautiful.
Hoping to maybe get out for a little bit to maybe to get a few photographs while I'm in town, but it is not the purpose of the trip tho.

Tom
I'am going to have to travel to Crestview Fla. thi... (show quote)


You won’t be far from Pensacola, that’s where the Navel Aviation History Museum is located. It’s very interesting and has many different types of aircraft on display. If you go look for the models of my ship USS Forrestal. And be sure to watch the movie of the Forrestal fire.

| Reply
 
 
Jan 12, 2021 14:08:37   #
johngault007 Loc: Florida Panhandle
 
Tom,
While I do not frequent that area much, anywhere along the coast around Destin is gorgeous. This time of year the water is void of most algae and very clear. If you are in the Destin area, you can follow Highway 98 West and get to the Gulf Islands National Seashore area near Fort Walton Beach/Navarre area. Traveling even further east will put you on Pensacola Beach, which may or may not be cleaned up from this past storm season we just had.


Some additional tips/tricks I've discovered with the very white sand of the Gulf Coast:
1. Blue Hour and the early part of Golden Hour are absolutely beautiful. You will probably need a tripod at this time of day, but the colors you can get reflected off the sand are amazing and very soft/warm. I typically head out to the beach just before blue hour and scout out whatever I will be focusing on. Sometimes is a unique dune feature, or maybe driftwood in just the right spot. Once you start seeing that shift between blue/golden hour, just before the sun pokes up above the horizon...that's where some of the most beautiful colors seem to really come through.

2. Golden hour is great for the fauna/flora along the beaches. After I get those great colors from tip #1, I shift to walking around a bit. In my part of the coast (Perdido Key area), there (were) some very interesting dune shapes from wind drift and plant life. The great thing about that area is Gulf Islands National Seashore extended up to where I am, we have the beach side, and the lagoon side (Big Lagoon). The habitat is less interrupted by the human element on the lagoon side, so walking around and capturing early morning shots of the Heron that inhabit this area is an easy task. And they aren't as spooked by humans as other places, so you can get fairly close.

3. Cloudy days DO exist in Florida! I haven't really found much to do on the beaches when its overcast, but if there are coastal areas with any amount of larger driftwood, it does make for a unique opportunity to get out in the middle of the day without worrying about direct light. In my opinion, this is the perfect setup for a lot of B&W experimenting.


That's probably more than asked for. But those are some of the things, in my opinion, greatly enhance the Gulf Coast experience.

| Reply
Jan 12, 2021 14:12:04   #
johngault007 Loc: Florida Panhandle
 
Mac wrote:
You won’t be far from Pensacola, that’s where the Navel Aviation History Museum is located. It’s very interesting and has many different types of aircraft on display. If you go look for the models of my ship USS Forrestal. And be sure to watch the movie of the Forrestal fire.


The base has been closed to the public since last December, so it may be a bit challenging to get on base. Here's an excerpt from the MWR/Museum website:

The National Naval Aviation Museum is located on board NAS Pensacola. Access to the air station and therefore the museum is limited to all holders of current Department of Defense (DoD) ID. Under the Trusted Traveler Program, he/she may escort up to 15 guests (limited to two vehicles, including the vehicle with the DoD ID card holder). Defense Biometric Identification System (DBID) cards will still be recognized for access, but holders cannot sponsor/escort. All non-DoD ID card holder adults being escorted must have an acceptable form of identification, which may include a local or regional DoD credential, REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, passport, Travel Workers Identification Card (TWIC), Veterans Health Identification Card (VHIC) or Federal Person Identity Verification (PIV).

| Reply
Jan 12, 2021 14:20:16   #
Mac Loc: Hernando County Florida
 
johngault007 wrote:
The base has been closed to the public since last December, so it may be a bit challenging to get on base. Here's an excerpt from the MWR/Museum website:

The National Naval Aviation Museum is located on board NAS Pensacola. Access to the air station and therefore the museum is limited to all holders of current Department of Defense (DoD) ID. Under the Trusted Traveler Program, he/she may escort up to 15 guests (limited to two vehicles, including the vehicle with the DoD ID card holder). Defense Biometric Identification System (DBID) cards will still be recognized for access, but holders cannot sponsor/escort. All non-DoD ID card holder adults being escorted must have an acceptable form of identification, which may include a local or regional DoD credential, REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, passport, Travel Workers Identification Card (TWIC), Veterans Health Identification Card (VHIC) or Federal Person Identity Verification (PIV).
The base has been closed to the public since last ... (show quote)


Thanks for that information John, I wasn’t aware it was closed. Too bad because it’s a nice place to visit.

| Reply
Jan 13, 2021 06:51:57   #
Julian Loc: Sarasota, FL
 
Tom DePuy wrote:
I'am going to have to travel to Crestview Fla. this week for a family emergency.
Actually driving my wife's cousin down to see her son who is deathly ill, and she is to upset to drive herself so I'am doing the driving for her.
Only going to be a few days, I was just wondering if anyone knew what that area was like.
Also, I well be taking my camera with me, "as it always is with me anyway".
Looking at maps, I know it is not far from Destin, which I understand is beautiful.
Hoping to maybe get out for a little bit to maybe to get a few photographs while I'm in town, but it is not the purpose of the trip tho.

Tom
I'am going to have to travel to Crestview Fla. thi... (show quote)


I thought you were traveling for an emergency...

| Reply
 
 
Jan 13, 2021 07:29:04   #
Tom DePuy Loc: Waxhaw, NC...Just east of Charlotte
 
Julian wrote:
I thought you were traveling for an emergency...


