Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
I am having problems with Green Grass/ shrubs cause distortion with my photos
Page: 1 2 next>>
Sep 26, 2020 10:34:09   #
jdtonkinson Loc: Green Valley, AZ
 
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on how to correct this.
It is a recurring issue for me. If there are green grass or shrubs etc on the edge of my photos, the color tends to "bleed into" the photo.

It doesn't happen every time....but often enough. It gets frustrating.
I've tried using haze reduction in PS Elements and other techniques. Sometimes I have to crop the photos very close to eliminate the effects.

I have a Nikon P950, and mostly use the "Bird" scene mode

Is it something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice/ suggestions.

Jim


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

| Reply
Sep 26, 2020 10:54:29   #
frankraney Loc: Clovis, Ca. For the last 50 years.
 
jdtonkinson wrote:
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on how to correct this.
It is a recurring issue for me. If there are green grass or shrubs etc on the edge of my photos, the color tends to "bleed into" the photo.

It doesn't happen every time....but often enough. It gets frustrating.
I've tried using haze reduction in PS Elements and other techniques. Sometimes I have to crop the photos very close to eliminate the effects.

I have a Nikon P950, and mostly use the "Bird" scene mode

Is it something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice/ suggestions.

Jim
Hi, br I'm hoping someone can give me some advice ... (show quote)


I do not see any "bleeding". What I see is greenery close and out of focus. To me it appears that sometimes when you shoot you have greenery up close that's out of focus. Try double-checking and make sure that nothing is between you and what you're photographing.. and see if you still get it.

| Reply
Sep 26, 2020 10:56:18   #
bleirer
 
Do you have a lens protection filter on? Are you using a lens hood? Take the first off and put the second on.

| Reply
 
 
Sep 26, 2020 11:01:23   #
jdtonkinson Loc: Green Valley, AZ
 
frankraney wrote:
I do not see any "bleeding". What I see is greenery close and out of focus. To me it appears that sometimes when you shoot you have greenery up close that's out of focus. Try double-checking and make sure that nothing is between you and what you're photographing.. and see if you still get it.


OK I agree it often happens when there are bushes/grass etc in the fore grown that I'm not focusing on.

I'll trying moving my camera to try to get a better shot.

| Reply
Sep 26, 2020 11:03:01   #
jdtonkinson Loc: Green Valley, AZ
 
bleirer wrote:
Do you have a lens protection filter on? Are you using a lens hood? Take the first off and put the second on.


I have a UV Filter, and a lens hood on. I changed to a different type of lens hood the other day, and didn't notice this effect as much since.

So you think I should remove the uv filter?

thank you for your advice.

| Reply
Sep 26, 2020 11:08:52   #
bleirer
 
jdtonkinson wrote:
I have a UV Filter, and a lens hood on. I changed to a different type of lens hood the other day, and didn't notice this effect as much since.

So you think I should remove the uv filter?

thank you for your advice.


That second shot could be reflection off the uv glass. The others look like out of focus areas from nearer objects, they grow bigger the more out of focus they are.

| Reply
Sep 26, 2020 11:11:18   #
jdtonkinson Loc: Green Valley, AZ
 
bleirer wrote:
That second shot could be reflection off the uv glass. The others look like out of focus areas from nearer objects, the grow bigger the more out of focus they are.


Ok...thank you for your advice. I may try removing the UV Filter. the other issue , I'll try to be more aware of what I'm focusing on, and what is in the fore grown.

I am trying to keep the main subject in focus.

I am somewhat new at this, so I am trying to learn as I go.

thanks

Jim

| Reply
 
 
Sep 26, 2020 11:49:06   #
bleirer
 
jdtonkinson wrote:
Ok...thank you for your advice. I may try removing the UV Filter. the other issue , I'll try to be more aware of what I'm focusing on, and what is in the fore grown.

I am trying to keep the main subject in focus.

I am somewhat new at this, so I am trying to learn as I go.

thanks

Jim


You don't have to use the center focus point. The subject could be off center for a pleasing composition and you can move to another focus point.

| Reply
Sep 26, 2020 13:00:24   #
R.G. Loc: Scotland
 
frankraney wrote:
....What I see is greenery close and out of focus. To me it appears that sometimes when you shoot you have greenery up close that's out of focus......


. That's all I'm seeing too.

| Reply
Sep 26, 2020 13:17:47   #
DanielB Loc: San Diego, Ca
 
frankraney wrote:
I do not see any "bleeding". What I see is greenery close and out of focus. To me it appears that sometimes when you shoot you have greenery up close that's out of focus. Try double-checking and make sure that nothing is between you and what you're photographing.. and see if you still get it.


That's what I'm seeing. Don't shoot through the bushes if you don't like the effect.

| Reply
Sep 26, 2020 14:29:31   #
jdtonkinson Loc: Green Valley, AZ
 
DanielB wrote:
That's what I'm seeing. Don't shoot through the bushes if you don't like the effect.


Ok thanks for your input. I will make an effort to do so.

| Reply
 
 
Sep 26, 2020 14:29:48   #
jdtonkinson Loc: Green Valley, AZ
 
R.G. wrote:
. That's all I'm seeing too.


Thanks for your input.



Jim

| Reply
Sep 27, 2020 05:59:50   #
Wanda Krack Loc: Tennessee, USA
 
It's leaves or bushes or greenery between your camera and what you are focused on. Actually, there are folks out there who shoot using this out of focus greenery as somewhat of an artsy effect, or as a frame for the subject that is in focus. But, your shots show, to me, foliage between the camera and the subject, and it is out of focus.

| Reply
Sep 27, 2020 09:56:27   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
There is nothing you're doing that is wrong, at least in the initial exposure. As also suggested, it has nothing to do with focus, DOF, or filters, either. It's more of a technical issue.

For lack of a better term, it has to do with environmental hue. Our eyes tend to adjust to this whereas the camera catches what is there. In these cases, the light is filtered through the green foliage and thus has a green effect to the photos. I did an arithmetic average of the RG and B components of the images and they were all biased towards the green. That is something you'll have to take into consideration during processing.

Here's one I corrected. You can do a comparison and see the slight difference by compensating for the abundance of green in the photo.
--Bob

jdtonkinson wrote:
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on how to correct this.
It is a recurring issue for me. If there are green grass or shrubs etc on the edge of my photos, the color tends to "bleed into" the photo.

It doesn't happen every time....but often enough. It gets frustrating.
I've tried using haze reduction in PS Elements and other techniques. Sometimes I have to crop the photos very close to eliminate the effects.

I have a Nikon P950, and mostly use the "Bird" scene mode

Is it something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice/ suggestions.

Jim
Hi, br I'm hoping someone can give me some advice ... (show quote)


(Download)

| Reply
Sep 27, 2020 15:05:30   #
Flyerace Loc: Racine, WI
 
Jd, I took the big leap and removed my UV filter over two years ago. My photos have improved. The one thing I have ALWAYS had on my camera is my lens hood. You aren't as likely to walk into a sharp object that could damage the lens, but drop the camera or bang it up against something that could scratch the lens. I have done neither. The lens hood is one of the best safety items ever constructed for camera protection.

When I bought my first Nikon FTN (made out of all metal), I had the lens hood on when someone crashed into me and sent the camera flying. I was at the top of the stairs in Marble House in Newport, Rhode Island.
That camera went flying down the stairs. I thought it was a goner. I ran down the stairs and picked up my camera and all that happened was the lens hood had a little dent in it. The camera and the lens wers just fine. I kept a lens hood on my camera lens every day since. Not taking any chances, ever.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.