Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Nymph
Jul 2, 2020 14:32:29   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
I was pulling grasses and weeds from around the dog exercise yard this morning and I noticed some tiny insects scurrying about so I grabbed one up and brought it inside for a focus stacking session. It wasn't until I looked at it under magnification that I could tell that it was a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug in its nymph stage. The legs were transparent at this stage of its life.

I've found a countless number of the adults so it was a learning experience to find how they nest their eggs and how the young spend there early time at the base of the weeds tight to the ground which I suspect is a place of safety for them where they can hide.


(Download)

| Reply
Jul 2, 2020 16:13:13   #
kpmac Loc: Ragley, La
 
You've done that species before if I remember correctly. This one is great.

| Reply
Jul 2, 2020 19:23:27   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
kpmac wrote:
You've done that species before if I remember correctly. This one is great.


Oh, Kpmac, I've done several of them for they are overly common here so they make a plentiful source for specimens. I've got a few varieties of them however they are all essentially the same except for coloration and the pock marks.

This one was ever so tiny and parts of it were clear or with little pigment. I suspect that they were just a stage or two from being a hatchling.

| Reply
Jul 3, 2020 06:18:41   #
EnglishBrenda Loc: Kent, England
 
I only ever see the adults, I think I don't look closely enough when pulling grass and weeds.

| Reply
Jul 3, 2020 08:35:19   #
docshark Loc: Long Neck, DE
 
Another super shot Gary with a nice narrative. Isn't it amazing what you can see and learn by just observing?
Early in dragon hunting I knew of some behaviors but was too bust shooting until I took the time to just sit and watch. Opened up a whole new appreciation for me.
-Doc

| Reply
Jul 3, 2020 09:06:52   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
EnglishBrenda wrote:
I only ever see the adults, I think I don't look closely enough when pulling grass and weeds.


Thanks, Brenda. I'm staged many Stink Bugs and I'm most likely do continue to do more for I believe that they make interesting subjects, they are quite plentiful and those that enjoy their gardens find them to be a pest.

| Reply
Jul 3, 2020 09:16:55   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
docshark wrote:
Another super shot Gary with a nice narrative. Isn't it amazing what you can see and learn by just observing?
Early in dragon hunting I knew of some behaviors but was too bust shooting until I took the time to just sit and watch. Opened up a whole new appreciation for me.
-Doc


Thanks, Doc. I've only taken the first few step of what I'm sure will be a never ending adventure.

| Reply
Jul 3, 2020 10:48:19   #
tinusbum Loc: east texas
 
love those eyes!!!!!

| Reply
Jul 3, 2020 12:02:34   #
newtoyou Loc: Eastport
 
docshark wrote:
Another super shot Gary with a nice narrative. Isn't it amazing what you can see and learn by just observing?
Early in dragon hunting I knew of some behaviors but was too bust shooting until I took the time to just sit and watch. Opened up a whole new appreciation for me.
-Doc


One of my favorite pastimes.
Sit quietly in a woods and observe.
Forgeting the camera, cares and worries, just observing.
Hello Doc, did you catch the Horseshoe Crab spawn at Bowers Beach?
I missed this year.
Bill

| Reply
Jul 3, 2020 13:24:36   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
tinusbum wrote:
love those eyes!!!!!


Thanks, Tinusbum. When I grow up I hope to be able to find and document the critters that you do time after time. Until then I'll continue to work with staged specimens under controlled settings.

| Reply
Jul 3, 2020 13:26:14   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
newtoyou wrote:
One of my favorite pastimes.
Sit quietly in a woods and observe.
Forgeting the camera, cares and worries, just observing.
Hello Doc, did you catch the Horseshoe Crab spawn at Bowers Beach?
I missed this year.
Bill


Wow, Bill. Horseshoe Crabs are the true dinosaurs among us with blood that runs blue.

| Reply
Jul 3, 2020 13:54:26   #
docshark Loc: Long Neck, DE
 
sippyjug104 wrote:
Thanks, Doc. I've only taken the first few step of what I'm sure will be a never ending adventure.


I will guarantee it!
-Doc

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.