Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Challenge: "SunStars" March 26-28 2020
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27 next>>
Mar 25, 2020 22:27:36   #
Photogirl17 Loc: Glenwood, Ark.
 
"Sunstar How to"


1) Small Apertures – generally speaking, you’ll have to use a small aperture, something like f16 or f22 to make fully-formed crisp sun stars. Wider apertures like f2.8 or f5.6 simply don’t cut it. The starburst is caused by light passing through a small aperture and being diffracted (or spread out) across the aperture blades in the lens. The more blades and the less curved they are the better the star. Not all lenses are created equally.

2) Hard Edge Obstruction – Although you can make a nice star when shooting the sun high in the sky, you will get the best results (i.e. small size with minimal flare) when you play peek-a-boo with the light source. To do this position the camera so the sun (or other light source) is mostly obscured by some compositional element in your frame – something like a clean horizon, edge of a tree, rock outcrop or building, harder and/or smoother edges yield the best results.

3) High Fidelity Light – In addition to obscuring the light source, I find it’s best to use whats called high-fidelity light, namely light that is pure and clean. When the light is being filtered through high clouds, atmospheric haze or fog the resulting sunstars tend to be muddy and lack clarity.

4) Use Live View to Preview – Once you've settled on your composition and are ready to shoot, using Live View in conjunction with the depth of field preview button (sorry Nikon people) to preview how your sunstar will look as well as get a sense for how much flare is being produced. You may be surprised to see how much a little shift in camera position (up/down, left/right) can change the size and shape of your sunstar, as well as how much resulting flare you’ve got in the frame. You can also use this method when choosing your aperture as you’ll see exactly what the sunstar will look like. You may not need to stop all the way down to f22 to get the desired effect.

5) Not all Lenses are Equal – Unfortunately this is one area where the gear really does make the difference. Not all lenses make sunstars or handle flare equally. Generally speaking, the higher quality “pro” level glass make better, more defined sunstars than “consumer” level lenses.


Here is a Link to a Pretty good Video as well..
https://youtu.be/OpPI2AVFS4w

I'm doing this Challenge because It's something I've been trying to learn myself. and I thought some of you might want to learn as well..

The weather Here has been pretty yucky, so I haven't been able to get out as much as I'd like Of course this Viral state of affairs hasn't helped either, I'm hoping to try a bit more using artificial Light..
First actual attempt back in 2017
First actual attempt back in 2017...
(Download)
This one I wasn't trying for it just happened..
This one I wasn't trying for it just happened.....
(Download)
1/100 sec. f/22 50mm ISO/100 taken a couple nights ago just before Sunset.
1/100 sec. f/22 50mm ISO/100 taken a couple nights...
(Download)

| Reply
Mar 25, 2020 22:56:07   #
Transbuff1985 Loc: east central Iowa
 
Photogirl17 wrote:
"Sunstar How to"


1) Small Apertures – generally speaking, you’ll have to use a small aperture, something like f16 or f22 to make fully-formed crisp sun stars. Wider apertures like f2.8 or f5.6 simply don’t cut it. The starburst is caused by light passing through a small aperture and being diffracted (or spread out) across the aperture blades in the lens. The more blades and the less curved they are the better the star. Not all lenses are created equally.

2) Hard Edge Obstruction – Although you can make a nice star when shooting the sun high in the sky, you will get the best results (i.e. small size with minimal flare) when you play peek-a-boo with the light source. To do this position the camera so the sun (or other light source) is mostly obscured by some compositional element in your frame – something like a clean horizon, edge of a tree, rock outcrop or building, harder and/or smoother edges yield the best results.

3) High Fidelity Light – In addition to obscuring the light source, I find it’s best to use whats called high-fidelity light, namely light that is pure and clean. When the light is being filtered through high clouds, atmospheric haze or fog the resulting sunstars tend to be muddy and lack clarity.

4) Use Live View to Preview – Once you've settled on your composition and are ready to shoot, using Live View in conjunction with the depth of field preview button (sorry Nikon people) to preview how your sunstar will look as well as get a sense for how much flare is being produced. You may be surprised to see how much a little shift in camera position (up/down, left/right) can change the size and shape of your sunstar, as well as how much resulting flare you’ve got in the frame. You can also use this method when choosing your aperture as you’ll see exactly what the sunstar will look like. You may not need to stop all the way down to f22 to get the desired effect.

5) Not all Lenses are Equal – Unfortunately this is one area where the gear really does make the difference. Not all lenses make sunstars or handle flare equally. Generally speaking, the higher quality “pro” level glass make better, more defined sunstars than “consumer” level lenses.


Here is a Link to a Pretty good Video as well..
https://youtu.be/OpPI2AVFS4w

I'm doing this Challenge because It's something I've been trying to learn myself. and I thought some of you might want to learn as well..

