Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Photo Gallery
heron with a snack
Oct 16, 2011 20:26:46   #
SQUIRL033 Loc: Chehalis, WA
 
got this great blue heron noshing on a minnow at a park near where i used to live. he was only about 15 feet away, and i had to back off the zoom to get even this much of him in... 30D, 80-400 @ 155mm, 1/200 @ f/5.6



Reply
Oct 16, 2011 20:27:49   #
Dria Loc: Ohio
 
wowzers! fantastic shot!

Reply
Oct 16, 2011 20:29:03   #
tilde531 Loc: Seaford Delaware
 
SQUIRL033 wrote:
got this great blue heron noshing on a minnow at a park near where i used to live. he was only about 15 feet away, and i had to back off the zoom to get even this much of him in... 30D, 80-400 @ 155mm, 1/200 @ f/5.6


We're on the same wavelength tonight LOL
I was just about to post a blue heron photo I was proud of... till I saw THIS!! :D

Fantastic!

Reply
 
 
Oct 16, 2011 21:17:58   #
PipesCJ7 Loc: Cordova, Alaska/Shoreline, WA/ Merritt, BC
 
Here's a few more. These were taken in Washington Park Arboretum near the University of Washington. Fun bird to photograph.







Reply
Oct 16, 2011 21:18:52   #
tilde531 Loc: Seaford Delaware
 
PipesCJ7 wrote:
Here's a few more. These were taken in Washington Park Arboretum near the University of Washington. Fun bird to photograph.

Gracious!
Outstanding, too!

(In both of these examples, the heron is more gray than in mine. I don't have the same camera for one thing, but also I'm wondering if the bright sunlight in tandem with the reflective light of the brownish autumn reflections in the water it's standing in, made the blue brighter in mine??)

I like these MUCH better!

Reply
Oct 16, 2011 21:50:31   #
PipesCJ7 Loc: Cordova, Alaska/Shoreline, WA/ Merritt, BC
 
The weather that day was a typical foggy morning in Seattle. The bird was actually standing in a fallen tree. Initially it was asleep on one leg and I woke it up! It stood there for about a minute then shook off the cobwebs and took off. These were shot in NEF RAW, no editing other than cropping. Glad you enjoy the pics. CJ7

Reply
Oct 16, 2011 23:30:01   #
SQUIRL033 Loc: Chehalis, WA
 
tilde531 wrote:
PipesCJ7 wrote:
Here's a few more. These were taken in Washington Park Arboretum near the University of Washington. Fun bird to photograph.

Gracious!
Outstanding, too!

(In both of these examples, the heron is more gray than in mine. I don't have the same camera for one thing, but also I'm wondering if the bright sunlight in tandem with the reflective light of the brownish autumn reflections in the water it's standing in, made the blue brighter in mine??)

I like these MUCH better!
quote=PipesCJ7 Here's a few more. These were take... (show quote)


great blues are mostly gray, with dark gray - almost black - patches on the sides of their heads and on their shoulders. the blue is mainly in their wing primaries, and varies in shades of dark slate blue-gray. in dull, gray light like the last two, they're mostly just shades of gray all over, but in brighter light, especially with reflections from the water, they can be quite striking.

Reply
 
 
Oct 17, 2011 02:07:41   #
mommy115 Loc: California
 
I totally love this! Such beautiful focus and color, composition too. The blurred background is perfect and have the dried reeds in there looks so good! Such a tiny little snack!

Reply
Oct 17, 2011 06:43:36   #
BBNC
 
Great Shots!!! You said it was a gray day...that made perfect lighting for good color saturation, and no tricky highlights or shadows from strong sunlight.

Reply
Oct 17, 2011 07:54:26   #
tilde531 Loc: Seaford Delaware
 
SQUIRL033 wrote:

great blues are mostly gray, with dark gray - almost black - patches on the sides of their heads and on their shoulders. the blue is mainly in their wing primaries, and varies in shades of dark slate blue-gray. in dull, gray light like the last two, they're mostly just shades of gray all over, but in brighter light, especially with reflections from the water, they can be quite striking.


Well then, maybe what I have isn't so bad!?

May I share it here?

The blues really were surprising to me, as I had been trying to get this heron to let me photograph it for a couple of years.

Then one day, it just sat there... let me get fairly close @015-20 ft., so I still had to zoom) and I got MANY shots... pretty good ones for this camera's limitations (and the fact that it was hand-held).

They ALL had this glorious blue range, especially when it stretched its wings. The bright sunlight blew out the white in its face and neck, but the blue is really what caught my eye anyway.

(crap, forgot to uncheck the watermark spot, sorry. grrr)

Blue Heron standing in the creek water
Blue Heron standing in the creek water...

Spooked
Spooked...

Blue Splendor
Blue Splendor...

Reply
Oct 17, 2011 07:58:54   #
Eagle68 Loc: Altamont, NY
 
May I add a couple? Maybe not as good as the others in the thread, but hey...here it goes





Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Photo Gallery
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2023 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.