Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Nikon D 6 now on the list
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
Feb 13, 2020 23:27:09   #
Architect1776 Loc: Williamsport Pa
 
fredpnm wrote:
Please recheck your information on the D850, the D850 is a 45.7Mp sensor.


Both are FF sensors as stated.
Just different MP as stated.

| Reply
Feb 13, 2020 23:47:33   #
tommyII Loc: Northern Illinois
 
The D6 will appeal to people with two distinct characteristics. A good amount of money, and a huge case of Gas. Kind of like car people who desired the 2019 Lamborghini over the 2018 Lamborghini. Not a lot of difference except for the "Gotta Have" and "Can Afford" affliction.

| Reply
Feb 14, 2020 00:05:35   #
Jim Eads Loc: Simi Valley, CA
 
I agree with Bob (RMalarz). The camera doesn't make the photographer. A local photo club here there is an older woman with an old 4MP point and shoot and she wins awards ALL OF THE TIME! As for new cameras, the specs on the Nikon sound good but when you look at the specs on the new Olympus and Canon it dims the lights on the Nikon easily. I shoot a D850 and although I upgrade when I can, I do not see doing so with the D6. Yes I could afford it but no, I don't think it worth the jump. I agree on holding out in hopes that the new Expeed6 processor would come out on the next iteration of the D850... the D880? After all there is a D780. :)

| Reply
Feb 14, 2020 00:10:19   #
JD750 Loc: SoCal
 
fredpnm wrote:
Please recheck your information on the D850, the D850 is a 45.7Mp sensor.


The sensors are the same size, 36mm x 24mm. That is the size of a "full frame" sensor.
The resolution of the sensors is different, 50 Mp (apprx) vs 20 Mp.

| Reply
Feb 14, 2020 00:35:20   #
cjc2 Loc: Hellertown PA
 
Nikon has released the complete specs on the D6 and offered priority ordering to NPS members. It is clearly built for (and aimed at) sports shooters (me) and will be delivered, as expected, before the summer Olympics. The new focusing system, along with 1 additional stop (ISO wize) is intriguing and I am waiting to give mine a go before Fall football. I was hoping for some other things (IBIS), but this is what Nikon is giving us. The D4s and D5 remain viable and outstanding cameras with slighter lesser focusing systems (anticipated). These are expensive, very high end bodies, which are not for everyone or every subject. It is rightly said that the BEST camera is the one you have with you, and this now most certainly includes your phone. As I haven't even seen one, nor have I used one, it is impossible to comment further. Anyone that does is most likely guessing. After I shoot a few night football games with it and look at the images, I'll have a much more detailed opinion.

| Reply
Feb 14, 2020 00:50:32   #
cjc2 Loc: Hellertown PA
 
fredpnm wrote:
Please recheck your information on the D850, the D850 is a 45.7Mp sensor.


The (physical) size of the sensor is the same, or close enough. If you don't want/need a D6, that's perfectly fine, but it isn't helpful to be negative about something you couldn't know much about. Go out, take photos, learn and do it all once, twice, three times again. Have fun. Best of luck.

| Reply
Feb 14, 2020 01:07:52   #
chasgroh Loc: Buena Park, CA
 
tommyII wrote:
The D6 will appeal to people with two distinct characteristics. A good amount of money, and a huge case of Gas. Kind of like car people who desired the 2019 Lamborghini over the 2018 Lamborghini. Not a lot of difference except for the "Gotta Have" and "Can Afford" affliction.


