Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Telling a story
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
Jul 30, 2020 20:17:28   #
BrentHarder Loc: Southern California
 
I think this photo is Telling a story..........it has a fantasy quality about it. There is something very appealing about it to me.
Of course it looks best in download mode.


(Download)

| Reply
Jul 30, 2020 20:50:09   #
Drip Dry McFleye
 
I really like the composition. Definitely an example of a photo that tells a story.

| Reply
Jul 30, 2020 20:50:34   #
Cany143 Loc: SE Utah
 
Sometimes a fine image is just a fine image, 'story' or not.

And this is a very fine image, Brent.

| Reply
Jul 30, 2020 20:59:34   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
Please educate me, I never see stories in any type of art.
Do I make my own interpretive story?
How do I know if I'm right?

Is she telling the kid "This is where you'll wind up if you don't behave!"?
or "This is where we get our fish from."?

| Reply
Jul 30, 2020 21:37:13   #
BrentHarder Loc: Southern California
 
Drip Dry McFleye wrote:
I really like the composition. Definitely an example of a photo that tells a story.


Thanks for your thoughts on this image Drip Dry!

| Reply
Jul 30, 2020 21:38:13   #
BrentHarder Loc: Southern California
 
Cany143 wrote:
Sometimes a fine image is just a fine image, 'story' or not.

And this is a very fine image, Brent.


Cany143, I appreciate your ideas that this is a very fine image. It's great to be accepted by my peers!

| Reply
Jul 30, 2020 21:43:53   #
BrentHarder Loc: Southern California
 
Longshadow wrote:
Please educate me, I never see stories in any type of art.
Do I make my own interpretive story?
How do I know if I'm right?

Is she telling the kid "This is where you'll wind up if you don't behave!"?
or "This is where we get our fish from."?


Longshadow you don't have to see a story, it's whatever you want or like. You can make your own interpretive story or just leave it alone. No pressure. There is no wrong or right, so you don't need to feel bad if you don't have a story that goes with the image. Your last thoughts of "This is where you'll wind up if you don't behave!" OR "This is where we get our fish from." tells me that you are a creative person or you wouldn't have thought those thoughts at all!!!

| Reply
Jul 30, 2020 22:24:25   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
BrentHarder wrote:
Longshadow you don't have to see a story, it's whatever you want or like. You can make your own interpretive story or just leave it alone. No pressure. There is no wrong or right, so you don't need to feel bad if you don't have a story that goes with the image. Your last thoughts of "This is where you'll wind up if you don't behave!" OR "This is where we get our fish from." tells me that you are a creative person or you wouldn't have thought those thoughts at all!!!

Thanks, always wondered about "stories". Same thing in LIT 101 & 102 - what was the writer trying to say?
(Darned if I know!)

Thus the third line in my signature.

| Reply
Jul 30, 2020 22:32:15   #
Beowulf Loc: Southeastern MA
 
Brent, a marvelous departure from your usual wonderful surfing photos. I think it tells a story; It is a loving mom sharing words of wisdom with her child. She may be saying that, like the advancing and receding tide, life will have its ups and downs that one experiences in life’s journey. Or she may point to those footprints in the sand and point out that,good or bad, large or small, we all leave our mark, on the world around us.

| Reply
Jul 30, 2020 22:37:34   #
BrentHarder Loc: Southern California
 
I like your line of "What was the photographer trying to say? Maybe he just liked what he saw..." .
I'm an artist first and a photographer second. Often times in my photography I'm drawn to a composition or image......perhaps a repetition of objects, whatever......the VISUAL is my main draw and not the "story". To me, the image I have shown here wants to have a story behind it. Maybe it's the figures turned away from the photographer that says something? Looking......pondering.....wondering........
I think in my case, your line of "What was the photographer trying to say? Maybe he just liked what he saw..." could be spot on!!!

| Reply
Jul 30, 2020 22:41:19   #
couch coyote Loc: northern Illinois
 
Ooooh, absolutely lovely image!! And the story will be personal to each viewer. Or maybe it will be an emotion without words. You did your part by putting beauty out into the world; now the stories/feelings/appreciation will just ripple out from there . . .

| Reply
Jul 30, 2020 22:45:02   #
BrentHarder Loc: Southern California
 
Beowulf wrote:
Brent, a marvelous departure from your usual wonderful surfing photos. I think it tells a story; It is a loving mom sharing words of wisdom with her child. She may be saying that, like the advancing and receding tide, life will have its ups and downs that one experiences in life’s journey. Or she may point to those footprints in the sand and point out that,good or bad, large or small, we all leave our mark, on the world around us.


Oh Beowulf, what a wonderful way to view and digest this image! Thanks for your thoughts.

| Reply
Jul 30, 2020 22:47:09   #
BrentHarder Loc: Southern California
 
couch coyote wrote:
Ooooh, absolutely lovely image!! And the story will be personal to each viewer. Or maybe it will be an emotion without words. You did your part by putting beauty out into the world; now the stories/feelings/appreciation will just ripple out from there . . .


couch coyote, I love your response to this image! You seem like a poet!

| Reply
Jul 31, 2020 04:11:28   #
tradio Loc: Oxford, Ohio
 
Nicely done.

| Reply
Jul 31, 2020 06:05:09   #
Delderby Loc: Derby UK
 
It's a different sort of pic - well produced - it is easy for the viewer to imagine (s)he is there - in fact I thought I heard the sound of the sea.
PS - did you get your feet wet?

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.