I'm driving relative down that is having a family emergency

| Reply
Jan 13, 2021 09:13:21   #
Julian Loc: Sarasota, FL
 
Tom DePuy wrote:
I'm driving relative down that is having a family emergency


I see.

| Reply
Jan 13, 2021 14:00:53   #
charles tabb Loc: Richmond VA.
 
Tom DePuy wrote:
I'am going to have to travel to Crestview Fla. this week for a family emergency.
Actually driving my wife's cousin down to see her son who is deathly ill, and she is to upset to drive herself so I'am doing the driving for her.
Only going to be a few days, I was just wondering if anyone knew what that area was like.
Also, I well be taking my camera with me, "as it always is with me anyway".
Looking at maps, I know it is not far from Destin, which I understand is beautiful.
Hoping to maybe get out for a little bit to maybe to get a few photographs while I'm in town, but it is not the purpose of the trip tho.

Tom
I'am going to have to travel to Crestview Fla. thi... (show quote)


I was stationed at Eglin AFB very near Destin for 4 years from 58 to 62.
It has the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen in my life.
The sand is as white as table salt and the gulf is emerald green.
While there I even got snow blindness from the sand.
I had to go out on Santa Rosa Island then to work for some time.
A bunch of years ago I took my wife there to show it to her.
I think you will enjoy your trip.

| Reply
Jan 13, 2021 23:41:14   #
Tom DePuy Loc: Waxhaw, NC...Just east of Charlotte
 
Well, we had to head to Florida 1 day earlier than originally planned, as my wife's cousins son was taking a turn for the worse. Unfortunately about 2 hours into our 9 hour drive she got a phone call saying that he had just passed away. Really made for a long drive.

| Reply
 
 
Jan 14, 2021 12:34:18   #
Latsok Loc: California
 
Not much in Crestview but its not too far away from Niceville, Ft Walton Beach, Destin, and the sugar-white sandy beaches all along the Coast from Panama City to Pensacola and beyond. The area is b beautiful with nice vistas on the Bayous surrounded by huge oak trees with Spanish moss, fishing boats, quaint little towns like Valparaiso, etc. If you're into military history or aircraft, Eglin AFB, Hurlburt Field (in Ft Walton Beach) have a couple of air parks and air museums, as well as a little further away Naval air museum in Pensacola. BTW: Pensacola is the home of Navy's Blue Angels, and there is also a quaint "old town Pensacola" worth strolling through, getting a few beers. Be sure to stop for dinner at McGuire's Irish Pub. You can order a "Garbage Burger" - a treat you will never forget. By all means take your camera.
Sunsets on the Gulf of Mexico can be stunning. Eat lots of oysters on the half shell along the beaches in Destin. You won't regret exploring the entire stretch of the coast from Fort Pickens (on the west, by Pensacola) to the unique "little houses" community in Sunset beach to the East. Enjoy.

| Reply
Jan 14, 2021 13:15:53   #
johngault007 Loc: Florida Panhandle
 
Latsok wrote:
Not much in Crestview but its not too far away from Niceville, Ft Walton Beach, Destin, and the sugar-white sandy beaches all along the Coast from Panama City to Pensacola and beyond. The area is b beautiful with nice vistas on the Bayous surrounded by huge oak trees with Spanish moss, fishing boats, quaint little towns like Valparaiso, etc. If you're into military history or aircraft, Eglin AFB, Hurlburt Field (in Ft Walton Beach) have a couple of air parks and air museums, as well as a little further away Naval air museum in Pensacola. BTW: Pensacola is the home of Navy's Blue Angels, and there is also a quaint "old town Pensacola" worth strolling through, getting a few beers. Be sure to stop for dinner at McGuire's Irish Pub. You can order a "Garbage Burger" - a treat you will never forget. By all means take your camera.
Sunsets on the Gulf of Mexico can be stunning. Eat lots of oysters on the half shell along the beaches in Destin. You won't regret exploring the entire stretch of the coast from Fort Pickens (on the west, by Pensacola) to the unique "little houses" community in Sunset beach to the East. Enjoy.
Not much in Crestview but its not too far away fro... (show quote)


Don't waste a great trip to Maguire's on a burger...you have to go for the Smoked Prime Rib, Ribeye, or one of the more 'Irish' type dishes....

Actually, pretty much everything there is amazing.

| Reply
Jan 14, 2021 18:03:52   #
Latsok Loc: California
 
johngault007 wrote:
Don't waste a great trip to Maguire's on a burger...you have to go for the Smoked Prime Rib, Ribeye, or one of the more 'Irish' type dishes....

Actually, pretty much everything there is amazing.


I agree that Maguire has a great menu and almost everything is tasty, but the garbage burger IS UNIQUE. They pile a bit of every food stuff they have in the kitchen that day on top of a burger band serve that monstrocity. Its something you'll never forget!

| Reply
Jan 14, 2021 18:21:18   #
Tom DePuy Loc: Waxhaw, NC...Just east of Charlotte
 
johngault007 wrote:
Don't waste a great trip to Maguire's on a burger...you have to go for the Smoked Prime Rib, Ribeye, or one of the more 'Irish' type dishes....

Actually, pretty much everything there is amazing.


We actually just left Maguire's.
And I am actually going to have it again... ..
As I was unable to finish it all, so I well be having leftovers later, but the appetizers may be the reason for that though....Cockels and Mussels along with an order of Paddy's Spinach and artichoke and cream cheese dip with the homemade Tortilla Chips

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.