Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Quick release recommendation gor quick release for tripod heads
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Jan 11, 2021 14:15:28   #
Drbobcameraguy Loc: Eaton Ohio
 
I'm looking for a quick release for my tripod and monopod so I can change heads quickly. I don't want to spend a fortune but obliviously I want something reliable. Any recommendations besides RRS.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2021 14:28:22   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
I've been using Arca-Swiss hardware for years. Very reliable and durable.
Tripod side - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/342302-REG/Arca_Swiss_802010_Quick_Release_with_Flip_lock.html?sts=pi&pim=Y
Camera side - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391058-REG/Arca_Swiss_802208_Square_Camera_Plate_1_4.html
--Bob
Drbobcameraguy wrote:
I'm looking for a quick release for my tripod and monopod so I can change heads quickly. I don't want to spend a fortune but obliviously I want something reliable. Any recommendations besides RRS.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2021 14:49:49   #
cjc2 Loc: Hellertown PA
 
IMHO, RRS is simply the best. Check for others on B&H. Best of luck.

| Reply
 
 
Jan 11, 2021 16:53:51   #
Gene51 Loc: Yonkers, NY, now in LSD (LowerSlowerDelaware)
 
Drbobcameraguy wrote:
I'm looking for a quick release for my tripod and monopod so I can change heads quickly. I don't want to spend a fortune but obliviously I want something reliable. Any recommendations besides RRS.


To my knowledge, only RRS has a quick release head. There are literally dozens of mfgrs that make quick release clamps. So I would recommend getting two heads, one for the tripod, preferably a good ball head and a different head for your monopod - one that allows up/down movement but not lateral movement - like either of these:

https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/compose-post-screen?topicnum=681404&rpostnum=11902315&quote=true

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripod-Monopod-Panoramic-Geared-Head-with-Arca-Swiss-Quick-Release-Plate-Clamp/163954359137?hash=item262c70fb61:g:ZLUAAOSwr0Rd1lrI

The thinking here is that most of the time you will be attaching the camera to the head, so a vertical tilt is all you need. But sometimes you may want to attach a longer lens that has a tripod collar. In this case, you'd have to attach the lens to the head, but you'd have the head rotated 90° so your movement would not be up and down but rather changing the horizon. Being able to rotate the clamp 90° would give you that extra flexibility.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2021 17:19:07   #
Drbobcameraguy Loc: Eaton Ohio
 
Gene51 wrote:
To my knowledge, only RRS has a quick release head. There are literally dozens of mfgrs that make quick release clamps. So I would recommend getting two heads, one for the tripod, preferably a good ball head and a different head for your monopod - one that allows up/down movement but not lateral movement - like either of these:

https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/compose-post-screen?topicnum=681404&rpostnum=11902315&quote=true

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripod-Monopod-Panoramic-Geared-Head-with-Arca-Swiss-Quick-Release-Plate-Clamp/163954359137?hash=item262c70fb61:g:ZLUAAOSwr0Rd1lrI

The thinking here is that most of the time you will be attaching the camera to the head, so a vertical tilt is all you need. But sometimes you may want to attach a longer lens that has a tripod collar. In this case, you'd have to attach the lens to the head, but you'd have the head rotated 90° so your movement would not be up and down but rather changing the horizon. Being able to rotate the clamp 90° would give you that extra flexibility.
To my knowledge, only RRS has a quick release b h... (show quote)


I was wanting a quick release plate to put on my heads to be able to change the geads faster and easier.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2021 18:03:38   #
E.L.. Shapiro Loc: Ottawa, Ontario Canada
 
Most of the quick-release mechanisms I have experience with are designed to quickly remove and replace CAMERAS on the tripod and NOT for quickly alternating heads on the tripod.

Depending on the weight of the head, plus the weight of the camera a lens, I wonder if there is such a mechanism that will support and stabilize such a load. If you could find one that will handle that kind of weight, you will need the base or receiving shoe or clamp and a corresponding foot for each of your heads.

As for heads, I use various older Manfrotto ball and standard pan and tilt models, all of which are quite heavy- that is why I bring this issue up. . When I attached them via the screw and socket there is a sufficient surface between the bottom of each head and the platform atop the tripod elevator column to help support the load.

You might need to rig somethg up with washers or spacers to balance the load on the platform.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2021 18:06:02   #
Drbobcameraguy Loc: Eaton Ohio
 
E.L.. Shapiro wrote:
Most of the quick-release mechanisms I have experience with are designed to quickly remove and replace CAMERAS on the tripod and NOT for quickly alternating heads on the tripod.