The weather Here has been pretty yucky, so I haven't been able to get out as much as I'd like Of course this Viral state of affairs hasn't helped either, I'm hoping to try a bit more using artificial Light..
"Sunstar How to" br br br 1) Small Ape... (show quote)


Nice start Lesley. Nice way of defining to get the end results. Sometimes when not even planning you get them. I don't have much in this area been trying the last few months - BUT YOU NEED THE SUN - which Iowa don't see much of this time of year. see what I can dig up.
Thanks for hosting!!

| Reply
Mar 25, 2020 23:32:27   #
Photogirl17 Loc: Glenwood, Ark.
 
Transbuff1985 wrote:
Nice start Lesley. Nice way of defining to get the end results. Sometimes when not even planning you get them. I don't have much in this area been trying the last few months - BUT YOU NEED THE SUN - which Iowa don't see much of this time of year. see what I can dig up.
Thanks for hosting!!


Save the Info Bob and Use it when The Sun does come out of hiding..(you can get the same Stars on a clear night with the street lights)

| Reply
Mar 25, 2020 23:37:53   #
Transbuff1985 Loc: east central Iowa
 
Photogirl17 wrote:
Save the Info Bob and Use it when The Sun does come out of hiding..(you can get the same Stars on a clear night with the street lights)


Thank you - remember this one - This is the one you processed for me last spring!!
Almost got it.
I took this but Photogirl processed it for me.
I took this but Photogirl processed it for me....
(Download)

| Reply
Mar 25, 2020 23:41:02   #
CindyHouk Loc: Columbia Falls MT
 
Thanks for the explanation and I enjoy trying to get the SunStars....I have gotten lucky a few times and here is one of a sunstar and one of a moonstar.


(Download)


(Download)

| Reply
Mar 26, 2020 00:50:31   #
Dr.Nikon Loc: Honolulu Hawaii
 
CindyHouk wrote:
Thanks for the explanation and I enjoy trying to get the SunStars....I have gotten lucky a few times and here is one of a sunstar and one of a moonstar.


Well .., here are a few from my archives ...1/2 dome moon rise .... (moon rise )
And 2 from the Glacier Point hike ...a sun star
Download for viewing /Glacier Point MOON
Download for viewing /Glacier Point MOON...
(Download)
Glacier Point hike to the Mist Trail ..
Glacier Point hike to the Mist Trail .....
(Download)
Glacier Point Yosemite ..
Glacier Point Yosemite .....
(Download)

| Reply
Mar 26, 2020 05:37:55   #
Resqu2 Loc: SW Va
 
Spur of the moment sitting in a drive through. Saw the flag and opened the sunroof and just snapped. Didn’t even have time to check my settings.


(Download)

| Reply
Mar 26, 2020 06:21:29   #
Roadrunner Loc: Quebec, Canada
 
Interesting..... Shot the other morning. Hope it works


(Download)



| Reply
Mar 26, 2020 07:44:33   #
judy juul Loc: Cheshire, Ct.
 
CindyHouk wrote:
Thanks for the explanation and I enjoy trying to get the SunStars....I have gotten lucky a few times and here is one of a sunstar and one of a moonstar.


Blue one is really lovely, Cindy!

| Reply
Mar 26, 2020 07:48:17   #
DIRTY HARRY Loc: Hartland, Michigan
 
Good Morning Star-shine.
Sun rises over the mountain.
Sun rises over the mountain....
(Download)
Outside my hotel window Sedona, Arizona.
Outside my hotel window Sedona, Arizona....
(Download)

| Reply
Mar 26, 2020 07:49:54   #
judy juul Loc: Cheshire, Ct.
 
Here's one ...


(Download)

| Reply
Mar 26, 2020 07:58:23   #
Fred Ann Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
 
A couple of sun stars from a few summers ago.
Just one more, not very pointy, but taken just passing by the Quebec bridge one day.
and one more taken at night, not a star but probably a street light seen just below the moon, I call it a night light star.









| Reply
Mar 26, 2020 08:10:39   #
PAToGraphy Loc: Portland ME area
 
Thanks for hosting, Lesley. Will have to see what I have and return.

| Reply
Mar 26, 2020 09:15:37   #
Roadrunner Loc: Quebec, Canada
 
Fred Ann wrote:
A couple of sun stars from a few summers ago.
Just one more, not very pointy, but taken just passing by the Quebec bridge one day.
and one more taken at night, not a star but probably a street light seen just below the moon, I call it a night light star.


I am smiling, Ann.

| Reply
Mar 26, 2020 09:30:25   #
photophile Loc: Lakewood, Ohio, USA
 
Ten here:


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.