Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Egg Casing
Jun 29, 2020 16:39:20   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
This is a recent addition of the Bill (newtoyou) collection provided for magnified focus stacking sessions and to share with others on the forum.

Frankly, I would have have never of imagined what this was other than Bill putting my ability to stage a subject to the ultimate tests for this is ever so tiny.

Still wondering..? Looks quite strange, doesn't it. Almost looks like the thing that my Better Half uses in the shower to scrub her body to create a lather. But it's not.

According to the description provided by Bill it is the egg casing of a Leaf Mimic Bug which he has raised many of. If you look to the right you will see where it split the casing open and the insect emerged.


(Download)

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 19:03:51   #
kpmac Loc: Ragley, La
 
Odd looking. Nice image, though, sippy.

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 19:49:57   #
tinusbum Loc: east texas
 
good stack sippy!

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 20:09:09   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
kpmac wrote:
Odd looking. Nice image, though, sippy.


Thanks, Kpmac. I agree and had Bill not told me what they were I would not have had a clue.

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 20:13:15   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
tinusbum wrote:
good stack sippy!


Tinusbum, I know that you are great at finding insect eggs which is something that I have yet to do. I'm sure that I would not have identified these as being eggs and would have passed them by.

| Reply
Jun 30, 2020 04:25:06   #
EnglishBrenda Loc: Kent, England
 
It is interesting to see how the design of egg shells strengthens them.

| Reply
Jun 30, 2020 08:18:37   #
docshark Loc: Long Neck, DE
 
Pretty cool Gary.
-Doc

| Reply
Jun 30, 2020 12:21:04   #
dennis2146 Loc: So California/Colorado/Idaho
 
That is an incredible photo. It does look like a loofa sponge. Well done my friend.

Dennis

| Reply
Jul 1, 2020 10:32:11   #
newtoyou Loc: Eastport
 
sippyjug104 wrote:
This is a recent addition of the Bill (newtoyou) collection provided for magnified focus stacking sessions and to share with others on the forum.

Frankly, I would have have never of imagined what this was other than Bill putting my ability to stage a subject to the ultimate tests for this is ever so tiny.

Still wondering..? Looks quite strange, doesn't it. Almost looks like the thing that my Better Half uses in the shower to scrub her body to create a lather. But it's not.

According to the description provided by Bill it is the egg casing of a Leaf Mimic Bug which he has raised many of. If you look to the right you will see where it split the casing open and the insect emerged.
This is a recent addition of the Bill (newtoyou) c... (show quote)


If you look closely among the eggs, you may find some small concave discs, somewhat clear.
They are the operculum that comes off to allow escape from the egg.
They reminded me of the movie where Jim Carey is ' birthed' by the rhino.
I believe you will be able to while away a good bit of time with this batch.
A study of eyes might be in order.
There are many beetles. Many of them Tenebrionids.
They are easily found under bark in winter and later, on flowers and leaves.
Dragonflies just becoming realy active, along with wildlife in general. Collecting and photographing have been productive.
Till next time.
Gary, all.
Bill

| Reply
Jul 1, 2020 12:26:09   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
EnglishBrenda wrote:
It is interesting to see how the design of egg shells strengthens them.


Thanks, Brenda. Nature produces some of the most interesting structures.

| Reply
Jul 1, 2020 12:27:24   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
docshark wrote:
Pretty cool Gary.
-Doc


Thanks, Doc. It pleases me that you enjoyed seeing them.

| Reply
Jul 1, 2020 12:30:40   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
newtoyou wrote:
If you look closely among the eggs, you may find some small concave discs, somewhat clear.
They are the operculum that comes off to allow escape from the egg.
They reminded me of the movie where Jim Carey is ' birthed' by the rhino.
I believe you will be able to while away a good bit of time with this batch.
A study of eyes might be in order.
There are many beetles. Many of them Tenebrionids.
They are easily found under bark in winter and later, on flowers and leaves.
Dragonflies just becoming realy active, along with wildlife in general. Collecting and photographing have been productive.
Till next time.
Gary, all.
Bill
If you look closely among the eggs, you may find s... (show quote)


Bill, Thanks ever so much for sharing your collections of specimens with me. I truly enjoy photographing them under various magnifications and sharing them for all to see.

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.