Depending on the weight of the head, plus the weight of the camera a lens, I wonder if there is such a mechanism that will support and stabilize such a load. If you could find one that will handle that kind of weight, you will need the base or receiving shoe or clamp and a corresponding foot for each of your heads.

As for heads, I use various older Manfrotto ball and standard pan and tilt models, all of which are quite heavy- that is why I bring this issue up. . When I attached them via the screw and socket there is a sufficient surface between the bottom of each head and the platform atop the tripod elevator column to help support the load.

You might need to rig somethg up with washers or spacers to balance the load on the platform.
Most of the quick-release mechanisms I have experi... (show quote)


I got the idea from Steve at Backcountry gallery. He uses RRS. I was looking for other options also. It seems to work very well for him. Lol

| Reply
 
 
Jan 11, 2021 18:12:11   #
cjc2 Loc: Hellertown PA
 
RRS is what I would use for this as well; however, I don't changes heads often enough to worry about this. Steve gives VERY good advice IMHO. Remember, you system will only be as good as its weakest piece. Best of luck.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2021 18:32:56   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
Look at Kirk for a reasonable RRS substitute. Look at ebay for used versions. These are all just metal parts, who cares if they're used or even scratched up a bit, if you can get them for a lower price.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2021 18:35:08   #
Drbobcameraguy Loc: Eaton Ohio
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
Look at Kirk for a reasonable RRS substitute. Look at ebay for used versions. These are all just metal parts, who cares if they're used or even scratched up a bit, if you can get them for a lower price.


Exactly what I thought. RRS makes good stuff but the price for a simple machined piece of metal is pretty high. Lol. Thanks.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2021 19:41:23   #
imagemeister Loc: Stuart, Florida
 
What I use and recommend - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manfrotto-625-RC0-Hexagonal-Quick-Release-Adapter-Set-3296-Mfr-625/110934627220?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

IF, you can find one - very scarce now ....

I would never consider a simple A/S clamp !
.

| Reply
 
 
Jan 11, 2021 22:16:31   #
Gene51 Loc: Yonkers, NY, now in LSD (LowerSlowerDelaware)
 
imagemeister wrote:
What I use and recommend - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manfrotto-625-RC0-Hexagonal-Quick-Release-Adapter-Set-3296-Mfr-625/110934627220?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

IF, you can find one - very scarce now ....

I would never consider a simple A/S clamp !
.


Both Adorama and B&H have them for $74. No need to order from Israel.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2021 22:34:13   #
ahudina Loc: Browns Point, WA
 
Drbobcameraguy wrote:
I'm looking for a quick release for my tripod and monopod so I can change heads quickly. I don't want to spend a fortune but obliviously I want something reliable. Any recommendations besides RRS.


Try ProMedia gear, great quality, reasonable but not cheap I have one of their quick release clamps on each of my 2 tripods and Kirk plates on 3 different heads. Combination works great.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2021 22:51:47   #
Gene51 Loc: Yonkers, NY, now in LSD (LowerSlowerDelaware)
 
Drbobcameraguy wrote:
I was wanting a quick release plate to put on my heads to be able to change the geads faster and easier.


RRS sells a leveling base + clamp that does exactly what you need, but it is not cheap. They also make a panning base + clamp (no leveling) that is a little less costly.

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/ta-2u-leveling-base

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/pc-lr

You can piece something together using SunwayFoto products, but while less costly, they are serviceable, but lack the fit and finish of RRS equipment:

https://www.adorama.com/sunddh05.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAi_D_BRApEiwASslbJ3GL_szvdJiPv_okzZz0hM7YOwXzoB_YLuenywMqKLkZh0RHsBfsPRoCySIQAvD_BwE&utm_source=adl-gbase

or without the fluid damping:

https://www.adorama.com/sunddh07n.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAi_D_BRApEiwASslbJxxFksykuO8b1i0gH2HVitR2BO-gEwZqUHMaIqutHvr21pY3ZWrWRBoCxscQAvD_BwE&utm_source=adl-gbase&br=1

Regardless of what you end up with as a clamp on the tripod, you'll still need to get a head with an Arca-Swiss dovetail plate, or attach a plate to each of your existing heads.

Or you can go with the non-standard Manfrotto setup. I think the SunwayFoto solution is as good if not better, and uses a more widely used Arca-Swiss clamp and plate.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2021 22:52:24   #
imagemeister Loc: Stuart, Florida
 
imagemeister wrote:
What I use and recommend - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manfrotto-625-RC0-Hexagonal-Quick-Release-Adapter-Set-3296-Mfr-625/110934627220?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

IF, you can find one - very scarce now ....

I would never consider a simple A/S clamp !
.


I also use and recommend the 3/8 screw option at all connection points BTW ....

SIZE matters for the support of HEADS ....
.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.