Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Nikon D 6 now on the list
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5
Feb 16, 2020 00:08:51   #
JD750 Loc: SoCal
 
billnikon wrote:
As a Nikon Professional Services Member I get to put my 2 cents worth in all the time. And guess what, I get messages back on my input. With Sony and Canon, not so much.
You should really do your research before you make statements like this, "Unfortunately Nikon is notorious for ignoring customer feedback". Yet another post here without any research what so ever.


How long were customers asking for a mirrorless camera?

| Reply
Feb 16, 2020 02:10:03   #
mwsilvers Loc: Central New Jersey
 
Architect1776 wrote:
Ok.
Not sure where this is more than a very slight refresh of the D5.
Perhaps need more info.


Here is Jared Polin's take. His Youtube video is entitled "OFFICIAL Nikon D6 PREVIEW | HIGHLY DISAPPOINTING!!!". Like you, he's not impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kSEfW5Rr_0

| Reply
Feb 16, 2020 06:22:04   #
billnikon Loc: Pennsylvania/Ohio/Florida/Maui/Oregon/Vermont
 
JD750 wrote:
How long were customers asking for a mirrorless camera?


Sorry, I am not Nikon, if you need to know that question, why not call them. I am sure lots of Nikon folks wanted to jump on the new boat called mirrorless.

| Reply
Feb 16, 2020 06:54:44   #
Architect1776 Loc: Williamsport Pa
 
mwsilvers wrote:
Here is Jared Polin's take. His Youtube video is entitled "OFFICIAL Nikon D6 PREVIEW | HIGHLY DISAPPOINTING!!!". Like you, he's not impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kSEfW5Rr_0


Earlier here I posted the side by side specs of the D5 and D6 (From Nikon Rumors).
I found it after I made the original post.
I did not see much difference except for the claim of far superior AF over the D5.

| Reply
Feb 16, 2020 06:57:06   #
Architect1776 Loc: Williamsport Pa
 
billnikon wrote:
Sorry, I am not Nikon, if you need to know that question, why not call them. I am sure lots of Nikon folks wanted to jump on the new boat called mirrorless.


It has been shown that even Sony a9II struggles in the pro sports arena compared to the Nikon as well as the Canon sports duo. Mirrorless still lags behind.
The Canon 1DX MIII though seems to be a hybrid showing mirrorless qualities in a DSLR.

| Reply
Feb 16, 2020 07:12:05   #
Dalek Loc: Detroit, Miami, Goffstown
 
I have a new angle on the D6. I am a D5 owner (and NPS member) and made the mistake of trying to compare specs without having the D6 in my hands. Actually, the D5 fits my needs very well. Now, let us look at a new D6 potential buyer who does not own a D5. I think a new buyer considering the D6 would find it's features quit appealing. Given the buyer was a Nikon user and had the funds to purchase the camera. I am sure he would be very happy with the features of the camera. On paper, standing alone without comparison to myriad different bodies from different manufacturers, the new D6 seems to have many good points. I also understand the comparative comments made by various writers. Personally, I will wait to read and watch Steve Perry's review.
Keep shooting

| Reply
Feb 16, 2020 09:21:39   #
Leitz Loc: West of London
 
JD750 wrote:
How long were customers asking for a mirrorless camera?

Not everyone is a mirrorless fanboy.

| Reply
Feb 16, 2020 10:10:14   #
billnikon Loc: Pennsylvania/Ohio/Florida/Maui/Oregon/Vermont
 
Leitz wrote:
Not everyone is a mirrorless fanboy.



| Reply
Feb 16, 2020 12:11:37   #
RWR Loc: La Mesa, CA
 
JD750 wrote:
Unfortunately Nikon is notorious for ignoring customer feedback.

May we assume that you are unaware of how the Nikon F3P came into being? (This is but one of many examples of Nikon relying on consumer feedback.)

| Reply
Feb 16, 2020 12:15:39   #
Architect1776 Loc: Williamsport Pa
 
JohnM wrote:
FX
Format
20.8
Megapixels
14 FPS
Continuous Shooting
100-102,400
ISO Expandable to 3,280,000
4K UHD
3840 x 2160 at 30/25/24p

@ $6400 what a bargain


An interesting article. Not a resounding endorsement but sounds like making excuses.
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/6-reasons-to-be-hyped-for-the-nikon-d6

| Reply
Feb 16, 2020 13:24:24   #
BebuLamar
 
Architect1776 wrote:
An interesting article. Not a resounding endorsement but sounds like making excuses.
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/6-reasons-to-be-hyped-for-the-nikon-d6


Being a Nikon fan. A Nikon user since 1977. A DSLR lover and don't care for mirrorless. With all that said, I feel the D6 isn't better than the D5.

| Reply
Feb 16, 2020 13:37:33   #
Architect1776 Loc: Williamsport Pa
 
BebuLamar wrote:
Being a Nikon fan. A Nikon user since 1977. A DSLR lover and don't care for mirrorless. With all that said, I feel the D6 isn't better than the D5.


Who knows.
It looks to be the end of the DSLR era unless some incredible technology comes along to revive it.
As Nikon has said, the flange distance and size of the Z allows for simpler design, especially in the WA realm and physics apparently proves this so mirrorless looks to dominate the future as long as one cannot fit a mirror in the short distance and move it out of the way for the photo.
The mirror has had a good run and will survive but not likely at the cutting edge anymore.

| Reply
Feb 16, 2020 21:01:02   #
JD750 Loc: SoCal
 
Leitz wrote:
Not everyone is a mirrorless fanboy.


And Billikon.

It doesn’t matter if you are a “mirrorless fanboy” (to use Leitz’s pejorative phrase) or not. The facts are that mirrorless cameras are cheaper to manufacture and higher reliability, and require less maintenance, and Sony ate Caincon’s lunch by increasing Sony’s piece of the high performance camera market-share using mirrorless cameras, in a shrinking market. Now Canicon are playing catch-up. Had they listened to their customers, pro photographers, and sales people it may have been different. However if you guys (Nikon reps) were telling Nikon not to worry mirrorless is a fad, and Nikon corporate listened, then perhaps their loss of market share to Sony is not all Nikon’s fault.

| Reply
Feb 16, 2020 22:01:16   #
chasgroh Loc: Buena Park, CA
 
JD750 wrote:
And Billikon.

It doesn’t matter if you are a “mirrorless fanboy” (to use Leitz’s pejorative phrase) or not. The facts are that mirrorless cameras are cheaper to manufacture and higher reliability, and require less maintenance, and Sony ate Caincon’s lunch by increasing Sony’s piece of the high performance camera market-share using mirrorless cameras, in a shrinking market. Now Canicon are playing catch-up. Had they listened to their customers, pro photographers, and sales people it may have been different. However if you guys (Nikon reps) were telling Nikon not to worry mirrorless is a fad, and Nikon corporate listened, then perhaps their loss of market share to Sony is not all Nikon’s fault.
And Billikon. br br It doesn’t matter if you ar... (show quote)


These threads, when they degenerate thusly, are pretty funny. WTF, man, who cares? Moreover, why do *you* care?

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.