Also someone who shoots sports...because that's what it's for. FYI, I'd use my D5 anywhere for anything and put out great content (it is, without a doubt, the best camera I own), but my other bodies do different things. The Z6 is my camera of choice for general purpose, and I love it to death. And I see absolutely no need to upgrade to a D6...I'll betcha I have a lot of company. However, if I were a jobbing busy-all-the-time pro I'd prolly make the leap. <shrug>

| Reply
Feb 14, 2020 02:27:52   #
Leitz Loc: West of London
 
Photomac wrote:
Several years ago I wrote NIKON USA in White Plains, NY outlining their absolutely destructive business model clearly designed for eventual failure. Looks like they are still driving hard to fail. We all know the issues. Now they spend precious R&D on a camera clearly way behind its time when they should be moving ahead at lightspeed with the mirrorless technology. Yes there are some diehards that relish the big boy and I've had several myself because of the FPS and ISO factors, but in the end the weight, limited crop, and cost outweighed those parameters. I thought the D850 pretty much would be the apex of the DSLR. I
Several years ago I wrote NIKON USA in White Plain... (show quote)

So you actually pretended to tell Nikon how to do their market research? I'm sure they appreciated the laughs!

| Reply
Feb 14, 2020 07:13:13   #
BebuLamar
 
JD750 wrote:
The sensors are the same size, 36mm x 24mm. That is the size of a "full frame" sensor.
The resolution of the sensors is different, 50 Mp (apprx) vs 20 Mp.


Sensor of the 2 cameras are same size. 35.9x23.9mm slightly smaller than that of the D4.

| Reply
Feb 14, 2020 18:04:25   #
JD750 Loc: SoCal
 
Leitz wrote:
So you actually pretended to tell Nikon how to do their market research? I'm sure they appreciated the laughs!


As a customer he is free to voice his opinion. Unfortunately Nikon is notorious for ignoring customer feedback.

One could argue that a good consumer company should listen to it’s customers, the company might not do what customers ask but at least they know where they stand and what the customers want.

| Reply
Feb 14, 2020 18:44:34   #
fredpnm Loc: Corrales, NM
 
Architect1776 wrote:
Both are FF sensors as stated.
Just different MP as stated.


Yeah, well that's true if that's what was meant by size, in which case I retract my comment on the subject.

The one dollar bill and the hundred dollar bill are the same size, which one do you want?

| Reply
Feb 14, 2020 21:03:35   #
Architect1776 Loc: Williamsport Pa
 
fredpnm wrote:
Yeah, well that's true if that's what was meant by size, in which case I retract my comment on the subject.

The one dollar bill and the hundred dollar bill are the same size, which one do you want?


The one dollar bill.
Good story behind saying that.

| Reply
Feb 14, 2020 22:32:03   #
fredpnm Loc: Corrales, NM
 
Architect1776 wrote:
The one dollar bill.
Good story behind saying that.


Off topic just a bit but, did you know there are more one hundred dollar bills in circulation than one dollar bills?

| Reply
Feb 15, 2020 06:46:14   #
billnikon Loc: Pennsylvania/Ohio/Florida/Maui/Oregon/Vermont
 
JD750 wrote:
As a customer he is free to voice his opinion. Unfortunately Nikon is notorious for ignoring customer feedback.

One could argue that a good consumer company should listen to it’s customers, the company might not do what customers ask but at least they know where they stand and what the customers want.


As a Nikon Professional Services Member I get to put my 2 cents worth in all the time. And guess what, I get messages back on my input. With Sony and Canon, not so much.
You should really do your research before you make statements like this, "Unfortunately Nikon is notorious for ignoring customer feedback". Yet another post here without any research what so ever.

| Reply
Feb 15, 2020 07:15:30   #
Architect1776 Loc: Williamsport Pa
 
fredpnm wrote:
Off topic just a bit but, did you know there are more one hundred dollar bills in circulation than one dollar bills?


Here is the short version of the story.
A boy was shown to a stranger by a local as being stupid.
The local showed the boy a nickle and a quarter and asked which he wanted.
The boy took the nickle.
The local laughed and said to the stranger and said, "See how stupid this kid is?"
The local walked off and the stranger asked the boy. "Why do you take the nickle when the quarter is 5 times as much?"
The boy replies, "Because if I took the quarter they would quit giving me the money", and the boy walked away smiling.

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.